Delighted to join the forum

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmallmanA

Reaction score
I'm Adam Smallman, former News Editor of MCN from 2000 years ago. Delighted to join this forum and swop knowledge.

Recently swopped my BMW S1000 XR (Park Lane demonstrator) for a privately owned 2013 S1000 RR as the former was very good but too heavy (back-end wallowing on Sport setting).

I'm glad I did.

The new (ish - 2,500 miles) bike is astonishing (just back from the Oliver's Mount races in Scarborough, all via back roads - can't recommend more highly the B1176 south of Old Somerby, Lincolnshire). Loving it. I've yet to buy a new motorcycle but both these BMWs are as close as I've got.

I sold a much-loved Honda SP-2 (regret it, of course) and Kawasaki ZX-6 track bike to buy the XR. I live by the rule of DAISNAID - do as I say, not as I do - which is lived out by failing to learn that using a chisel to turn the rear preload is certain to end, like political careers, in failure. Evidence of this will shortly be found on the tips and spannering areas of this forum.

I remain the surprisingly proud owner of a mongrel-looking GSX-R1000 K1 track bike - is it true the S1000 RR was originally benchmarked against the big GSX-R? - which, aside from a gearbox lifted from the wreck of an ocean liner, proved itself rather marvellous in Brno recently. The original owner was a spannerman at Bahnstormer in Alton who wisely fitted an S1000 RR shock. It works.

Keen to contribute on these topics and more if there's interest - how PCP has absolutely screwed the premium used bike market; why Arai's new RX7 is a step forward and a step back; the merits of London owners jointly buying a GS-991 diagnostic tool to remove fault codes and my curious experience of grudging, if not downright rude, after-sales service from unnamed BMW dealers.

Oof - that was a long intro.

Welcome Adam, that was a long intro! Haven't ridden an XR, seems compromised to me so I have an RR and a GSA, a bit OTT but I have most bases covered! I love heading up to Oliver's Mount myself, great relaxed atmosphere and incredible talent on track. As for the B1176 what can I say, an epic (if slightly dangerous) bit of road very close to where I live that I've enjoyed riding for years, do you know the equally brilliant B6047 between Melton & Harborough? If you tie it in it makes for a fantastic loop around South Lincs and Leicestershire :smile-new:

Hi Adam, welcome to the forum, interesting to have a journo on here :) Are you still working in media?
I believe the GSX-R 1000 K5 was the starting point for BMW.

Keen to contribute on these topics and more if there's interest - how PCP has absolutely screwed the premium used bike market; why Arai's new RX7 is a step forward and a step back; the merits of London owners jointly buying a GS-991 diagnostic tool to remove fault codes and my curious experience of grudging, if not downright rude, after-sales service from unnamed BMW dealers.

There are some independent garages with BMW equipment in London. For instance; http://www.japandgerman.co.uk/ they are a bit rough and ready but if all you want is a code read they could be a good bet.

We're happy to hear about good and bad experiences with dealers. Park Lane seem to get the most negatives in the London area...

Hi Adam, welcome to the forum and thankyou for your support :).

Great intro. I can't say I like the XR at all, good to hear you've found the rr to your liking...

welcome aboard mate, great introduction, mcn really? ... lol am sure it was alot better 2000 years ago :smile-new:

Welcome Adam, that was a long intro! Haven't ridden an XR, seems compromised to me so I have an RR and a GSA, a bit OTT but I have most bases covered! I love heading up to Oliver's Mount myself, great relaxed atmosphere and incredible talent on track. As for the B1176 what can I say, an epic (if slightly dangerous) bit of road very close to where I live that I've enjoyed riding for years, do you know the equally brilliant B6047 between Melton & Harborough? If you tie it in it makes for a fantastic loop around South Lincs and Leicestershire :smile-new:

Oo, that's a good road tip Mac. I rode up to Oliver's Mount with, amongst others, John Westlake from Bike whose long-termer is the new ZX10R. He's a deceptively quick and controlled rider but the new S1000 gave him a good run for his money and left me fully blown away. I think he and others came back via Horncastle and that sounded an awesome route back too.

interesting to have a journo on here :) Are you still working in media?

Alex, thanks for the tip. Media is in a woeful state because far more interesting conversations go on here and elsewhere (I make an exception of Sideburn magazine which is a labour of love about a subject in which I have little interest (dirt track racing) and it's wonderful). So no, I no longer work in it. Adam

Latest posts

Back