Decisions decisions

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Do I spend money on making my (near stock, <7k miles, Black) 2012 awesome and perfect (Akro Evo Exhaust, carbon belly, HID kit, rear sets, wheels, other carbon accents etc etc) or do I chop it in for a 2015.

Which would you recommend I do? I only got the 2012 in April '14.

3rd option do nothing and just ride the damn thing and see where I'm at come the Winter. <- how very sensible.

Whats the cash difference between your bike and the new one, bearing in mind you will need to have most options ticked on the new bike for it to retain reasonable value in future?

Not sure. 2012 Black 6,xxx miles, dealer trade in of 9k? And yeah I'd want, Sport with Performance Package + a tracker as it's in London...
Cheapest = do nothing
Cheap = add a few ?k's of bits to the 2012
most ??? = get a 2015 now...but maybe it's worth it longer term...

That's not a bad idea...not massively keen on the colours but I guess I could get over it.

I've got a 2012 model in saphire black (purchased March 2013) and have a similar dilema. I've done 5,500 miles roughly and am a a bit of a fair weather biker which means the bike still looks almost like new. It also feels like the motor is just starting to fully loosen up so the bike feels fantastic to ride. So would I really want to exchange that (at considerable expense) for the new model and have to go back to that new bike feeling / having to be run in etc? Not really if I'm honest. So it ultimately comes down to how you feel personally when you're out on your bike and a 2015 model bike rolls by. If that doesn't faze you, probably better to save a few quid and stick with waht you've got, an awesome bike, just not quite the latest version.

Imo the significant difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen bikes is the DDC option. Pretty much every other tech and power catch up has already been provided by 3rd parties on the 2nd gen bike. From my hp4 experience the ddc is very good, but I wouldn't say it is night and day compared to standard, well set up, suspension. 3rd party internals set up right would be a big improvement too. DDC is better overall, but I wouldn't say its worth a 5k hit to upgrade at the moment. Others may disagree?

I think the 2nd gen is a better looking bike, but that's down to personal taste.

Also worth bearing in mind the early adopter problems that usually come with a new model. I would say with some certainty that a refreshed 3rd gen bike will appear in a couple of years to get sales back up again, and deal with any issues that come to light from customer feedback. Might be worth waiting?

Very much agree with Alien, it's how it makes you feel.

btw, are you doing any of Baz's bmw trackdays this year again (I think you did Snet last year)?

Imo the significant difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen bikes is the DDC option. Pretty much every other tech and power catch up has already been provided by 3rd parties on the 2nd gen bike. From my hp4 experience the ddc is very good, but I wouldn't say it is night and day compared to standard, well set up, suspension. 3rd party internals set up right would be a big improvement too. DDC is better overall, but I wouldn't say its worth a 5k hit to upgrade at the moment. Others may disagree?

I think the 2nd gen is a better looking bike, but that's down to personal taste.

Also worth bearing in mind the early adopter problems that usually come with a new model. I would say with some certainty that a refreshed 3rd gen bike will appear in a couple of years to get sales back up again, and deal with any issues that come to light from customer feedback. Might be worth waiting?

Very much agree with Alien, it's how it makes you feel.

btw, are you doing any of Baz's bmw trackdays this year again (I think you did Snet last year)?

I agree the 2nd gen bike looks better, I test road the new one over the weekend and the suspension sure is good but, and this is a big but for me it's not worth the 10k I would need to find to ride the new one. my 2012 motor sport edition with 5k miles on the clock looks like new, and I got my suspension setup and re sprung by FTR Suspension feels just as good. Every dealer I have called will not offer me more than 8k for my bike against a new one I just can't warrant the cost as it's only a big boys toy.

So I have treated my bike to full length Ilmberger carbon belly pan for Valentine's day instead.:wink-new:

I agree the 2nd gen bike looks better, I test road the new one over the weekend and the suspension sure is good but, and this is a big but for me it's not worth the 10k I would need to find to ride the new one. my 2012 motor sport edition with 5k miles on the clock looks like new, and I got my suspension setup and re sprung by FTR Suspension feels just as good. Every dealer I have called will not offer me more than 8k for my bike against a new one I just can't warrant the cost as it's only a big boys toy.

So I have treated my bike to full length Ilmberger carbon belly pan for Valentine's day instead.:wink-new:
why don't you sell your bike on ebay chorsley I recon you should get about ?10k for it

@soof... want to go on some have been sorting out the life change (living in London) but now it's time to setup some trackdays and that was good fun last year. I was there at the Snetterton day with my mate on his black Triumph 675 StreetT. I want to do Brands and Cadwell this year as well as Snetterton (which will be my season warmup track of choice). Will see and let you know.

Hmm...I like my bike, a lot, but it was a hesitation before spending on it... I want the bits I mentioned...but I just want to ride too. Also I'm considering insurance costs too.

I think I'll stick. Make the bike MINE. And just get more miles on it. Maybe arrange a valet :)

@soof... want to go on some have been sorting out the life change (living in London) but now it's time to setup some trackdays and that was good fun last year. I was there at the Snetterton day with my mate on his black Triumph 675 StreetT. I want to do Brands and Cadwell this year as well as Snetterton (which will be my season warmup track of choice). Will see and let you know.

Cool. Didn't meet you last year so need to put that right :). Also if you do want to do the Cadwell date (in July I think) I've already booked accommodation for me and one other sthou friend, welcome to join us (PM me if you want the details). Bins did send a note around last week or so saying both Cad and Snet were almost full, sure he'll chime in if he sees this.....

Last edited:
why don't you sell your bike on ebay chorsley I recon you should get about ?10k for it

Yes I probably could but I don't think the new bike is that much better than mine, I have a modification list bigger than the bible, she's making over 200bhp and my suspension setup makes my bike handle like it's on rails, I can't out ride what I have got so decided to keep it.

Yes the DDC is a bit smoother but it's not worth an extra 5k if I do sell my bike privately

Soof, sent him a mail to confirm current status but 9th of May look clear for me. Are you staying the night before?

Lol erm that's the Bike day, whoops... I now have the other 2 dates in front of me...July 13th at Cadwell and Snetterton 17th August. I'll work that out and get back to you.

I'm probably doing the Bike Mag road bike only day on May 9th, it's a Saturday, if you phone 01474 875226 and ask to be part of the BMW club group you'll get 10% off, (as long as we get at least 5 in the group) R B.

Back