Help with replacing S1000RR parts

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewi81

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I had a bit of an off last year which fortunately didnt result in too much damage to myself nor the bike. I need to replace a few parts and just wondering how big a task this is / isnt?? I'm no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination!

The parts I have ordered are definitly broken but the areas surounding are relatively unscathed and so bolts etc should fit ok, like a replacement to a non damaged bike I would say...

I'm changing:-

Enging casing LH side [this is my biggest concern] - It looks like a few bolts with no gasket but I'm sure it cant be that straight forward?

Gearshift assist rod - I havent ordered this yet. The bar / rod is certainly bent from the impact so I'm not sure if I can source a replacement for the rod only or whether I need a full shift assist replacement? Either way, is this an easy fit?

Rearsets [R&G] - I cant see these being difficult?

I'm also changing Levers, Tail tidy, indicator stalks, bar ends etc but these look quite straight forward.

Any advice or tips on the points above would be much appreciated. Is it a mechanics job or should I be able to replace these myself?

Thanks
Dewi

Hi Guys,

I had a bit of an off last year which fortunately didnt result in too much damage to myself nor the bike. I need to replace a few parts and just wondering how big a task this is / isnt?? I'm no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination!

The parts I have ordered are definitly broken but the areas surounding are relatively unscathed and so bolts etc should fit ok, like a replacement to a non damaged bike I would say...

I'm changing:-

Enging casing LH side [this is my biggest concern] - It looks like a few bolts with no gasket but I'm sure it cant be that straight forward?

Gearshift assist rod - I havent ordered this yet. The bar / rod is certainly bent from the impact so I'm not sure if I can source a replacement for the rod only or whether I need a full shift assist replacement? Either way, is this an easy fit?

Rearsets [R&G] - I cant see these being difficult?

I'm also changing Levers, Tail tidy, indicator stalks, bar ends etc but these look quite straight forward.

Any advice or tips on the points above would be much appreciated. Is it a mechanics job or should I be able to replace these myself?

Thanks
Dewi

When you replace the bolts buy new bolts as when I fitted crash bungs the bolt sheared off when it hit the torque setting.

would you like to fit my tail tidy?

regards

charlie

Thanks FRS. I have ordered new bolts so I'll have a go.

I think I have enough bits of my own to fit! Lol! The tail tidy should be straight forward [hopefully] as I'm replacing R&G like for like...

Hi, you should be fine with the engine casing as long as you are careful to apply the correct torque values. I think the engine bolts are alu and require a 90 degree turn after the torque value has been reached to lock them in. I'd check with a dealer service department first on this, kinda critical. If the bolts snap it is a visit to the workshop.

the gearshift rod is easy enough but I don't know if it can be ordered as a part. Again, ring dealer to check.

the rest looks straight forward enough. Torque wrench and a set of torx heads and you'll be fine I reckon.

Hi, you should be fine with the engine casing as long as you are careful to apply the correct torque values. I think the engine bolts are alu and require a 90 degree turn after the torque value has been reached to lock them in. I'd check with a dealer service department first on this, kinda critical. If the bolts snap it is a visit to the workshop.

the gearshift rod is easy enough but I don't know if it can be ordered as a part. Again, ring dealer to check.

the rest looks straight forward enough. Torque wrench and a set of torx heads and you'll be fine I reckon.

Mine snapped when the torque wrench clicked and cost me £1600 to remove, BMW cost £1568, tooler £32 and it took them about 30 mins to get it out and insert the new bit to hold the new bolt.

the BMW cost was for trying to drill out and then removing and replacing head, shocking cost really.

I have a racefit on mine with baffle out very loud and keeps the motorist at bay(so far) lol better to be loud and heard than silent and took out lol

Back