Hello and RR Tailpacks / Luggage

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cristo

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
BMW Tailpack v's Kriega with a twist

Musings of different solutions after 3 years commuting and touring on a 2013 RR (and configuring my new 2016 today...):

Firstly the BMW tailpack ( from use on a 2013 S1000RR):
I have this and it is very good. It seems to take so much more kit than it looks like it should.
Having said that for a really long road trip, (say between 200 and 3k miles!), some extra precautions are necessary:
Prevention from marking the paint work where the strap loops round the tail. They just touch the paint work (2013 model) on each side and over time this does rub.
Prevention of the base marking the tail paint surface around the seat (only needs a little bit of grit to get in!)
Prevention of it slipping forward (this is purely down to understanding how to tune the straps correctly and then its fine)
--- I found that if you put the pack on the bike and 'just tighten' the straps, it would slip forward after settling. So, to avoid this;
--- ensure the straps are attached at the rear end of the rear peg mounts
--- once all straps are on and taught, pull the pack to the back and tighten rear strap again
--- now pull forward an check front straps again; good'n tight
--- placing it on rubber matting also helps it grip

To prevent marks two things:
i) I tend to always use cut to shape rubber matting with any luggage now - that way a slight error on my part or something slipping does not mark the bike.
ii) For the long road trip I bought some 3M transparent protector and covered the tail paintwork with it - brilliant stuff. I did th emorning of departure (ok it wasn't perfect!) I'm thinking of fitting some of this properly and permanently to tail of the new '16 bike.

Kriega Luggage for commuting including a Security Chain:

So....given I now commute on the RR, and given I don't want anything sitting on my nice new shiny paintwork every day, I have devised an every day solution more practical for my commuting needs using the following. I used to use a backpack but I so prefer removing the load and being free to ride:

1 x Kriega US10 - for my 16mm Almax Chain (this is a heavy bit of kit!)
1 x Kriega US20 - for my Laptop, box of bits and notepad
1 x Kriega 30 Backpack for occasional use when I need to load up with shoes and extras

Benefits of this (slightly customised approach TBA below) are:

1. It fits on the tail of the bike!
2. Luggage is easily removable (just unclip)
3. It is a flexible solution (tailor to fit); 1,2 or 3 bags (other options might be a US30 instead of the 20 or another stacked on top is perfectly feasible)
4. It does not touch the paintwork (because the small US10 is always on the bottom matching the footprint of the seat, and kept in place by the straps wrapping round the edge of the seat)
5. The metal hooks supplied by Kriega are below the seat (once bitten....I had a small scratch on my old bike where the Kriega hook slipped a bit - not possible now!)
6. The straps can be hidden below the seat when not in use
7. Totally secure - been doing this for three years and no issues

The principles are simple:

1. Always throw the rubber matting over the tail - its the insurance policy against scratches
(although not entirely necessary this wraps around the edge of the bag when the straps are on - but if the bag did move it would only be the rubber that touches the paint)
2. The luggage must not touch the paintwork - i.e. it sits on the seat only (remember the rubber mat is just an insurance policy!)

This is achieved by putting the smaller bag on the bottom (US10) and the bigger (US20) on top.
To support this I have four fitted Kriega straps under the seat ready to go - they just clip straight into the clasps on the bags (no need to hook in that's all under the seat).
To put the luggage on: place first bag on seat, clip in four straps and tighten. Then place second bag on top of first, clip in 4 straps and tighten. Job Done.

Fitting to 2013 and 2016 model:
In both cases I speak with Alarm fitted, so space is very restricted under the seat.
It is possible, but requires some extra patience for the 2016 as there seems to be less room.
The Kriega straps [with the hoops in] are attached to the sub-frame under seat.
The straps are tightened to their shortest around the sub-frame and the metal hooks attached to the loop under the seat.
From the hook the strap crosses to the other side of the bike and exits out of the 'other' side of the seat (it could come out of the same side but then we would have the metal hook external which is a threat to the paintwork, and in my opinion less convenient too).

If any one is interested there's some pics here (hope this is allowwed, I can't post pics I don't think as I'm new!):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B66cG2T3gl4mUHMtMnBEQ21RbWc
It took me a while to get what works for me so maybe some of this is of interest for someone.
cheers.

Latest posts

Back