German MotoGP 2019 Recommendations

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRH72

Reaction score
Thinking of popping across to the German MotoGP in 2019. Would like to pick up the Nurburgring on the way back (to UK). Not too fussed about seeing practice or qualifying only race day. Probably going to take a long weekend and wonder whether anyone has done a similar trip, can recommend hotels (ideally with secure parking), routes or otherwise. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Saw the post regarding Saturday's meet. Just need to establish what Mrs DRH is doing but weather & Mrs willing, I should be with you. Thanks again.

Hi DRH72, I've done the Ring on tourist days several times in various cars.

First, check out Ben Lovejoy's really useful website Nurburgring.org.uk as a guide, read as much of it as you can, it is good stuff. Do's and don'ts and practical stuff such as when the tourist days at the Ring are open and at what times, where to stay and suggested routes - for cars on motorways - not bikes.

It gets really busy at the Ring at "Tourist Day" weekends and if it rains (which is frequent), they tend not to let the bikes out at all until it is properly dry. Take your stock exhaust or your best noise baffles with you as they noise check the bikes most days at the barrier to the onto the Ring itself. Ride with your eyes constantly scanning the mirrors and treat it like the country road that you have never ridden before, ride it at 8/10th even if you have done a thousand laps on the PS4 - there are some crazy people on the Ring.

Be aware that every weekend that I have ever been to before, people have died. Mostly bikers, it is so busy on the Ring which is described as a one-way toll road, one mistake by themselves or other road users and they get run-over or smash themselves into the Armco. Honestly it is like the wild west out there, it wouldn't stay open as a venue for more than a week in safety conscious Blighty. No safety briefing, car drivers don't have to wear crash helmets, you arrive, buy your ticket queue for a short while and off you go. When there is a fatality, they shut the Ring for an hour or so whilst the Police take statements and the person is air-lifted to the local hospital where the Dr pronounces them dead so as not to add to the tally at the Ring! Then they lift the barriers and off we all go again. At busy weekends you'll struggle to get more than 2 or 3 laps in for a whole day because of the queues and your own mental exhaustion at the concentration required.

If you don't manage to get out on the Ring, the roads in the vicinity are an absolute delight, great road surfaces, plenty of vision around the corners and very little traffic.

I just wanted to add a little realism about the Ring for you.

Blimey! A chap at work did say that he had enjoyed the roads surrounding the Nurburgring more than the circuit. Given me something to consider though. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back