Emergency starter button

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen

Forum Vendor
Reaction score
Just a quick one.

I?ve recently wondered about making an emergency starter switch for bikes that suffer from switchgear faults (see: All BMWs)

It would be nothing glamorous, a very simple button that plugs in to the switch gear loom and has 1 button to start the bike.

The basic idea is that you would keep it under your seat along with a T8 screwdriver so if the worst happens and your bike all of a sudden won?t start (if the kill switch fails you can?t even bump it off) you would be able to unplug the switchgear and plug in this button to get you up and running until you can repair or replace the original switch.

At the moment I think they?ll be ?20 (to forum members, ?25 on eBay if they prove popular) which is much cheaper than having the bike recovered... especially if you were abroad...

Before I go ordering components, what do you think?

I'd 100% get one from you Stephen.
Be good if you found a way to attach it simply to the bar with say a re-usable cable tie to save the while thing flapping around on the bike?

I'd 100% get one from you Stephen.
Be good if you found a way to attach it simply to the bar with say a re-usable cable tie to save the while thing flapping around on the bike?

Yea I?ll figure out a place to mount it once I?ve made a prototype

Sounds good but would want to know more about connecting it etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I?ll make some instructions to go with it. It will be very simple, 5 mins tops, just one screw to remove and unplug one socket :)

Would this starter button work without a key?

I?m up for it too! I?m guessing this only solves the switchgear problem and not the ignition problem that many have had, but even so count me in if you go ahead!

Yea it?s just a temporary switchgear repair.

I can recondition the ignition switches up to 2014 models but I haven?t had chance to try with a newer model

There was a fix a few years back on K1600GT forum, where guys were drilling small holes in there starter relay and using paper clips to start there bikes, should the switch gear fail. Someone else came up with a more elegant solution.

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw...cal/32953-how-start-your-bike-paper-clip.html

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-lighting-electrical/31729-starter-relay-location-2.html , about 8 posts down

Dave

Unfortunately if the kill switch failed the starter would turn but the bike still wouldn?t start.

Not a bad idea though :)

Latest posts

Back