Extended Warranty Knock Back

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billo01

Reaction score
So I've had my letter of invitation to extend the BMW warranty for a few weeks now. Decided to go online and get a quote, decided which option, read the policy booklet and found on p.20 it states that the warranty will not cover a motorcycle that's been modified in any way from the approved specification.

I got on the phone to them and told them about my alterations, HP end can, HP rearsets, HP levers and BMW screen, then Lightech chain adjusters, Evotech rad guard and tail tidy and a few carbon panels. Off she went for advice, came back to tell me that they can't offer me cover because of the end can but mainly because of the chain adjusters.

Anyone else bothered with the extended warranty and come up against this issue?

No Billo, dealers are independent of the warranty people and as long as your modification didn't cause the warranty work they will do it no probs. Things like non BMW oil filters give them an easy way out if anything goes wrong with the engine but never ever had any hassle over chain adjusters, show your bike and check with your local dealer and don't just take an advisors word for it.
The HP end can is an option when buying it, if it is a BMW one?
For me the extended warranty is worth getting, even just for resale value.

JimmyMac

Hi billo. I have lightech chain adjusters on mine and it's been on extended warranty since 2015 lol. She probably didn't know what they are (not being sexist, just that most dealers seem clueless about those things).

The HP parts have BMW part numbers and are offered add addons by BMW so again they won't affect you unless you have modified the parts somehow, or mapped your engine with a third party etc.

As Jimmy says, unless something you have fitted has caused an issue then they can't refuse warranty work. IMO it's worth having the extended warranty.

As said above, if you take the BMW recommended extended warranty, the dealer will do the work as if it is still under manufacturer warranty and invoice the insurer direct.

It's really more about your relationship with the dealer.

Update - phoned my dealership to ask if they could shed some light on their insurance company claims, turns out they couldn't offer advice and it's the insurance company I need to take it up with.

Spoke to the insurers again and now they tell me it was wrong information they gave me. They don't cover the end can anyway, it's not a comprehensive policy and the chain adjusters are not covered as they don't cover the chain too and so now they will offer cover?

Same as, it was about a month before the manufacturers 2 years expired. In the letter will be your log in name and a pin that you'll need to complete the purchase on line after selecting an option. Choosing cover with ?100, ?50 or ?0 excess and with or without emergency service or you can just give them a call to arrange.

https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/Start

I got mine about a month before the warranty expired as well. I never did anything about it and I got a phone call yesterday / voice mail left to say that they can offer me a better deal than the online login quote. I might phone up today out of interest and try a bit haggling.

Mine is due this Monday, interested to hear what you get. Online it was ?386 without emergency service and zero xs, going down to ?329 with ?100 xs

Latest posts

Back