Exhaust gaskets reuseable?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul1098

Reaction score
Hopefully getting my bike & Akra this week so need o be fitting exhaust. Got bracket off ebay as recommended so hopefully that's turning up to.

Can I get away with re using the original gaskets (are they copper?) or will i need to buy some more?
Bikes done approx. 1800 miles so hoping gaskets won't be too bad.

The stock gaskets are a crush type so they shouldn't be reused, I fitted new gaskets when fitting my Akro system, as even the slot in locators still need to be sealed properly.

I re used mine for my austin system,the torque setting on the torx are very low,no leaks on mine ;)

My Arrow System came with just the header collars for the block with no gaskets at all. All the joins are slip on joints with spring retainers. I'm guessing they were all going to be the same. Do the Akro systems come with gaskets then ?

The stock gaskets are a crush type so they shouldn't be reused, I fitted new gaskets when fitting my Akro system, as even the slot in locators still need to be sealed properly.

So not just simple copper gaskets that can be annealed & reused?

I've never had to use any sealants or jointing paste on an akra full system as they are made to such good tolerances they fit perfect and never leak! :)

My Arrow System came with just the header collars for the block with no gaskets at all. All the joins are slip on joints with spring retainers. I'm guessing they were all going to be the same. Do the Akro systems come with gaskets then ?

No they don't, I brought new gaskets from BMW :)

So not just simple copper gaskets that can be annealed & reused?

No, they're a wafer thing metal washer with a raised centre, I guess you could reuse them if you wanted to, but I preferred to just buy new ones. :)

No they don't, I brought new gaskets from BMW :)

No, they're a wafer thing metal washer with a raised centre, I guess you could reuse them if you wanted to, but I preferred to just buy new ones. :)

Reused mine twice no leaky

lol :)

Do you mean the Ohlins ones? If so I fitted them on mine as my frame checked out ok. :D

Mate of mine fitted his AR cut system last w/e and I've just fitted a full stainless Akro to mine.
Neither us used new exhaust gaskets and neither of us have had any problems.
I was was in touch with Andy Wilks at Performance Parts and he talked me through the fitting of a full system and am sure he would have mentioned if new ones were needed.
Both these systems are fantastically engineered and if you follow the instructions and take your time you will have no problems.
I would recommend purchasing a multi point 10mm socket(3/8 drive) for header nuts and a quality set of torx bits.
Finished job looks the bollocks and far easier to keep clean.
Best of luck bud.

More a case of piece of mind for me :) when fitting any exhaust, for the price of some gaskets it's a no brainer....do it right or not at all as some people say! ;)

Bringing up an old thread. Where did you get the new gasket from? Is there anywhere other than BMW themselves? If so a link to the right one would be handy :D

BMW S1000rr sport 10plate

Latest posts

Back