Gearbox (probably) woes

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shug

GLOBAL MODERATOR
Reaction score
Took the bike in for an annual service yesterday. New Douglas Park in East Kilbride - showroom still in construction, but workshop is running. Sitting with a coffee and the tech comes into the showroom and has a confab with the service manager and owner, just out of earshot - then looks over to me. I'm signalled over to discover that when they took the sump bolt out, three large bits of metal came out of the sump - looks to them and me like bits of a dog ring out of the gearbox!

So, with the Bank Holiday yesterday, BMW warranty team were off, so nothing could be done. Bike warranty runs out later this month, but even if it had run out, the garage were confident that BMW would give the go-ahead for an investigation and repair. Waiting until they get the nod today though. So I'm waiting to hear what comes back when they pull it apart...

Has shaken my confidence in the bike a touch. Has been out once on track in my care and only used on road otherwise. I'm not a racer, I shouldn't be stretching it beyond it's design capability... I clutch down the gears every time and even clutch between 1st and 2nd on the way up to guard against snagging neutral... I'm not a mechanical gorilla by any stretch of the imagination... Slightly concerned about what it did in the 1900 miles it was around before I bought it, but there's only 5000 miles on it now!

Plus, it's now that I start hearing stories from mates about all the BMs they know of in racing needing regular gearbox changes - buddy of mine was racing an R1 last year and all 4 BMs in his class needed at least one gearbox in the season. Seriously considering whether my next move is to extend the warranty or to get it traded against something else... I spent a lot of money on this bike to get something that should be reliable and fast - wondering if that's a mistake.

Not massively happy right now. Anyone else come across a weak gearbox reputation or had an issue themselves?

Took the bike in for an annual service yesterday. New Douglas Park in East Kilbride - showroom still in construction, but workshop is running. Sitting with a coffee and the tech comes into the showroom and has a confab with the service manager and owner, just out of earshot - then looks over to me. I'm signalled over to discover that when they took the sump bolt out, three large bits of metal came out of the sump - looks to them and me like bits of a dog ring out of the gearbox!

So, with the Bank Holiday yesterday, BMW warranty team were off, so nothing could be done. Bike warranty runs out later this month, but even if it had run out, the garage were confident that BMW would give the go-ahead for an investigation and repair. Waiting until they get the nod today though. So I'm waiting to hear what comes back when they pull it apart...

Has shaken my confidence in the bike a touch. Has been out once on track in my care and only used on road otherwise. I'm not a racer, I shouldn't be stretching it beyond it's design capability... I clutch down the gears every time and even clutch between 1st and 2nd on the way up to guard against snagging neutral... I'm not a mechanical gorilla by any stretch of the imagination... Slightly concerned about what it did in the 1900 miles it was around before I bought it, but there's only 5000 miles on it now!

Plus, it's now that I start hearing stories from mates about all the BMs they know of in racing needing regular gearbox changes - buddy of mine was racing an R1 last year and all 4 BMs in his class needed at least one gearbox in the season. Seriously considering whether my next move is to extend the warranty or to get it traded against something else... I spent a lot of money on this bike to get something that should be reliable and fast - wondering if that's a mistake.

Not massively happy right now. Anyone else come across a weak gearbox reputation or had an issue themselves?

Yep, i regularly get false neutrals when using the quickshift. The gearbox on the S1K appears to be made from toffee and it really isn't good enough for a marquee such as BMW. I will most definitely be handing my bike when the lease is up and going for something else. ZX10R or Fireblade i reckon.
Having said that, you can't complain with the service you got from the dealer.
PS. you might get a phonecall from BMW about extending your warranty for another year which i think is £329, would be a good idea to take it considering the issues these bikes have.

**Handing my bike back.

Why can't i edit my own posts to correct mistakes?!?

I've already got the renewal letter - runs out on 25th. Whether or not I renew will be directly related to how BMW handle this claim. If badly, I'll definitely be trading the bike for something else ASAP.

Agree - first impressions of the dealership are excellent.

Latest posts

Back