Could a modern superbike make you faster...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplejimmy

Reaction score
then a current top level rider on a superbike of 5 or 10years ago?

Just something I have been pondering. Has technology come on so much that an average rider can now walk into a showroom buy a top level bike of the shelf and be faster then a top rider on a factory bike of 10 years ago or will talent and skill always be talent and skill?

I am leaning towards the talent and skill will win out but, I wonder how long it will be before technology makes up for it? It already does to a certain extent. When will it just be down to the bike your on rather then how good the rider is? Will it ever be that way or is it already like that (WSB Honda, Jonny Rea)?

Rider talent will always win. I think modern technology is good but if you come to rely on it in your day to day riding it won't be too long before you get caught out. Are you also saying that Johnny Rea doesn't have any talent?

Are you also saying that Johnny Rea doesn't have any talent?

No not at all. I was trying to use him as a good example of old bike technology holding talent back. Even with him overriding the Honda week by week old technology still held him back, now he is on a top bike. It speaks for it's self. So when its old Vs new could new make you better?

I agree talent will always rule.

then a current top level rider on a superbike of 5 or 10years ago?

Just something I have been pondering. Has technology come on so much that an average rider can now walk into a showroom buy a top level bike of the shelf and be faster then a top rider on a factory bike of 10 years ago or will talent and skill always be talent and skill?

I am leaning towards the talent and skill will win out but, I wonder how long it will be before technology makes up for it? It already does to a certain extent. When will it just be down to the bike your on rather then how good the rider is? Will it ever be that way or is it already like that (WSB Honda, Jonny Rea)?

I remember going on a track day with a 17 year old Tom Sykes, we were both on new R1's, he was miles faster than me and there's no way I'd be able to match that pace on my '15RR now.

Top riders will always be held back by technology. For normal people the technology (bike) will be better than the rider. What I mean is that you will reach your limit (crap oot point) way before the bike is limiting. That's why a racer can go around a track on your bike much faster than you can.

Back