HELP!!!! 2010 stuck in Race Mode

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andijoe

Reaction score
Hi everyone, for whatever reason my beloved Bella (2010 S1000RR) has decided that she no longer wants to change out of race mode. On my last track day about a month ago when it was actually raining she went from Rain (far too sluggish in my opinion for on track use) to Sport (again not quite what I needed as the track dried out) to Race (I think this worked well for me) no problem but now she won't change. I'm taking her in to Lind Motorrad, Welwyn Garden City on Thursday for a diagnostic check but in the mean time has anybody had the same issue and what was their experience in the fault and how was it rectified please? Is a new mode switch the way forward? And has anybody got one lying around that they don't need, if it is that?

Thank you in advance.

Andi

What actually happens?
When you press the mode button, does anything actually happen? Does the menu come up?
Try using WD40 on the switch if nothing happens when you press it.

If it is the switch gear, Stephen, on here has had some luck in fixing them.

Hi Alex, thank you for your reply. Nothing happens when I press the button with engine running and not and after spraying with WD40. She starts fine so I'm guessing it's the actual mode part of the switchgear. I'm scouring the t'interweb now to see if I can get one as that would appear to be the cause having spoken to a couple of service places.

It does sound like it's the switchgear, if you can't source a replacement drop me a line and I can repair it for you.

It's worth noting that wd40 will have no effect on the function of the switch gear :)

Thank you Stephen, that's a great help. I'm due at Snetterton on the 17th of July and will be hoping that I can get it sorted before then. I'm investigating prices as we speak, the cheapest so far is a fair bit and a 2nd hand unit. Out of interest how quickly can you turn it around and whereabouts are you situated? I'm in Hertfordshire, about 10 mins from Hertford town centre. Cheers, Andi

I'd take it somewhere better than Welwyn Garden City motorrad..

Hope it's sorted soon.

Thank you Stephen, that's a great help. I'm due at Snetterton on the 17th of July and will be hoping that I can get it sorted before then. I'm investigating prices as we speak, the cheapest so far is a fair bit and a 2nd hand unit. Out of interest how quickly can you turn it around and whereabouts are you situated? I'm in Hertfordshire, about 10 mins from Hertford town centre. Cheers, Andi

I'm up in Bradford.

If you can remove the switchgear and post it up to me I can test it and repair it for ?35 (incl return postage)

I will get it in the post to you the day after I receive it.

I'm not able to remove it until either tomorrow or Monday as I'm waiting for the right sized torx bit to arrive. I should then be able to get it off and posted to you but I'll let you know how I get on. Thank you. 👍🏻

I'd take it somewhere better than Welwyn Garden City motorrad..

Hope it's sorted soon.

Hi Felix,

Do you know of anywhere that's better as I haven't come across any other BMW bike places, main dealer or independent close to where I live? 🤔😢

Hi be very careful using Lind Motorrad Welyn, my friend is having an absolute nightmare with quality of work and customer service :(

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'd personally go to Maidenhead Motorrad or Alton Motorrad

Hi Keith, that's disappointing to hear and hope your friend can find somewhere better. I've personally had too bad of a service from them so far but I've only been there a couple of times so things may change. I do a lot of the work myself, it's just the computer/tester/ECU work that I can't as I don't have the kit.....at the moment. 😀👍🏻

And thank you Felix, I didn't know of those 2. They might be a bit too far for me as I'm a full time Dad with an 18 month old wee man and so I don't have the time to travel that far but I'll keep them in mind as an emergency location. 😩👍🏻

Just a quick one, are you able to start the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in?

Just a quick one, are you able to start the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in?

Hi Paul, I haven't tried and have now taken the switch apart. What would that do out of interest? Cheers

Hi Paul, I haven't tried and have now taken the switch apart. What would that do out of interest? Cheers

It would mean the clutch switch is broken, but I have since thought that even if it was broken you could still cycle through the options.

Latest posts

Back