California Superbike School training

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amadeus

Reaction score
Not sure if this is an appropriate place to post this - mods feel free to move.

I was looking at the California Superbike School as it seems to have a good reputation.

Looking at the Staff link a lot of the instructors seem to be rather arrogant in their attitude to people trying to learn. Rather putting me off signing up. Has anyone done it and would like to share their experience; especially interested in people who haven't done track days.

thanks

James Whitham, Ron Haslam, CSS, i2i MCA, MotoVudu, Nemo - they all get praised and knocked...

It depends what you want to learn, how much you're willing to spend and what format you'd prefer.

@Alex - just from the comments in the Staff page. Not spoken to them.

I'm really keen to learn rather than just whizz around a track (that's something I aspire to!) and CSS seems all about learning the basics which seems sensible to me.
I actually did a Ron Haslam day but it didn't go too well. 3 sessions were red flagged because of crashes (it was light drizzle and there were crashes all over the place); the remaining one I got left behind by my tutor and track partner who was a lot faster than I was (because of the short sessions the tutor wasn't able compare) - I ended up doing 2 laps all by myself. A lot of fun for the right person but I just didn't have that confidence, especially as people were going down all over the place.

About 9yrs ago I did Ron Haslam day ( half day), my 1st time on track, 1st year of my bike licence, 1 instructor to 2 riders. A little boring as the other rider with me was not at the same sort of pace (probably a bit more nervous then me) so had to go at his pace. Didn't feel it was a particularly good briefing/instruction but maybe that was me as a novice. 12mths later I did css level 1, very good classroom work but very little track time and 1 instructor to 3 riders. Yr after that I did css level 2, same format but a little more advanced. Remember thinking on the way home that track work to classroom ratio was wrong, there wasn't enough time on track to practise classroom talks.
During the same year, by chance I was chatting online to an instructor named NemoMoto who was recommended to me by a friend. Turns out he is an ex css instructor, he left for very good reasons as far as I can see but that's for him to tell you if he wishes. I've had him a few times now, all I can say is this fella instructs to yr individual weaknesses, we got on fantastically well and I wouldn't have anyone else. 1-1 instruction is not cheap, but what you do get is continuity, all day and I mean all day, from sign on to goodbye. He also instructs on road safety I believe. On facebook as well.

i2i MCA - break the riding and the physics down then rebuild.
http://www.i2imca.com/MachineControl.asp

In MC1/3 Tom gets you to re learn how to use the controls. These are airfield based.
For MC5 is on track work.
There's a special course, Soof has done, for Knee Down too.

Last edited:
I really fancy doing the CSS, just the cost that puts me off. They do seem to get a much better write up than the likes of Ron Haslam etc.

if you a competent track rider then imo one to one training is the way to go...notsofast.com, nemo or mike spyke edwards. I did level one and two with css and felt for me it was a waste of time and money. if youve never been on track then it might work better..bad habits and all that.:)

Last edited:
Track Instruction

Nothing beats one-to-one track instruction. I've always found it particularly useful when visiting a new track that I have never been to before. Most trackday providers offer completely free instruction at their events which is well worth taking advantage of especially if you are new to track riding.

In my time I have done Ron Haslam, Chris Walker Race School (now defunct) and CSS levels 1,2 & 3:

Ron Haslam: Instructor was good at most things but it was my first time on track and I didn't really know how to get my knee down - kept getting signs that I was a chicken. Meant in a friendly way, but didn't feel I was getting enough info
Chris Walker: did it twice, second time was still struggling with the corners. Dan Linfoot was amused that I leant the bike over well...but didn't adjust my body position at all (he said he'd love to know how I stayed on the bike). In the end he challenged me to try something, explained it well, and I flew through Goddards at Mallory Park at a hell of speed (my turn to wonder how I stayed on), and I finally got it..
CSS: Did L1 at Brands. Instructor kept appearing beside me giving thumbs up then naffed off - off track he told me that I got things quickly, so he felt fine to let me practice on my own.

RH, CW and CSS1 were all 20 mins in class, 20 mins on track if I remember right - 1 instructor and 2 students (ratio might have been different at CSS1), so I felt the balance between theory and practice was fine. Only CSS was a full day though. CSS2/3 I did in the US at one of their 2 day camps, and that was quite intensive, almost got too much attention.

If you look at the price of each:
RH: c.?260 for 2.5 hours, their bike
CW: c. ?299 half day, their bike
CSS: c. ?400 full day, own bike
...then CSS doesn't sound that unreasonable (although I never fancied doing that little circuit inside Silverstone GP which they favour so much). I'd love to try others, e.g. Jamie Whitham's school but they never come south enough to make it easy to do without taking half the week off.

In the end they all have a system they follow, and if you follow it you will learn something....as long as you get on with your instructor.

I fid the JW days at Anglesey. Good level of feedback, small groups. Enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere.

- Sent from Mobile

I had a look at some of the tracks used by CSS and I thought some of them looked a little boring i.e. not many corners - speed down straights is fun but not what I'd be paying for.
Bike hire at CSS is quite expensive I thought (compared with RH); could take mine but if I bin it I'd not be able to get it home. I think it's unlikely that I would but part of my considerations.

Latest posts

Back