exhausts from pre 15 bikers

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helrazzer

Reaction score
when i bought my 15 plate bike,i was told by bmw and performance parts "acro exhaust importers"
that my 14 exhaust won't fit my 15 bike(((
since then i discovered this was a lie,the only dif i can see is the collets that fit into the head the pre 15 bikes are 50mm outside diameter
the 15 bikes are 47mm diameter. these collets can be easily removed with help from blowtorch
heat collets up and tap them off ,then give them to machine shop and take 3mm off.
I'm lucky as i have a lathe))
but this post is to help and inform people that don't want to spend more than necessary, don't believe all u are told by people who have
things to gain

Thanks for the confirmation.
I have struggled to find engineering shops willing to talk to me. :/

Akrapovič

The exhaust systems are clearly different for the two model years as they are not a direct fit. From Akrapovič's perspective I would suggest their comments are indeed correct regarding compatibility. The fact that the system requires physical modification to make it fit, using a blowtorch and a lathe, kind of implies this.

when i bought my 15 plate bike,i was told by bmw and performance parts "acro exhaust importers"
that my 14 exhaust won't fit my 15 bike(((
since then i discovered this was a lie,the only dif i can see is the collets that fit into the head the pre 15 bikes are 50mm outside diameter
the 15 bikes are 47mm diameter. these collets can be easily removed with help from blowtorch
heat collets up and tap them off ,then give them to machine shop and take 3mm off.
I'm lucky as i have a lathe))
but this post is to help and inform people that don't want to spend more than necessary, don't believe all u are told by people who have
things to gain

How are they lieing?

You had to blow torch off the collets and then you have to machine them down.

Thats called modifying something to MAKE IT FIT.

Akrapovič

I'm always somewhat bemused by comments like they "lied to me". In this case they clearly haven't as the system isn't designed to fit. So from a technical, design and marketing perspective BMW, Akrapovič et al, are correct and have in no way provided any misinformation. The fact that it has been 'made' to fit, through physical modification, absolutely implies that the systems are not compatible. That and the fact that Akrapovič, and every other manufacturers exhausts, are designed to be bolted straight on. I'm in no way belittling your efforts, but I generally perceive comments like this a tad unhelpful as no one has been lied too in this case.

The only mod needed was replace collets
The link pipe fits on new one
so when I get told my exsisting link pipe and end can wont fit is a "lie"
or have I missed something
i spent ?2200 on a new exhaust that I didn't need is to say a little disappointing

Your ire at Akrapovic is shared, that they won't detail the actual changes, especially when they turn out to be relatively minor.
I have two full systems in the house now and I should probably look at making 1 good one out of them.

However, they are in business to sell exhausts. And with each model out they are entitled to say that if a bracket doesn't fit the new model, it's not specific, let alone an exhaust port.

The only mod needed was replace collets
The link pipe fits on new one
so when I get told my exsisting link pipe and end can wont fit is a "lie"
or have I missed something
i spent ?2200 on a new exhaust that I didn't need is to say a little disappointing

They didnt lie to you.

You just cant seem to accept that.

Now as per your original opening post here..............

An exhaust system is what they call...."plug and play".

YOU had to cut and modify an exhaust system to make it fit.

Thats called MODIFYING

Back