Can I come in....

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hankfury

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and it's time to introduce myself time... I suppose I am a "re- seen the light biker". I had a few as a 16 to 19 year old, then the luxury of cars turned my head. Then I was a "born again" biker 10 years later... I owned a gym at this time and the lure of lads on bikes was irresistible... After about 4 years of fun (and some sadness) I realised I was the last man standing in my group, the only one of about a dozen riders who hadn't thrown it down the road, this stretched from silly little spills to funerals...
My second "stint" on bikes didn't end because of the funeral but two years later when I noticed a waterfall in the North Yorkshire Dales where I mostly ride. I came home and told my wife I was selling my bike... She was perplexed and wanted to know what had happened... I had ridden that stretch of road many many times, always at speed. the waterfall told me I wasn't paying attention to the tarmac. My concentration was wandering.... I wasn't the last man standing for nothing. I sold my bike and bought a Porsche 928 S4, speed doesn't interest me in cars so this heavy grand tourer was perfecto! ( And for me they are one of the most beautiful cars ever made, I personally think if the shut lines were tighter they could be produced today and still hold their own)
I kept the 928 for twelve years and was fortunate enough to win a 928 Concours trophy with it... but I found myself driving it to Devils Bridge in Kirkby Lonsdale ( Massive biker meeeting place) so I could look at the bikes.
I bought another iconic shape, a Ducati 748 Monoposto. The lines of this bike were irrisistible and brilliant handling coupled with not a lot of power would get me back up to speed in the bits that mattered, through the corners... I am proud to say I rode the nuts off it and after two years sold it to a collector in Kent before I broke it by asking too much of its power plant.
I still have a super trick 2002 Ducati Monster S4 and have had two R1's the (again) iconic First model 4XV and the one I have just written off, a 4C8. ( no longer last man standing...)
Which brings me to this forum.... I'm scratching my chin on a S1000 RR Sport. I ride with two of them and know how capable they are, I've even got my head round the assymetric headlights.... I'm just gleaning as much info as I can and would be appreciative of any input by you lot... I almost bought a 2014 model last week from a BMW dealership, but am now talking myself up to the 2015 with active suspension...? Any thoughts????
If you read this far 👍
Hankfury.

Hi Hank,

Welcome to the site and thanks for the in depth background story!

The '15 moves the game on so it (or the '16/'17) is going to be a worthwhile upgrade for all of us on <'14 models. If you've not bought either yet I would definitely say spending the extra on the '15 will be the right choice.

Hi Hank, Welcome to the forum.

I know your riding grounds well. I was on the Grassington to Hawes road a couple of weeks ago marvelling at the beauty of the waterfalls as you climb over the tops. I was on my GS so speed wasn't an issue lol.

Buy the best your budget will allow. There is nothing wrong with the 2nd gen bikes whatsoever (12-14), but the 3rd gen is continuing the evolution with the blipper and DDC. All the sthous are very capable, but ultimately you should try a 3rd gen and decide for yourself if its the one you want.

Maybe see you about.

Hi Hank,

Welcome to the site and thanks for the in depth background story!

The '15 moves the game on so it (or the '16/'17) is going to be a worthwhile upgrade for all of us on <'14 models. If you've not bought either yet I would definitely say spending the extra on the '15 will be the right choice.

Thanks Alex, I reckon I have already swung round to that line of thinking... I had Ohlins TTX shock and fork internals on my (demised) R1 and the active suspension on gen three models and therefore not ever needing to upgrade is properly attractive.

Hi Soofsayer,
Your reply made me smile... you hit the exact stretch of road I had my epiphany on. What are the chances of that in my first ever reply! &#55357;&#56397;

Thanks Alex, I reckon I have already swung round to that line of thinking... I had Ohlins TTX shock and fork internals on my (demised) R1 and the active suspension on gen three models and therefore not ever needing to upgrade is properly attractive.

Yeah you won't need to change it as such, though there's no doubt it comes from the factory set to a certain weight etc (~14st rider). Setting the Sag and fitting a 2D Front Potentiometer Sensor (which allows DDC Compression and Rebound setting seperation - they are linked standard) seem to be the 2 biggest bang for buck improvements. Springs for the right weight can be had too.

welcome hank, what a great introduction, this is the place for info on the sthou. enjoy the forum mate

Hello mate... great story there.. my mate had a 928 light body version for a long time, sold it for more than he paid for it !.

Welcome to the forum, the lads on here are dead helpful... well most of them... (Whisper..watch out for Jimmy Mac)...

Hello mate... great story there.. my mate had a 928 light body version for a long time, sold it for more than he paid for it !.

Welcome to the forum, the lads on here are dead helpful... well most of them... (Whisper..watch out for Jimmy Mac)...

Hi Stuart, I too made on the 928 when I sold it. And I'll keep a mirror clean for Jimmy Mac 😜

Hank, if you want an honest balanced opinion, I think you've come to the wrong place.... :smug:

But if it helps, I've ridden every bike in the world and having done so, I can guarantee that the 2015/2016 S1000RR is the perfect bike for you.

In all seriousness tho, nice intro - makes me realise I should have put a bit more in mine but everyone is very welcoming and there certainly seems like a lot of knowledge here.

Rgds

Hi "Rock me" Amadeus!
Yep, you could have explained in your intro how you discovered "Falco" whilst riding through Austria on one of your many bikes.... and decided there and then if you ever joined a bike forum in the future, you would use the title of his biggest hit as your pseudonym.
There... I've put some bones on your cv. &#55357;&#56860;
As for my guarantee, can I have a hard copy? ( it may just bring my insurance premium down!)
ps... its a good sign for a forum if members are up for a laugh. Top man!

Hi Hank, welcome to the site. Great intro, it made me smile when you mentioned the waterfalls. I had ridden dozens of times down to Inverary on my HP4 and it was only when I took my GSA their that I noticed that Loch Ewe was on my right hand side for miles.

Don't listen to StuartB's rumours about me, he's only miffed cause someone in the postal service has stolen his sex toy shaped like a clawless hamster.

Keep riding the way you have been, it is obviously working. Good to have you here.

JimmyMac

welcome to the site, as people have said you can not go wrong with the S1000.
I have had a 2011 gen 1 bike a HP4 gen 2 bike and now have a 2015 Gen 3 bike, with the optional forged wheels.

The gen 3 is a real progression on the early bikes and are very easy to ride fast. The suspension is softer than the HP 4 so better on the road in my opinion.
the auto blipper on the gen 3 is a very nice addition to the electronics package, the gen 3 anti wheelie and traction control is smoother than that on the early bikes.

Heh Jimmy Mac,
As I've got fanciful thought patterns I immediately jumped to your pseudonym being a homage to Martha Reeves and the Vandellas.... (if it's not humour me or I'll send you StuartB's hamster claws.... I've had them all along.)
As we both have the inability to see falling water, I was wondering do you have difficulty getting in actually in the pan.... ?? (I do so I sit down....)

Had it sung to me on a few occasions Hank, I actually do like the song. Don't have any problems with falling water, you get used to it up here, couldn't believe the difference in what you experience on two different bikes on the same stretch of road.

Nice avatar.

JmmyMac

Back