Gen 4 headers

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauly

Reaction score
I fancy removing some of the metal and weight from the headers, and gaining a little bit more noise. Not bothered about titanium, and I'd like to keep the original silencer. So what are the options, and would BMW take a dim view as the bike is under warranty for the next 3 years.

I fancy removing some of the metal and weight from the headers, and gaining a little bit more noise. Not bothered about titanium, and I'd like to keep the original silencer. So what are the options, and would BMW take a dim view as the bike is under warranty for the next 3 years.

I would think they would throw any claim out messing with the system, only way you will get more noise is cat delete

When I visited Pidcocks, they said there are BMW approved Akrapovic headers. It looks like they have cats though, So I expect they are fairly quiet.

I?ve not had any issues with warranty claims with a full system on, not had engine problems but have had rear carbon wheel replaced and other bits done under warranty.

I?ve not had any issues with warranty claims with a full system on, not had engine problems but have had rear carbon wheel replaced and other bits done under warranty.

Perhaps if there were engine problems, the warranty situation could be different.

Perhaps if there were engine problems, the warranty situation could be different.
Was told at bmw, warranty is only affected if the problem was caused by the exhaust but that?s my dealer

Chatting to my dealer regarding the problems with my bike, and he said that off the record dont mention track time because the claim will likely not be honoured. (They have been extremely helpful up to now)

A bike designed for road and track and extensively tested on track yet warranty possibly voided if it?s been on track, that seems piss poor to me.

This post intrigued me somewhat.. When you say remove metal/weight off the headers, did you mean replace with lighter headers ..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

A bike designed for road and track and extensively tested on track yet warranty possibly voided if it?s been on track, that seems piss poor to me.
Pretty much a race bike with road trim attached lol..

Gen 4 Headers

Fitting a full system from a reputable brand like Akrapovic, Arrow et al, will not cause you any issues with the warranty. As for voiding the warranty by using the bike on track? that?s just utter nonsense. BMW know mine is track only (it gets dropped off with race fairings on!), and I?ve used three separate dealerships around the country, and I?ve never had an issue with servicing, warranty or recall work.

Re: Gen 4 Headers

Fitting a full system from a reputable brand like Akrapovic, Arrow et al, will not cause you any issues with the warranty. As for voiding the warranty by using the bike on track? that?s just utter nonsense. BMW know mine is track only (it gets dropped off with race fairings on!), and I?ve used three separate dealerships around the country, and I?ve never had an issue with servicing, warranty or recall work.
That's right, there are people who buy and don't road ride whatsoever.. Ryan and Godfather immediately spring to mind.

This post intrigued me somewhat.. When you say remove metal/weight off the headers, did you mean replace with lighter headers ..

I did, plus a bit more noise and to tidy up the bulky standard headers. Black widow headers are around ?500, though I wonder why they didn't fit the 2 small balance tubes that Akra have been fitting for over 20 years.

Are they not mild steel, Chromed..? I reckon you'd regret fitting them. They don't colour up nicely and will likely corrode.

Ti is the way forward if you want to lose weight.

Part for part Ti is approximately 50% lighter than OE parts..

Are they not mild steel, Chromed..? I reckon you'd regret fitting them. They don't colour up nicely and will likely corrode.

Ti is the way forward if you want to lose weight.

Part for part Ti is approximately 50% lighter than OE parts..

Stainless AFAIK, and I'm not worried about the weight difference between stainless and titanium. I've had full Akra systems before.

When I enquired about headers on my gen3 I was told that that you wouldnt get much better than originals.... I just replaced the in-line cats with straight through pipes and a decent end can. Retained the rear flapper which kept db down for noise testing.

When I enquired about headers on my gen3 I was told that that you wouldnt get much better than originals.... I just replaced the in-line cats with straight through pipes and a decent end can. Retained the rear flapper which kept db down for noise testing.

Depends what you mean by much? Akra headers might get 4-5%, in any case the bike is plenty fast enough for the road already. I don't think I've seen a cat delete pipe that can be welded to cut Gen 4 downpipes.

Chatting to my dealer regarding the problems with my bike, and he said that off the record dont mention track time because the claim will likely not be honoured. (They have been extremely helpful up to now)
I know the dealer you?re working with. They tried the same nonsense with me when I warped a set of std discs at snetterton. It was with them for a month while we argued (politely) about fitness for purpose etc. They stuck to the line of track time = warranty void UNTIL I pointed them to their own website promoting track days and BMW training. They then replaced them FOC. I?ve not been back and now use a nearby independent who?s been very good and is fully logged into the BMW IT system. When he first looked at my bike he had to download a suite of updates that the dealer hadn?t bothered with. It?s marketed one way, so support it that way!

Latest posts

Back