Datatool

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noxx

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently moved places and now live in a situation where I don't have a power outlet close to my motorcycle. Therefore, the battery comes out over the winter and gets connected to the tender inside. I contacted Datatool (factory installed GPS tracker on my S1000RR) and asked them about the proper procedure when doing so because I had read somewhere that prolonged periods of time without vehicle battery mess with the internal battery.

To my absolute disbelief, Datatool told me that I cannot disconnect the vehicle battery as it will drain the internal battery of the GPS tracker and once drained, it's broken. They went on to tell me that once the internal battery is drained, the entire unit will become inoperative and will have to be replaced with a new one. Even if I reconnect the vehicle battery in Spring, the Datatool tracker battery will not charge and the tracker will not resume operation. I would have to purchase a new tracker every season.

I have cancelled my subscription and will have my dealer rip out the Datatool tracker and replace it with a unit of a competitor in Spring.

Just something to be aware of before choosing the BMW factory installed tracker

FWIW, I was in a similar situation. I wired in a large leisure battery as a slave and used that to keep the whole system alive for long periods of time. I would then periodically take the larger battery home, charge it up and then return it to the bike within 48hrs.

It might not be as bad as they are making out. The tracker is basically like a mini mobile phone with GPS. It will certainly stop working if battery flat or disconected for a long time. However, it probably will charge when battery reconected. I have a Biketrack tracker on mine. My bike got stuck in Spain during lockdown in 2020 and tracker did stop working when bike battery drained, but when I eventually got bike back and charged the battery the tracker started working again.

It might not be as bad as they are making out. The tracker is basically like a mini mobile phone with GPS. It will certainly stop working if battery flat or disconected for a long time. However, it probably will charge when battery reconected. I have a Biketrack tracker on mine. My bike got stuck in Spain during lockdown in 2020 and tracker did stop working when bike battery drained, but when I eventually got bike back and charged the battery the tracker started working again.

BikeTrac is the company I am going with now. They confirmed that their devices do not behave like Datatool devices and that the BikeTrac internal battery charges again upon reconnecting the vehicle battery.

Quick, before you do anything else, have a look at this from monimoto.com. It?s a GPS tracker that works off 2x AA batteries and lasts for 2 years on them and doesn?t take a charge from your bike battery. Also having owned an in-line powered security device, they?re a complete pain when you are servicing the bike or disconnecting the battery (Datatool on a 955i).

I saw it on Lamb Chop Rides on YouTube yesterday here. It looked like a very good idea and good value too at ?129 plus ?32 per annum subscription. You can swap it between different bikes if you?re lucky enough to own more than one.

Last edited:
Quick, before you do anything else, have a look at this from monimoto.com. It?s a GPS tracker that works off 2x AA batteries and lasts for 2 years on them and doesn?t take a charge from your bike battery. Also having owned an in-line powered security device, they?re a complete pain when you are servicing the bike or disconnecting the battery (Datatool on a 955i).

I saw it on Lamb Chop Rides on YouTube yesterday here. It looked like a very good idea and good value too at ?129 plus ?32 per annum subscription. You can swap it between different bikes if you?re lucky enough to own more than one.

Looks interesting, but not fit for purpose from insurance perspective :/

Had problems with Datatool on mine when bike was on the way/back from spain. not updating, bike went flat in 10days, having convos at the moment with them ....

I have the Datatool but also added an Apple AirTag. (Works with other phones) It?s so accurate that I can ring the dealer up when it?s out of the workshop and sitting outside the shop. The service guy is always confused when I ring and say it?s outside the shop and I?m on my way. I have one on all my bikes/car/keys etc. Brilliant invention. J

I have the Datatool but also added an Apple AirTag. (Works with other phones) It?s so accurate that I can ring the dealer up when it?s out of the workshop and sitting outside the shop. The service guy is always confused when I ring and say it?s outside the shop and I?m on my way. I have one on all my bikes/car/keys etc. Brilliant invention. J
You love them airtags!...

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

BikeTrac are great. I had an issue with mine not working and they came and replaced the unit free of charge. It was out of warranty too. The unit they put in had an issue, perhaps me, and they replaced that too without any charge. Both time they replaced at my home.

BikeTrac are great. I had an issue with mine not working and they came and replaced the unit free of charge. It was out of warranty too. The unit they put in had an issue, perhaps me, and they replaced that too without any charge. Both time they replaced at my home.

I had an issue with my after about 18 months.... the sent a replacement/repair unit for free.... That also then failed after about 9 months saying it had water damage???? They said that it was out of warranty and said to purchase a new on (at a reduced price).... purchased it but 1/10 for customer services/experience.

Last edited:
1/10? Have you dealt with Ryanair? Evri?
Evri are the pits, formerly known as Hermes (not to be confused with the luxury brand of overpriced frags, bags and tags).. different name, same chumps earning chump change.

Ryanair, the cattle market of airlines..

Two words. avoid,avoid !..

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back