For those of us who are about to die.....

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nick, I'm a bit of a newbie round these here parts myself.
When do you get the bike again? I am only asking 'cos do you have time to have it checked out by the dealer or someone who knows what they are doing so that it is fixed specifically for you?
I only ask 'cos I wonder how it's set up for the previous owner? Could be totally wrong for you.....can you get them to set it up for you suspension wise? I'm thinking... if you are a little trepiditious about it all - then this may go a bit towards making it feel more like 'yours' right from the off and may stop those bad habits before they even start.
While I kind of agree with most of the others re not worrying too much about what mode it's in - rain / sport / race - in the end you will do what you want to do - and thats the point - same as riding in a group - don't feel you need to keep up (or jump straight into slick mode so's not to feel a bit of a wuss) - take it in your own time.

When I was younger - the excuse I used to use when hiding behind my lack of ehhh - finesse - shall we say - was...... That 'It's not yours 'til you've bent it' - but now at the age that I am I can see that for what it was - something to hide behind. And with the price of these things - the last thing you want to do is bend it.

You will know when it's time to switch modes - and it'll be soon enough.

The only other bit of advice I can give is how are the tyres? I know my own is really quite sensitive to tyre wear - there's no light on the dashboard to tell you they have gone off - it creeps up on you from the fact that it starts to be difficult to get round corners and wants to go wide on corners :eek: - something definitely to be aware of. It came to me and I thought it was me who had lost the 'ability' or mojo or whatever - I was saying repeatedly ...WTF is the matter with you boy = what are you doing?......But then I noticed the tyre on the back :-[ It didn't take me too long to get it like that either ::) -

So enough of all that - Weather in Cumbria has been effin fantastic today and I don't know if it's sunburn or windburn on my cheeks ;D - but I have enjoyed every minute of it.

I was.... ahem .........testing the K & N filter I fitted this morning ;)

Cheers .......BB

Thanks that's good advice.

You've got me interested now though!

What are the principles of suspension setting and how does it relate to bad habits ........

I'm about 13 and a half stone and a new rider - what's a good setting balance to start?

N.

Its mainly down to preference / riding style / tyre pressures/ wether your on road or track.
But a good start point would be middle or 5 on the settings but setting the preload for your weight first is a must.

Hi again Nick......the BMW manual comes with the bike and gives you pointers - not a hundred percent sure about the factory settings - or whether the techs at AJs set it up based on my size or not when I got it - (but doubt it) - but when it was given to me new everything was set at '5' as babarr46 says. So - when you get yours if it is anything different from that (5) then it has been played with / adjusted by the previous owner for himself - has that been done with any actual knowledge or not? Who knows?

But the thing is - if he was heavier (will be too harsh) or lighter (too soft) - than you - then it's not right for you - and you will begin to compensate for something that you don't need to.

If damping has been played around with then it will compress or rebound too much / too little for your weight and style.

Where you guys are down south (Northants?) there are more opportunities for this kind of set up than we have up here - we have it, but they are few and far between. When I had it done it made a vast difference to the feel of the bike - there are plenty of websites and magazine articles on the basics of setting spring pre-load rate and static sag.
The other thing is (especially for the likes of myself and Hanna - hope you don't mind Hanna? ) - but when you only have lickle legs - the wrong spring pre-load adjustment at the back can mean an unnecessary wrong ride height - not a lot admittedly - but again...... when you only have lickle legs (like what I do at 5' 7") it can make a difference to the tip toe paddle - or not - and that can help your slow speed car park confidence / manouvreability a bit as well. (I know to my cost :( )

Cheers....and most of all don't get too hung up on it and let it spoil your fun........BB

Welcome to the forum buddy.

Forget the rain mode, it was a little damp when I rode mine home so I stuck it in rain mode to be on the safe side, that lasted about 1/2 mile. As most have said, it is a pussy cat to ride and will only go as mental as u want it to.

Not saying that u should not be careful, but u will not get a good feel for it if u keep it in rain mode.

Cheers, ride safe and enjoy.

Welcome aboard fella
My opinion
1 Rain mode is wank
2 the standard damper is wank.
3 Ride to your own limits and fun factor.

Enjoy the bike for what it is , safe as houses if your smart.

Had an R1 myself and your much more likely to be punished by that then the R

Thanks everybody, I'm testing the bike tomorrow pm then putting my money on the table if all goes well!

Really appreciate everybody's advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

N.

fatbob link=topic=773.msg7731#msg7731 date=1336644914 said:
1 Rain mode is wank

It was quite handy on a very wet ride to Snetterton today. Did wonder why I was being out dragged by a 750 before realising it was still in Rain mode. Pillock

reddevil007 link=topic=773.msg7769#msg7769 date=1336686024 said:
Yet in rain mode you still have more power than Foggys 916 championship winning superbike ;D
It certainly doesn't feel like it ;) Takes far too long for the power to get to the back wheel.

phil link=topic=773.msg7776#msg7776 date=1336724358 said:
reddevil007 link=topic=773.msg7769#msg7769 date=1336686024 said:
Yet in rain mode you still have more power than Foggys 916 championship winning superbike ;D
It certainly doesn't feel like it ;) Takes far too long for the power to get to the back wheel.
Yea you do need a wrist like Inspector Gadget in order to put enough twist to get the thing moving

Well, I have me a new toy.

Life tastes good and my face earlier looked like I swallowed a coat hanger.

Happy days and tomorrow, sport mode lol!

Nick link=topic=773.msg7992#msg7992 date=1337552728 said:
Sport mode.

Oh my.
Stick it in slick & turn off the DTC.......... ;)
Then you're in "Warp Speed" baby yeah :) :D ;D
[size=8pt]Disclaimer may cause uncontrollable grinning, brown trouser moments & the loss of your license & the slight possibility of death if you get too cocky[/size] :eek:

Well I said I wasn't going to be an idiot so after 12 months of having the bike and gaining some miles and roadcraft I have spent the last week in 'Race Mode' or 'Chuck Norris' as I'm calling it after reading the jokes pages.

To be fair I've tried to be disciplined and although feel I could have played with this earlier, this is still my first bike so staying alive has taken precedence over my indulgent desire to be Rossi.

I needn't have worried. Race mode is yes much quicker obviously and the acceleration on 10+K should perhaps be against the law (and probably is in a indirect sense) but the smile it leaves is overwhelming. The power distribution/delivery in race mode is so much easier to manage in terms of going round corners. Because it's instant I found I'm concentrating harder on apex and body position without the power coming on and being jumpy like it can sometimes be in sport mode.

Still a novice but getting there!

Oh and because I waited 6 weeks for my left hand switch gear BMW Customer Services paid my £142 Annual Service, gave me a £100 Credit note and arranged for 12 months warranty on the bike - I thought that was a great result!

August dates for an East Midlands ride out anybody?

Latest posts

Back