Coil stick

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Anyone got a coil stick for a Gen 2 ..
f4fd7590a8ae7cf06259fefe0242edc8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

is this before or after you bought the puller? :)
After..so here goes, hope you've got 10 minutes to read this Scoob !... .. I snapped the male end off through shear frustration..

The plugs were changed a couple of years ago at Dalkeith for my big service, some will remember that incident... when I got the bike home the back wheel, my boots, leg, tyre etc was plastered in oil, they picked the bike up the following day, the diagnosis (that I was told) the rocker cover gasket was incorrectly fitted.. In other words it had been nipped by a sloppy tech, but that's not all... as I found out last night !

The rightmost plugs silicone collar which is mainly there to stop water entering the recess, it also offers support and stability to the top end of the plug and lead was incorrectly seated, it shoudk sit neat and clear of the lip on the coil stick..(see image) that made getting the tool to engage impossible, firstly there is zero room for manoeuvring, the tool fits onto the stick at almost interference level, you really have to force it on, I must have spent 40 minutes to an hour ******* around trying to get the tool to engage, there was no way it was happening, conceding to reality and out of desperation I stuck a long plain driver through the side fairing, found a leverage point, all I needed was a couple of mil lift which would have enabled the tool to slip under the lip, I was really careful not to force it, unfortunately the male end sheared clean off ...nightmare and this was at 10pm or thereabouts...

Got on the phone to Stevie the tech at Glasgow, he thought he had one in his tool box, checked this morning and the part number was different, but a coil is a coil so made my way up there anyhow, picked it up only to find the connector from the ignition circuit was slightly different.. (see image)... considering options like shaving the guide down flush with a sharp implement were quickly ruled out, so I had to use a long driver to push the protruding bit of the collar down and out the way, eventually got the tool on swapped the rightmost and No 3 cylinder coils over, so I had easier access to what I was doing.

Surprisingly the male end still engaged quite firmly with the female end or what was left of it, I got some insulating tape and neatly wrapped it round both connectors and it seems to have done the trick for now, everything is that tightly routed it actually helps keep everything in situ.. re-fitted everything and the bike fired up great. I'll order another stick and swap them over when it arrives, it should hold out OK for Oulton on Wednesday.

Really sloppy work from Dalkeith, I remember when I went to pick the bike up I had to hang around for ages, so it was a rush job to get the bike out hence the oil leak and now this.. used my bore scope a couple of times just to check the plugs were seated OK.. the rightmost recess I noticed had water staining at the base of the recess..

I'll stick on some additional pics.. Zoom in for a better view.

Vroom vroom..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zV8PFhyqrjxkWTE97
3bc798348c1325cd4098684092bb631a.jpg
8c7d0e62324163f972adf1078c8b499f.jpg
e2f504824fe4cbcb742a827cfb297b79.jpg
f676e13d8ea49d133867149fd40559cc.jpg
3ec0b592fddf6e2c27dbed2326defb56.jpg
64ca07c29b259b0b8fba343ed57de759.jpg
657587564791b2f1b14e4c6bb771e6b0.jpg
21992b13eef41a5953fd4f8190dfb511.jpg
56e15aa7200dc418dcbdc7e43222eb2b.jpg

That plug was a mess with corrosion both at the terminal end and the gasket, shows you how effective those silicone collars are, the rest of the plugs and recesses were completely unnmarked, it's no wonder I couldn't get the stick wouldn't lift nor rotate...what a headache, easily avoided if someone had taken just a few seconds longer and seated it correctly [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

I have just picked up 4 new coil sticks this afternoon from bmw. The 2 that are in the middle (2-3) are nice and easy ish to change but the ones next to the frame well, I walked away from the bike do fine if there is a trick to getting them out.

Hope that you get yours sorted Stuart.

I have just picked up 4 new coil sticks this afternoon from bmw. The 2 that are in the middle (2-3) are nice and easy ish to change but the ones next to the frame well, I walked away from the bike do fine if there is a trick to getting them out.

Hope that you get yours sorted Stuart.

I did mate, thanks for asking, Ill order a new one tomorrow unless any of yours are OK..as a side issue, why you changing them ?....

I just got back from Oulton an hour or so ago and my bike never skipped a beat in 7 sessions, guess I was a bit lucky with my leccy tape bodge job hahaha....

So Pedro on here has more or less the same problem, he text me earlier as he decided to service his Gen 1 and cant get any of his to budge despite being able to slip the tool in..no pun...... they're a bugger to get that puller located correctly in particular the outside cylinders, the frame impedes the work area but they will come out albeit at an angle as you lift the coil out of its recess.

I'd lube up the silicone collars and coil pack heads with some WD or silicone spray, make sure you offer the tool up at the correct angle to the slots on the head of the coil, and if you can try and lift it a fraction, it's brute strength, three hands and a bit of luck that will prevail.

NB: Just check those collars are sitting flush and not fouling the location slots on the coil heads..

Interested in a working coil.. what part number are yours..

Cheers
895d497377b526b62beb9bbc106a1c77.jpg

Last edited:
I do like Oulton and must get back there one day. Glad the bike was ok and you had good weather also.

Thanks for the tips on getting the coil sticks out, I will have a look try the tips tonight.

The reason I?m changing all 4 is because my bike is running on 3 and sometimes 2 cylinder. Not sure which ones (I know there is ways you can check) so I?m changing them all. On top of that it?s used 17L of fuel in 45 miles, stalls from pull off sometimes (mainly when your pulling out of a junction ?) but over 4K she sings great. Running very rough until 4K too.

The part number is the same for you and me. Let me get my bike sorted and we can have a chat about the sticks.

Latest posts

Back