Carrick & Solway Coast Route

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyingscotsman

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I did this run the day before I met up with Stuart for the west coast loop (below). This is in South West Scotland, not far from major towns (Ayr, Dumfries, Stranraer), but mostly not on major routes. The roads and villages feel more like the highlands & islands than the industrial central belt. This is worth a look if you're from Scotland and normally head north or if you're coming to Scotland from the south this is worth a detour in the way north.

It's a 250 mile round trip. If you stop off and explore a bit as I did it's a good days ride, but obviously quicker if you don't stop much.

I started the loop just south of Ayr in the village of Maybole. On entering village take a right signed for Maidens (the name of a town not.....), then on to the A719 along the coast towards Girvan, passing Donald Trump's Turnberry golf resort on the way. After Turnberry the coast road becomes the A77.

The section from Girvan to Ballantrae hugs the coast and has son fast sweeping bends. After Ballantrae road turns inland before coming back to the coast passing through ferry ports of Cairnryan & Stranraer (for Belfast & Larne). At Stranraer I continued on A77 to the picture postcard town of Portpatrick. This is well worth a visit, the harbour is really pretty & there are many pubs with outside tables for food/drink. I had lunch in the sunshine sitting outside the Waterside Hotel. Believe it or not there was a topless couple sunbathing on the beach (well the bloke was topless & his partner had a bikini on).

After lunch I took the A716 towards Drummore & Mull of Galloway (the most Southern part of Scotland). There is a single track road out to the lighthouse that has great views of sea & cliffs. On a clear day you can see the IoM, Ireland, Lake District & North Wales. I could see all except Ireland as there was some haze. At the lighthouse there is a cafe with great cliff views & a bird watching centre (of the avian variety!)

From here it's back up the A718 via Sandhead, the briefly on the A75 before turning right on the A747 towards Whithorn & Isle of Whithorn. IoW is another pretty harbour. The Steam Packet Inn does nice food and tables outside.

From Isle if Whithorn it's the A746 through Wigtown then the A75 to Gatehouse of Fleet where I turned right on the A755 to Kircudbright then the A711 to auchencairn & Dalbeatie.

At Dalbeatie I turned north on the A713 towards Castle Douglas then onwards to Loch Ken. The A713 through the Galloway Forest Park is a fast road with some sweeping bends and technical twisty bits.

It's well worth stoping at Loch Ken to admire the view. The A713 continues though Carsphairn and Dalmellington before arriving back in Maybole.

I'd definitely recommend this route. If you don't stop much or only once you could do it in a few hours, but it also makes an interesting day with things to look at along the way.

I'll post up some photos and a route map later.

Here is the route:

attachment.php

Refreshment stop on A77 outside Girvan (with Ailsa Craig in background)

attachment.php

Maidens Harbour

attachment.php

Portpatrick

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mull of Galloway Lighthouse

attachment.php

Mull of Galloway Foghorn (with tidal race in background)

attachment.php

Don't get too close to Mull of Galloway Cliffs (while having your coffee)

attachment.php

Sandhead (top of Mull of Galloway)

attachment.php

Port William (Whithorn Peninsula)

attachment.php

Isle of Whithorn

attachment.php

Isle of Whithorn - Steam Packet Inn

attachment.php

Loch Ken

attachment.php

attachment.php

Amazing photos and you are very lucky with the weather!

I think you need a belly pan, otherwise it looks a bit naked with full akra.

Carrick & Solway Coast Route

Fantastic photos and write up Rob, really glad you had a great couple days on two wheels [emoji41]

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this route Rob, its do able from Moffat so next time im going up I will give it a try. Did a similar route a few years back but not as good as this one :congratulatory:

Thanks for sharing this route Rob, its do able from Moffat so next time im going up I will give it a try. Did a similar route a few years back but not as good as this one :congratulatory:

Cheers, Phil. Yes it's absolutely doable from Moffat. It's a really nice ride with some pretty stops on the way. I was really lucky with the weather which helps!

I'm hoping to do Yorkshire soon, so would welcome any tips!

Cheers, Phil. Yes it's absolutely doable from Moffat. It's a really nice ride with some pretty stops on the way. I was really lucky with the weather which helps!

I'm hoping to do Yorkshire soon, so would welcome any tips!
What part of Yorkshire you intend staying at? I usually get a great deal at the Black Swan, Fearby.
If you need routes will you want GPX files or Google map links?

What part of Yorkshire you intend staying at? I usually get a great deal at the Black Swan, Fearby.
If you need routes will you want GPX files or Google map links?

Hi Phil, not sure where to stay other than near the nice roads and with discrete parking (perhaps PM locations) Was thinking of combining with a run to & from Scotland so perhaps one South and one north stop in Yorkshire.
I don't have GPS so google maps routes would be best.
Cheers, Rob

Just noticed this thread. We did a similar route for our forum meet up a couple of years ago (it was on the day of the eu referendum). We all met in Moffat and headed west from there, the roads in the middle of the forest (that FS didnt go on) are actually superb. If you have a look back or one of the mods finds the thread and pops up a link theres a picture of stuartb having his motorcycle extracted from the undergrowth after he got over excited and ran out of talent lol. And yes we ended up having a superb lunch in portpatrick on the front there. All very easily done in a day. Alex and I got back to the east coast that same evening despite his bike woes so you could easily do that area and get some miles on to elsewhere in the process.

Re: Carrick & Solway Coast Route

Just noticed this thread. We did a similar route for our forum meet up a couple of years ago (it was on the day of the eu referendum). We all met in Moffat and headed west from there, the roads in the middle of the forest (that FS didnt go on) are actually superb. If you have a look back or one of the mods finds the thread and pops up a link theres a picture of stuartb having his motorcycle extracted from the undergrowth after he got over excited and ran out of talent lol. And yes we ended up having a superb lunch in portpatrick on the front there. All very easily done in a day. Alex and I got back to the east coast that same evening despite his bike woes so you could easily do that area and get some miles on to elsewhere in the process.
Lol... I just knew you'd bring that up !.. it does help when you apply the brakes on a tight corner !'[emoji2957]

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DDUn64sYDGwdNHah9

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi Phil, not sure where to stay other than near the nice roads and with discrete parking (perhaps PM locations) Was thinking of combining with a run to & from Scotland so perhaps one South and one north stop in Yorkshire.
I don't have GPS so google maps routes would be best.
Cheers, Rob

Will sort the routes I take and ping them over and the places I have stayed in that have good/discrete parking.

Is a great ride, only bit we don?t do is the 75 to castle D, the 75 sucks, we turn left at Minigaf on the outskirts of Newton Stewart and go over the New Galloway road, it?s a belter, cuts out the boring bit to castle D and brings you back onto the carsphairn road

Last edited:
Thanks to Andy & DCB, I'll try the Galloway forest road the next time.

Stuart mentioned a run to Portpatrick, but somehow forgot to mention his off road green laning 🙂

We usually do the route the other way round, from Ayr down a713 to new Galloway, onto the a712 stopping in at Clatteringshaw Loch for a coffee, carry on the a712 through to minigaff, turn right onto the a75 for a few hundred yards to the roundabout then take a714 to Wigtown, a746 to Whithorn and onto a747 to Monreith carry on along the coast on the A747 turn left onto a75 then left off the a75 onto b7084 onto b7077 till it meets a77 to Portpatrick for food, then up the a77 to home which is girvan.

Thanks DCB. I'll try that way round too. I did the run starting at my mum's place in Irvine. I was lucky with the weather, reminded me what fantastic scenery & roads Scotland has - when its not raining :smug:

Latest posts

Back