Mull of Kintyre, Arran and (views of) Islay & Jura

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyingscotsman

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the third route of my Scotland trip. The Kintyre peninsula can be reached entirely on the mainland, but its a long way down and back on the same roads, so to avoid doubling back I decided to take a couple of ferries. There are a few choices: if your starting near Glasgow you can take the ferry from Gourock to Dunoon, then road to Portavadie then ferry to Tarbert (the one on Kintyre). I started in Irvine, so headed to Ardrossan for the Ferry to Brodick in Arran. While waiting for the ferry at Ardrossan, I found out from a couple of local bikers that there was a classic bike show on Arran that day and that we were lucky to have a place on the ferry (bikes are strapped down for the crossing and there are only 6 places). From Brodick I headed to Lochranza for ferry to Claonaig (if you have an hour or so you can take the long way round the Island and see Lamlash & Whiting Bay). I ended up spending an hour or so at the bike show in Brodick).

From Claonaig I took B8001 to Kennacraig then A83 to Campbeltown. The A83 is a fast road the follows the coast with some nice sweeping bends. The day I did it there was a very heavy police presence with speed traps (not sure whether that was because of the Arran bike show, or whether it was typical for a Sunday). Fellow road users gave advance warning of these with friendly flashes. Headed down to Campbeltown which was pretty quiet (Sunday closing). Then headed west to Machrihanish for a view of Islay and Jura. Then returned to Campbeltown and down to Southend on the tip of peninsula. There is a single track road to the Mull of Kintyre lighthouse, but you have to walk the final part. As it was getting late in the afternoon I decided not to go to the lighthouse.

Returned to Campbeltown the back up the A83 (more police speed traps!) to Tarbert where I got caught in a torrential hail storm. Stopped under a tree in a lay-by for 10 minutes until it died down. Then headed up to Ardrishaig & Lochgilphead and along Loch Fyne. This is a very scenic bit of road worth a few stops if the weather is good. Rain had stopped but all was rather grey so I pushed on, stopping for petrol in Inveraray (another pretty spot with a castle and great views of the loch. From Inveraray I continued on the A83 towards Ardgartan. About half way along is the viewpoint known as "Rest and be thankfull" with a carpark with view of lake and mountains in the background - well worth stopping for even on a dull day. There are usually a few food vans there during the day. From Ardgartan I headed to Tarbert (the one at hand of Loch Lomond - Scotland has too many places called Tarbert!). From Tarbert I headed down Loch Lomondside on the A82. After crossing Erskine Bridge I took the short route back to Irvine. If I had more time, a more scenic route is to take the A78 coast road from Greenock, through Gourock, Largs & West Kilbride.

attachment.php

S1000RR strapped down in berth #5 on the Brodick ferry.

attachment.php

Ferry approaching Arran:

attachment.php

Goat Fell (mountain) in Arran from ferry

attachment.php

From Brodick ferry terminal headed to the Heritage Centre where the bike show was being held:

attachment.php

A few interesting bikes on show

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
From the bike show at Brodick I took the road to Lochranza on Arran. Great scenery and empty roads (slightly on the bumpy side though for the S1000RR).

attachment.php

On the Lochranza - Claonaig ferry

attachment.php

Parked up at Machrihanish on Kintyre peninsula

attachment.php

View of Islay & Jura from Machrihanish

attachment.php

Re: Mull of Kintyre, Arran and (views of) Islay & Jura

Good write up and pics Rob.....that Vincents a peach...Loch Lomonds Tarbert is actually Tarbet... nae R..lol... always easier saying Tarbet Loch Fyne, then folk know where you mean..... Harris has a Tarbert and Gigha...NB; I've never been to Arran... need to get my act together.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Looks like a great trip. I've been seriously considering the Isle of Skye and/or the Highlands on the GS one weekend before the weather really turns.

Re: Mull of Kintyre, Arran and (views of) Islay & Jura

Personally I'd leave it till spring Monners... I've a post on here somewhere when we done Mallaig, Skye and back in day.. the weather and visibility were both sensational....

Heres the pics m8..you can flick up on them which gives you a location map... https://photos.app.goo.gl/KMd6zLVieGgVktFU6

Last edited:
Love the phots, I like getting in the mountains when the weather is really bad so I might still do it. I'm not sure how much is possible solo but I'd like to take a look at climbing some of the ridge lines on Skye.

Love the phots, I like getting in the mountains when the weather is really bad so I might still do it. I'm not sure how much is possible solo but I'd like to take a look at climbing some of the ridge lines on Skye.
Aye that's the Cuillins.. my mates into climbing, does ice and all that crazy stuff... says the views are sensational... that peaks the Storr in Trotternish.. think its about an hours walk from the road..

Latest posts

Back