Check your gear linkage folks

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnboy

Reaction score
Was out at the weekend, pulled away from traffic lights a mile from home tried to click 2nd and the shifter was just flapping about. Pulled in and the bit which links onto the pin coming out of the gearbox had worked its way loose and come off, in doing so it twisted the teeth on the pivot thing (yes i'm a very technical chap ;-) ! ) and couldn't get it back on so limped her home stuck in 1st. Bike been collected today and in at the dealers getting sorted. Anyone else had this? If not i'd be checking that it's done up tightly, my bike is 2.5 yrs old, 9K on the clock and has better than a FSH! Something i'll be raising when it comes to paying the bill. It's the 3rd time the bike has been to the dealers in just over a yr and i'm getting a bit pissed off with it tbh, had a 916 for 4yrs and only had a rectifier go on that. If it wasn't such a thrill to ride I would seriously be thinking about going back to a Blade.

Iv had mine 8 months. For over 4 of these months it's been at the dealers getting continually worked on.

It went back to the dealer last Saturday to get an oil leak fixed on a newly fitted engine.

Like you said, if it wasn't such a good bike, I'd have set fire to it by now

Iv had mine 8 months. For over 4 of these months it's been at the dealers getting continually worked on.

It went back to the dealer last Saturday to get an oil leak fixed on a newly fitted engine.

Like you said, if it wasn't such a good bike, I'd have set fire to it by now
Just been reading your woes dude, i really feel for you esp as its how you earn your living! I reaally didn't expect reliability to be such an issue, although i've had nothing as serious as you. Albeit im glad the shifter didn't come off when i was banging her down the box into a corner, that could have been a brown leathers moment :-( So much for "German Engineering" im wondering if there's a Laverda badge hidden behind the Bmw one?

Ha ha, you could be right. Iv had a few dukes over the years, not one issue with any of them. Bought the S1000rr over a 1198s because of 'reliability issues'. How wrong I was lol.

The guy I do all my riding with has a stock 1198 and it hasn't missed a beat! He keeps taking the piss, cant think why :-x Having said that, nearly all my riding is on the road and have ridden both back to back and the S1000 is still the daddy for me. Havn't ridden the duke on track but for me it's a less extreme riding position ( I'm 6'2") on the german and is an "easier" bike to ride fast for someone of my abilities. Even when the tow truck turned up today i looked at my bike on the drive and thought, f**k me it's still a beast ;-)

i have just checked mine and its was lose ie flapping so tightened nut a quick pintch and its fine thanks

:witless:

Picked her up from the dealers at the weekend & the gear shift feels the most positive it ever has so am wondering if it's always been a bit loose? Anyhow got her serviced at the same time as was due in 6 weeks & the damage not too bad esp as they had to drill the bolt on the linkage

Latest posts

Back