Engine ECU testing/repair

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve2406

Reaction score
Hi guys, ive got a Gen1 with a faulty ECU, i suspect one of the coil drivers inside has gone down. Has anyone had any luck with a company to repair these? I have sent it to 2 different companies now and both are unable to test/repair it, its seems i have an odd ECU! Thanks in advance, Steve

odd in what way?

whats it doing,or is it dead? obv. they come up for sale quite often, but it's not as simple as just swapping out,unless you can get clocks,key set etc

Hi mate, not sure why its ?odd? but the companies i have sent it too said they cant read the software, so cant test it.
I have a misfire on cylinder 2. Long story short, my inlet camshaft failed, replaced that no problem. Then a coil pack went, replaced that and then it started misfiring again. Done a shit ton of testing and research and found out its pretty common to blow the coil drivers in the ECU when a coil pack goes down, so thats pretty much where i am with it.

ahh ok, you might benefit from a gs911 diagnostic check, you can check things like injectors with it etc, i'd assume if it's a permanant ECU fault then will show up,can swap over injectors to see if it's that bank, or faulty inj./plug/coil.

obviosly need to find someone that will lend you 1, or a garage with 1, or buy 1.. they are actually cheap 2nd haand, less than ?100 for the gen1+2, you'd only need the bluetooth (yellow version)

I know its abit more basic but im using Motoscan, no codes regarding the ECU. Ive done all that kind of testing mate, swapping coils, plugs etc. the ECU is really all it can be now. And the way it came about was odd, after i had replaced the dodgy coil pack, had her running on all 4, sweet as a nut, then when i had it running warming up whilst putting my gear on to go on a roadtest after doing the cam, it started coughing a little bit, then the engine note changed and developed a full misfire. It was a gradual on set so to speak. Ive 100% pinpointed it to No2 and given the stuff/testing ive done, all it can really be is the ECU.
If i was to replace the ECU with a 2nd hand unit, why do i also need the clocks?

clocks are coded to the ECU, they will work but (on the gen3 at least) the odometer flashes to show a swap/tamper, maybe gen1/2 are different but doubt it.

not a major problem, but mileage cant be verified whn you come to sell on.

you can get them coded at dealer though (again i,m talking gen 3, so just assuming 1+2 same)

Latest posts

Back