Finally got round to joining a forum so best introduce myself.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brimoto

Reaction score
Hi all

living in the Wirral,Cheshire I come from a dedicated Kawasaki background from my 2nd bike a GPZ750 turbo to more recently a ZX9R C2 which I covered over 150,000 miles (2 engines) unfortunately a blind van driver wrote the bike and my left arm off. Thankfully the Doctors partially repaired my arm but the bike was dead. In 2011 I bought my s1000rr, I was very disappoint with the chain rattle on start up and took a lot of convincing it was ok. I was also disappointed at the top speed being the same as a 1998 ZX9 but other than that it is a great bike.
For mods I have had the Gilles rear sets, levers and Akapovic exhaust from new, I fitted the Helibars for comfort but looking at swapping back to OE or going for Harris or Renthal clip-ons.
It has since been de-cated with a DIY mod to fool the servo/ECU, powercomander, swing arm pivot adjusted & a few other bits n' bobs. Just waiting on a delivery of carbon bits from Concept Carbon who I can wholeheartedly recommend, Next on the wish list is a pair of PFM discs then a visit to Maxton. Please don't mistake me for an 'all the gear no idea rich kid' it has took 6 years to get to this point, if I was rich I would be buying the HP4 Carbon race bike - if only.
The single item I can recommend for the S1000rr is a pair of Michelin Pilot road 3 tyres for those that enjoy wet weather riding, they are exstreamly good in very wet weather even at speed and good for a blast over the IOM mountain, even good for an off road excursion at Windy corner.

My other bikes are a GS550 chop, a GPX750 street fighter and a Daytona 675 (hence why I want to change the bars on my S1000 as it feels like a fat tourer after riding the 675)

I am a mechanic, auto electrician & fabricator by trade, we also offer a DIY self service garage for those who wish to work on your own car, we offer a 2 post ramp, compressor and basic tool kit from ?30 / half day - Feel free to delete this advert from my post if not acceptable, I only mention it to offer the service.

Happy to help anyone out but please bare with me as I am not fixated on my tablet/phone, always looking for people to ride with but not into big groups unless it's across Europe.

Thanks Jay, I sell very few bikes hence why I have a few, some become part of the family.

Just like to add that I have referenced this forum over the years and found it very informative hence my intro of finally getting round to joining, a BIG thank you to all who have contributed to this forum, hopefully I can give something back.

Welcome to the forum and the Bavarian side Brimoto!

Firstly, I'm very glad to hear that you have recovered from your accident on the ZX9R, I hope your arm is ok now and don't have too much trouble with it?
Is a real shame your bike was destroyed in the accident as > 150K miles is some achievement!

Re clipons, I too tried Helibars, but was not happy with the position so have gone back to the OEM clipons.
If you wish to try a race clip on (Renthol, Harris or Alpha Racing) bare in mind there may very well be clearance issues with the OEM fairings, particularly if you don't use steering lock stops.

Re the Michelin PR3's, they are indeed a magnificent road tyre, if only the PR4's were as good ...
I would highly recommend the Metzeller Roadtech 01 as a replacement as these are also a superb wet weather road tyre which also provides sporty handling and ample dry weather grip for even the most spirited road riding.

Re Triumph Daytona 675, I came from a 675 too and they are indeed a fantastic bike, the chassis was incredible. However, I think once you get a base suspension setup on your SThou you'll be throughly impressed with the handling, is amazing how composed it is at any speed!

Enjoy the forum and may you have many happy (and safe) miles ahead of you on two wheels!

Hopefully see you on a group ride in the future!

Oli

Last edited:
Hi Brimoto, the best and most informative introduction for some time on here, cheers.

As Oli says, glad your on the mend with your arm and hope you enjoy you bikes, you certainly have the right background to be spannering your bikes and there won't be much I can teach you.

Welcome to the site.

JimmyMac

Thank you all, there is always something new to learn and product reviews or suggestion to help in making decisions.

Hi Brimoto, and welcome. I had the Michelin Pilots on my GSXR before this bike and I loved them , they gave me so much confidence on the bike. I done quite a few track days on them as well as road riding and not once did they let me down. I've heard a few mention about re mapping. I've got the 2011 RR and removed the de-cat and boy oh boy, what a difference, it's brought the bike alive. I absolutely love it BUT I'm I trad worried in case it could be running rich or lean without me knowing. I'm in the SE London/ Kent area. Has anyone got any advice on how to get it checked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fully agree with Jay, as incorrect fuelling will lead to other problems, yes it costs money but is essential. I bought the Dynojet Powercomander and AutoTune for mine. There will be a tuner close to you but like all business there are good and bad ones.

That's brilliant advice, thanks. I will look into it. I didn't fancy just paying out around ?500 for a PC if I didn't need to but I will need something.

Hi Brimoto, and welcome. I had the Michelin Pilots on my GSXR before this bike and I loved them , they gave me so much confidence on the bike. I done quite a few track days on them as well as road riding and not once did they let me down. I've heard a few mention about re mapping. I've got the 2011 RR and removed the de-cat and boy oh boy, what a difference, it's brought the bike alive. I absolutely love it BUT I'm I trad worried in case it could be running rich or lean without me knowing. I'm in the SE London/ Kent area. Has anyone got any advice on how to get it checked out.

If you're looking for a dyno and tune, try HM racing in Edenbridge. I've used them before and they were good, though not with the s1. I think they have quite a bit of s1 experience though.

My S1000RR '17 is booked in for RapidBike Race fitting / tuning on the 5th of September @ HM Racing.

- Sent from Mobile

Cheers Stuart
Should have joined earlier as that Rapidbike package sounds interesting I will have a read of that thread.

Thanks Zxcv12. I did actually go down to see H+M on one Saturday but they were shut. I've heard a few good things about them . I'll have to try and get down there during the week.

Thanks Zxcv12. I did actually go down to see H+M on one Saturday but they were shut. I've heard a few good things about them . I'll have to try and get down there during the week.

They are always doing race support at weekends. Just came back from the Ulster Road Racing.

Oh really. They sound like the perfect place to go.

Latest posts

Back