Doing a deal ?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget the:

The Ducati Monster S is only 145hp but has more torque and is almost 30kg lighter, so think of the power to weight ratio.

The KTM Superduke is on 180bhp and more torque, traction control and ABS, Brembo monoblocs.

The KTM is gonna be 14k though so a fair chunk more, had a tuono and the speed triple was what I was looking at originaly but know I would regret it if someone in my group of mates rocks up on a beemer.

Ross I certainly would be taking all of these 'claimed' BHP figures from manufacturers like KTM/ducati and Aprilia with a pinch of salt. RSV4 is supposed to have 184bhp Ducati 1199 195bhp & KTM RC8R 173bhp. If you can find a road test dyno chart showing those numbers i'd like to see it.

But you won't find a Road test dyno showing those figures because there crank figures.

When the R is put on a dyno it won't show 160 either.

All the above are more than can be used on our roads though so not realy that relevant, to me it ain't what it does but the way it does it, usable power/torque is more relevant than a screaming top end, add a great suspension settup and top notch breaking system and I end up with the S1000R sport, the tuono v4 is a fantastic road bike but drinks fuel at an alarming rate which gives it poor range between fill ups.

All the above are more than can be used on our roads though so not realy that relevant, to me it ain't what it does but the way it does it, usable power/torque is more relevant than a screaming top end, add a great suspension settup and top notch breaking system and I end up with the S1000R sport, the tuono v4 is a fantastic road bike but drinks fuel at an alarming rate which gives it poor range between fill ups.

I can't argue with that. The R will be a great bike, my sole point really was BMW haven't knocked the "naked class" out the ball park with the R.

As for fuel, You might not find the R any better than the V4. On my RR depending on how i'm riding and ride mode I've gotten as low as 60 miles on a tank until res light comes on. Average is 100, most I've ever gotten is 137 which was 6th gear 70mph low rev motorway riding.

love the naked version :excitement: but £900 for a slip on can, cant you buy one after you've got it and the difference should pay the £300 for the heated grips :) what colour you after ?

Looking on a dealer web site I think the guy I spoke to didnt realy know much as the can for the S1RR should theoretically be the same and thats £700. Was hoping colour wise the wound do a triple black but think BMW will save that as a ltd edition when they want a sales boost, guess it will probably be a white one.

I tested an S1000RR in 2011 and supposedly there were no discounts, I bought a new one at the end of September this year and after a lot of haggling it was less than I could buy a new ABS Fireblade or ZX10 for :).

I tested an S1000RR in 2011 and supposedly there were no discounts, I bought a new one at the end of September this year and after a lot of haggling it was less than I could buy a new ABS Fireblade or ZX10 for :).

Didn't haggle enough in 2011 then. As I said above I got £1800 of accessories and first service (parts & labour) in with mine.

My mates seem to think it was because I paid cash, but you should actually be able to haggle more if paying by finance, because the finance is done thru BMW finance group. The interest is nearly all profit which should give the dealer a little extra room to play with.

Ive not long bought an 13 plate s1000rr in the Motorsport colours with 1600 mile on the clock with all the extras alarm, heated grips, DTC etc and shifter for less than a new blade, i bought it from a bmw dealer in Sunderland Coopers they was really helpfull and great service.

you should actually be able to haggle more if paying by finance, because the finance is done thru BMW finance group. The interest is nearly all profit which should give the dealer a little extra room to play with.

That's spot on.^

Paying cash is not a good position to negotiate from, the dealer wants you to take finance because a) they get a kick back, and b) it is usually on a 2 or 3 year PCP deal so when the deal ends there is a good chance you will go back and have another bike off them.

Also, if you buy the add-ons from the dealer in with the bike, all of it is covered by BMW 2 year warranty. If you add stuff after you have ridden off the forecourt, that is not the case.

I hate finance and don't use it, but if you are after a discount it is the way to go.

Didn't haggle enough in 2011 then. As I said above I got £1800 of accessories and first service (parts & labour) in with mine.

My mates seem to think it was because I paid cash, but you should actually be able to haggle more if paying by finance, because the finance is done thru BMW finance group. The interest is nearly all profit which should give the dealer a little extra room to play with.

Probably but I haggled like f+ck this time and got nearly £3k off. I was in a position to pay cash but BMW were putting in a £750 contribution if I took finance and at under 4% leaving the money in the bank makes it under 2% interest.

Ive not long bought an 13 plate s1000rr in the Motorsport colours with 1600 mile on the clock with all the extras alarm, heated grips, DTC etc and shifter for less than a new blade, i bought it from a bmw dealer in Sunderland Coopers they was really helpfull and great service.

Coopers did me the deal I needed between Xmas and New Year last year with a decent p/ex on my old bike , got a 2012 Motorsport model with 900 miles on with heated grips at £10950 , which was cheap then and also when we were £700 away on the p/ex the Sales Manager agreed it once I got a follow up call after rejecting their first offer..............I gave them an hour to reconsider or buy elsewhere and they came through.......don't know about their aftersales service because not needed any, 5000 miles later and counting. They seem to be big on doing the numbers and bashing away at Dealer volume discounts so well worth the snowy,icy tow up their to swap bikes in early Jan.........

As you guys are BMW owners, whats the build quality like in general, and what are they like servicing cost wise, minds almost made up it's going to be the S1000R sport model for me, realy cant see anything else that I like the look of, saw the new Z1000 today and the dealer tried to sway me that way but not realy what I want.

In my opinion Dealer is shockingly over priced for parts and labour, but main dealers always will be. Build quality overall no worse or better than any other. It's such a nice bike that glossing over the faults is easy.

I forgot to mention i only paid £11,195 for it delivered.

Each dealer is different and has different margins I suppose however I got my granite grey metallic, same spec, age and mileage for just over £10K. On a PCP deal so Ross' view that getting finance you get a better deal looks to be correct. Dealer is Vines in Guildford.

Regarding the BMW alarm, I wouldn't bother.

Mine came free with the bike, and I have to say, I wouldn't have paid for it in seeing how it works. Firstly, (and please correct me if I'm wrong here), if it's the same plug-in upgrade to the immobiliser that comes on the S1000RR, then it isn't Thatcham approved. Insurers seem to recognise the immobiliser as the key discountable piece of security anyway. Secondly, it robs you of the tiny bit of space you have under the rear seat. Thirdly, it switches itself off after a number of days (7 if memory serves) to conserve battery which IMHO renders it completely pointless. And finally, it's fiddly to use. The Datatool alarm I had on my old Triumph was a far superior product.

However, the heated grips on my S1KRR have been a godsend recently, and I have to say, worth every penny.

The BMW alarm is not Thatcham approved so won't get a discount on your insurance for having it. You'll be better getting something like a Datatool or Meta alarm fitted which is Thatcham approved and it'll cost about the same

Latest posts

Back