Front wheel fitting

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwobbler

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
There are a few threads on here - but non answer my question.

Just had a new front tyre fitted - the fitter undid the pinch bolts at the bottom of both legs unfortunately. I pointed this out - but too late.:sorrow: The ABS sensor is now hard up against the ABS rotor and now rubs.

Can anyone tell me the correct procedure for aligning the fork legs correctly and what gap there should be between the ABS sensor and the rotor?? And how to get the right gap. The manual just says don't undo the left fork leg pinch bolts - it does not say what to do if you have!
Thanks.

I'm not near my bike at the min but guessing around 1mm or so, why not use some feeler gauges on the back sensor for a rough guide? I'm guessing your going to have to undo the sensor side pinch bolts again and give the spindle a tap back over, this should move the spacer back in turn moving your wheel back over to its correct position, just keep an eye on the gap getting bigger, spin the wheel as your doing it to ensure it's not going to catch on a high spot.Hopefully the sensor has not been damaged in which case your tyre fitter should replace it, I always take wheels loose to tyre fitter then I know exactly what's been done to my bike.

just to add your tyre fitter should have checked this before he let that bike leave the shop, bad practice in my opinion especially when you mention it can cause problems, are you in north east? if you stuck give me a pm and might be to pop over if not too far away!

Thanks Andy - never thought of checking the gap on the back sensor. I'll do that.

If I undo the pinch bolts on the left fork leg you can flex the bottom of the leg out by hand to get the right gap for the ABS sensor - then nip up the bolts. I just didn't know if this was the correct way to do it. Seem strange its not mentioned in the manual at all - looks like a few people have made this mistake.

Cheers.

Undo the right fork leg pinch bolts, unscrew the axle a few turns. Unscrew the left leg pinch bolts and push/tap the collar/spacer in until it is fully seated in the fork bottom, the spacer has a shoulder so you cant push it too far.

Tighten the left leg pinch bolts then fully tighten the axle.

The wheel will now be centered in the correct position. Tighten the right hand pinch bolts and job done.

Oh PS never bother to touch the left pinch bolts ever again.

Thanks Andy - never thought of checking the gap on the back sensor. I'll do that.

If I undo the pinch bolts on the left fork leg you can flex the bottom of the leg out by hand to get the right gap for the ABS sensor - then nip up the bolts. I just didn't know if this was the correct way to do it. Seem strange its not mentioned in the manual at all - looks like a few people have made this mistake.

Cheers.

Certainly do not just undo the left leg pinch bolts and pull the leg out as the wheel will be floating between the spacers/forklegs

Thanks Andy (too!) - would you do that with the wheel on the ground or elevated? I have a front paddock stand but it lifts at the bottom of the fork legs.

Thanks for your help.

I promise not to undo the left leg pinch bolts again.

Sorry,but if that was me,I would take the bike to a BMW dealer,get whatever needed doing and make the tyre fitter pay for his ignorance.
There is absolutely no reason to undo both side pinch bolts,regardless of bike make.
At least,that way,he won't make the same mistake again!

If you undo the left pinch bolt the spacer will move which is not a problem.

You simply push it back into the fork leg until it locates snugly on the rim and re-tighten (19NM) in a gradual sequence.

The ABS sensor will only become a problem if you dont push the spacer fully home as this will reduce the gap.

It makes sense as if you didnt push it all the way home and did the pinch bolts up you would be asking for trouble!

Back