Differences between 2010-2014

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toffeeboy

Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying to find post which explains the differences between the models in each year 2010,11,12,13 and 14 to understand what changed and why both in terms of spec and also ride style as I'm not sure whether a low miles 2010/11 is a better bet than a 12 with a few more miles on the clock. Can anyone point me towards something which would help me?

Thanks

I think 2012 was the only significant mechanical update. And it was significant, I've not ridden a pre'12 model but am led to believe they were more of a handful than the post '12 models.
I'd personally go for post 12 over 11 everytime. Unless I was intending to make wholesale changes to the bike anyway.

in summary;

chassis changes;

the headstock angle / rake is different
the amount of fork through the triple trees is different
the rear swinging arm mounting point is different
re worked forks internals more progressive

all this mean the overall bike length has changed 2012 are slightly longer than 2009 -11 bikes making it more stable and turn in is faster

engine and drive line changes;
all the engine maps are different and smoother
rain mode up from 150bhp to 160bhp
air inlet modified so the bike breath better contributing to more midrange power
45 tooth rear sprocket instead of 44 tooth

I've rode 10 through to 13 and honestly for the day to day average ride, never felt fuck all difference in any of them.

2012 got the heavier crank didn't it?

everyone does seem to say that but I've never found any evidence from BMW that its true. Even the official BMW changes on German website between 11 and 12 model doesn't list it.

2011's got the heavier crank as well I believe

yes, I believe that the 2011 got the heavier crank. The only visible differences between the 2010 & 2011 (that I know) are the plastic stick-on swing arm protectors and the hole in the brake lever (to let high speed air thru - not that u go that fast & they should be replaced by something better anyway)

Sitting on the 2 bikes (pre & post 2012) you will notice a small but noticeable change in riding position too, with the post-2012 bike having wider bars and a narrower, less comfortable seat - this will be a personable/individual preference. The low/mid rev range drive is better on the 2012+ bike, but many find there is enough power or they have changed exhausts and fuel maps anyway. The TC was updated in 2012 too I believe, to make it smoother, but many still don't like/rate it too highly. Other than that, the visible differences on the 2012+ bikes are heel plate design, small winglets on the side fairings, rev counter graphics and tail design (narrower & got vents in the 2012+).
i was in a similar position to you 2 years ago - I bought a 2011 Thunder Grey, as I changed things anyway (exhaust, ecu, TC, levers, seat, etc) to something better than a standard 2012+ bike anyway & I love the colour.
a long winded way of saying "not too much difference, all of them r brilliant and you can't go wrong if you get it for the right price in the right condition". Best of luck with the purchase & u will love whatever u get 😊

Last edited:
I've rode 10 through to 13 and honestly for the day to day average ride, never felt fuck all difference in any of them.

Great review ;-)

Actually probably helps a lot, as it's the most important thing, I was hoping to find out weaknesses or things that had been put right from year to year. If this is the case probably a very low mileage 2010 would suit me better than a 7000 mile 2012, please keep useful info coming

Thanks

I rode a 10 bike when they came out and the traction control kept cutting in too soon, not such an issue on my 13 bike.

Back