Gearing (Track)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Anyone here tried 15/43 on UK tracks?

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Looking at gearing commander 15/43 looks ideal. 288kmh at 14k rpm. But that would need me to use 2-6 most places. When 16/43 generally means you don't need 6th...except when at the super fast tracks.

15/43 has smaller gears to put the axle further back too. Wonder if its too far back. And if all the extra gear changes would be tiresome.

16/46 is a similar speed with larger gears to bring the axle forward from the 15/43 position. (Still back from stock). A 16 front would be more flexible for when longer gearing desirable 43-46.

Decisions decisions

I found 16/46 caused too many wheelies at what could be classed as "slower" tracks but then as you say, 15/43 would have the axle further back for a similar final ratio to 16/46 but would that need a 118 link chain? (assuming Gen 3 here?)

I generally have 15, 16, 43 and 44 sprockets either fitted or in the toolbox for trackdays. You only need a torque wrench and a couple of sockets to make a change.

I found 16/46 caused too many wheelies at what could be classed as "slower" tracks but then as you say, 15/43 would have the axle further back for a similar final ratio to 16/46 but would that need a 118 link chain? (assuming Gen 3 here?)
Prepping for Gen 5 [emoji6]
Was running 16/44 on the Gen 3

Last edited:
Where?s the best place to get 525 sprockets for the Gen 4, most places I look it?s 520 with different sizes and the one supplier I did find I sadly can?t remember who that was.

Where?s the best place to get 525 sprockets for the Gen 4, most places I look it?s 520 with different sizes and the one supplier I did find I sadly can?t remember who that was.

alpha Racing offer a good selection of sprockets in both 520 and 525 pitch.

Gen3 has 120links standard... And I used that.

alpha Racing

ive just got mine from alpha, got hit with a import charge of 40 odd quid, put me off ordering from them again

You can order alpha Racing parts in the UK from the following distributors:

PHR Performance
Fortis Racing
Crowe Performance
Reactive Parts

Only buy direct if the order is very small otherwise you will be stung for VAT and import charges.

Re: alpha Racing

You can order alpha Racing parts in the UK from the following distributors:

PHR Performance
Fortis Racing
Crowe Performance
Reactive Parts

Only buy direct if the order is very small otherwise you will be stung for VAT and import charges.

yep, i wouldnt mind but i knew i could order elsewhere but for some reason still ordered from alpha, one of those late night orders us men make when the wives go to bed and we order the parts we totally deny ordering when the wife asks

just a note on tyre sizes i run the dunlop moto2 which is the same as the kr108 which is a 200/70 which is 8mm in height than a Bridgestone vo2,you can feel the longer gearing with the dunlop on

Just been reading through this thread here. I?ve just bought a track bike. Sure haven?t had her in track yet just been going through a few things. The hearing on her is 16 front 47 rear. Sure this is my first s1000rr but that gearing seams a wee bit wheelie happy. Is this a gearing generally used on gen 3 ?
Thanks

Just been reading through this thread here. I?ve just bought a track bike. Sure haven?t had her in track yet just been going through a few things. The hearing on her is 16 front 47 rear. Sure this is my first s1000rr but that gearing seams a wee bit wheelie happy. Is this a gearing generally used on gen 3 ?
Thanks

No........I only ride on Anglesey and Oulton which aren't really high speed places and use 16/44 or 16/45 ......it wheelies enough with that gearing. Possibly an attempt to get a shorter wheel base on a 120 link chain?

No........I only ride on Anglesey and Oulton which aren't really high speed places and use 16/44 or 16/45 ......it wheelies enough with that gearing. Possibly an attempt to get a shorter wheel base on a 120 link chain?
It does have a 120 chain on her.
Might need to change that rear sprocket and shorten the chain.
The adjuster sits in the middle of the adjustment at the moment.

It does have a 120 chain on her.
Might need to change that rear sprocket and shorten the chain.
The adjuster sits in the middle of the adjustment at the moment.

Wheelbase around 603mm? (centre swingarm pivot to centre rear axle)

Latest posts

Back