Full akrapovic system

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil77

Reaction score
Hi all, I have fitted a full akrapovic system to my 2016 S1kRR, I have been told that a power commander will invalidate my warrantee so don't want to go down that route, I have contacted a number of people to reflash the ECU but have been told that no one can do this to the 2016 ECU due to the new Bosch unit fitted, does anyone know if the HP code will help, I'm not bothered about more power but it's very lumpy/ hunting on tick over or low rev riding. I would be very grateful of any help of advice. Thanks all

HP Racing Data Release

If you install the HP Racing Data Release to compliment the Akrapovič system and have the ECU Race Enabled by BMW it will result in your warranty being restricted. You will also be required to sign a waiver acknowledging that your bike is no longer homologated for road use and BMW will then class it as a race bike.

Hi all, I have fitted a full akrapovic system to my 2016 S1kRR, I have been told that a power commander will invalidate my warrantee so don't want to go down that route, I have contacted a number of people to reflash the ECU but have been told that no one can do this to the 2016 ECU due to the new Bosch unit fitted, does anyone know if the HP code will help, I'm not bothered about more power but it's very lumpy/ hunting on tick over or low rev riding. I would be very grateful of any help of advice. Thanks all

The PCV will not invalidate the warranty unless you have a particularly obstructive dealership. I've had my wiring loom replaced under warranty after attaching a Bazzaz. And BTW, you want a Bazzaz or RapidBike Evo as they can both control 8 injectors instead of 4 on the PCV (unless you upgrade that to have the expensive secondary injector unit).

Go to Hilltop Motorcycles, near Mallory Park, speak to Geoff, his number is 01455 848522, he will reflash your ECU, you will not be disappointed.

Go to Hilltop Motorcycles, near Mallory Park, speak to Geoff, his number is 01455 848522, he will reflash your ECU, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks all for replying, I have spoken to Geoff, he really seems to know his onions, I have been told by lots of others including HJS that this can't but done due to the new Bosch ecu, Geoff says it's easy so I'm going to go down this route. Any further comments will be welcome and I will update you once I'm sorted.

thanks all

ECU Flash

Just bear in mind that if a third party flashes your ECU it will completely invalidate your warranty. Regardless of who does it BMW can tell if it's been done when the bike is plugged into their diagnostic system.

Yup the reason a PCV/Bazzaz/Rapid Bike are good is that they are reversible and removable for diagnostics.

Now this is my problem, the chap who I've spoken to today about reflashing says that BMW can't see it, the head macanic at my dealer also told me this, the dealer told me that a power commander would invalidate my warrantee and that if I installed the HP code that it would not and no mention of signing anything. I spoke to one of the technicians from BMW at the NEC bike show who also said that the HP code would do the job as it would tell the bike that it no longer need the front header valve which is what is causing my idle issue.
on my 2012 bike before this on I had a power commander and full system but fitted it after the warrantee period, I just wondered if anyone had any personal experience of the HP code or what they have done to their 2016 bike?

HP Racing Data Release

From experience when fitting the HP Race Power Kit (Akrapovič Full Race Exhaust System) and enabling the associated racing data release and mapping you are required to sign a disclaimer by BMW. Essentially you are acknowledging the fact that you have fitted race equipment and ECU mapping to the bike and that it is no longer considered suitable for road use. In essence it becomes a race bike. The activation of the race function of the ECU cannot be reversed and is permanently reprogrammed as a constituent part of the HP Race Power Kit. The warranty is restricted as a result of installation. Recalls are still covered but if BMW deem that any major equipment failure is due to race use it is their discretion as to whether or not a claim against the warranty can be made. For me this is not an issue as I no longer ride on the road and my 2015 S1000RR is only used on track.

HP Racing Data Release

One final point is whilst the HP racing data release offers a huge improvement in terms of fuelling, amongst other things, it certainly isn't perfect. If I wanted to improve it further I would need to purchase a RCK3 and have it professionally set up by someone who is experienced with using BMW's calibration software.

Thanks so much everyone for your input, I'm going to go back to my dealer on Saturday and get a definitive answer on their warrantee stance for all methods, I will update once I have spoken with them. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HP Racing Data Release

There should not be any disparity between BMW dealerships regarding installation of the HP software / Race ECU enabling and restricted warranty. The instructions on the RSD that the dealership will follow instruct them to print off the waiver and get the customer to sign prior to loading. Unless your local BMW dealership is involved directly with racing you will likely find that their knowledge of HP race products is limited at best.

Re: HP Racing Data Release

Ok, after several calls I have got some clarity, finally. The dealership after looking into the HP enabling code has in fact come back to confirm that it would limit the warrantee so really good info thanks, if I hadn't have asked the direct question I don't think they would have had a clue until I had paid for it. After much more discussion I have decided to go for the power commander and Dyno option as per my last bike, mainly due to the fact that I can just remove it if I need to for a claim, the dealers stance on the full akra is that they see no reason why this would cause an issue for a warrantee claim if I needed to make one.

thanks to everyone's input, a really good first experience of this site, obviously a load of knowledge on here!

Glad you've got it sorted.
Again though for best control you need a piggyback (PCV) which controls 8 injectors. Standard PCV only controls 4. That's assuming you want fine. The RR has 8 injectors, small ones for fine control at low rpm/small throttle inputs and larger ones for the meaty part of the map.

Thanks for that, I am going to use Road and race in Verwood, they handle a fair few race teams and are going to go to town on getting it right, I will make sure I politely ask the question though to make sure that's what they are doing for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back