Buying a 1-piece suit

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I got myself one of the RST 4.1 Airbag suits this week and am now sending it back. Turns out if you need a 46 (EU56) around your core you must be 6ft+ and have longer legs than torso.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that does off the peg shorter legs (it was the thigh that was far too long)? I fear I'm going to have to go for a custom suit next which is ???'s...

I got my custom fit 1 piece through BMW, was cheaper than some off the peg options so could be worth looking at as an option. You even get to choose the colours if that's something you're interested in

Buying a 1pc Suit

If you want one with an airbag you?ll probably have to go M2M.

RST do a fitting service that?s being advertised a lot recently. You can go to their race department, get measured and give them an idea of the design and colours etc you want. From memory they have a standard and airbag suit.

RST do a fitting service that?s being advertised a lot recently. You can go to their race department, get measured and give them an idea of the design and colours etc you want. From memory they have a standard and airbag suit.

I looked on the site but I think they closed it down again.

I got my custom fit 1 piece through BMW, was cheaper than some off the peg options so could be worth looking at as an option. You even get to choose the colours if that's something you're interested in

I'll check that option thanks.

RST Race Department

I looked on the site but I think they closed it down again.

The RST Race Department is always open for ACU licence holders. They open periodically for non-ACU riders so it?s worth giving them a call to see when the next fitting window is.

Yeah I assumed they were in full swing with winter testing suits and next season.

Dainese Custom Works

Found that Dainese do different leg lengths but not with their Air suits ffs.

You could always try the Dainese Custom Works program. Prices start at the cost of the suit and then an additional ?529.95 for custom fit and ?349.95 for personalised colours. Airbag and non-airbag 1pc suits are available. The service is fantastic and highly recommended.

Dainese do custom suits.

if you don?t want to go full custom, buy off the peg and get a decent tailor to adjust.

Silvermachine in Wolverhampton made some adjustments to my Dainese jackets for sensible money. They are also doing some work on my one piece suit.

I used the Dainese shop in Wolverhampton to modify my Dainese full metal 6 gloves, they did an excellent job considering how much work goes into that. If you want a contact there let me know.

Alex,

I recently went down the path of getting a stand-alone airbag, Alpine-stars tech 10 , they also have the tech 5.

Which you can then use with any suit as-long as it has the recommend 4cm space for deployment.
Certainly opens up a lot more options / price ranges for a new suit.

Alex,

I recently went down the path of getting a stand-alone airbag, Alpine-stars tech 10 , they also have the tech 5.

Which you can then use with any suit as-long as it has the recommend 4cm space for deployment.
Certainly opens up a lot more options / price ranges for a new suit.

I was looking at that same airbag system yesterday, the issue is finding a suit with space, that doesn't expect me to be 6ft2in.
The gimoto m2m for BMW looks like its reasonable but its still over 2.5k all in with the Tech-Air 10 as well.

I was looking at that same airbag system yesterday, the issue is finding a suit with space, that doesn't expect me to be 6ft2in.
The gimoto m2m for BMW looks like its reasonable but its still over 2.5k all in with the Tech-Air 10 as well.

Ah Yeah true ?.the costs soon rack up ?. Which is annoying seeing as that RST kangaroo v.1 suit is ?750 now online which is a lot of kit for the money .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah Yeah true ?.the costs soon rack up ?. Which is annoying seeing as that RST kangaroo v.1 suit is ?750 now online which is a lot of kit for the money .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly why I bought it.

I'm just having a look at the AStars V4's they allow for the airbag and are under 1k

If I fit them thats at least just under 2k

Sent from my SM-S9060 using Tapatalk

Hi Alex,

For those of us who are over 6' 2" and don't want to look like a gorilla sh6gging a rugby ball when we ride. I previously researched the web and came across these two value sites where I might consider having a M2M 1 piece leather suit with an airbag if the present Mrs W would hurry up and win the blooming lottery.

https://www.4sr.com
https://www.drcleathers.co.uk

They seem to cater for the club racing community

FWIW - in the end I went with RST and their 4.2 2023 airbag suit. This uses the In&Motion Airbag as before.

Just before Christmas I visited their Race Department and got to try on a couple of different suits. I ended up with a size 45, which they do not sell to via retail outlets. The only adjustments were to shorten the arm length for my t-rex physique.

Once that was complete it was onto the design dept. They ask you to bring ideas etc. I took pictures of my current gear/helmets/boots etc. I'd gone in thinking to keep things relatively low key, blue, grey & black. And what I absolutely wasn't doing was being a twat in a full on BMW branded design. So I obviously ended up with a full on BMW design, ffs, face palm etc but it's still fairly basic. Anyway Zosia in the design team was great to work with as we iterated through ideas both mine and hers. From memory there were about 3 levels of leather, full cow, part kangaroo, full kangaroo...I went with part & part. The super trick printed designs are like the racers have are more ???'s than just the colourised material. I did want the camo style but decided that for the first suit I would keep it simple. See the printing examples PDF for more.

Printing Examples

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 13.26.41.jpg

We got down to brass tacks and the bill was hefty. But still better than Dainese or A-Stars.
~?1700. With a pair of their Race Dept only Kangaroo leather gloves and a spare canister.

This is when I learned why an ACU license would be a benefit. A) the price would have been at least 20% less. B) I could have had the airbag solution which deflates (without intervention). The model I have will stay inflated until you take the canister out as far as I can tell...so you'll wanna get it unzipped soon to breathe!

It was delivered late January early Feb and I finally wore it over the past weekend. https://s1000rrforum.co.uk/showthread.php?18472-The-new-hotness&p=179247&viewfull=1#post179247 it was very comfortable for all 360+ miles and it was great to not need to wear additional armour vests. The airbag is over the chest as well as the back and shoulders. I was a lot cooler in the baking sun and could feel the breeze whilst traveling at speed. Obviously its for summer use not the cold - we got lucky over the bank holiday.

Worst points: The shoulder armour hurts a bit when stood in the suit...but it's ok when in the riding position. The shin armour digs in a little (I am a delicate soul), it wouldn't if it was longer, but it ends where the boots go so I get why it's like that I'd just like it to flex a little outwards. Solution is to wear longer socks with padding like touring ones.

Overall a decent experience and would go back, but the best bit is, now they have measured me, I don't have to...we can do it all online.

Pics after the break...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back