Butterfly Valve

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exhaust Servos

Yes; a warning light will be displayed, and an ECU fault registered, if you disconnect either of the exhaust servos and turn the ignition on. I have a HP Race Power Kit fitted so I can't comment on the use of a Servo Buddy etc. From experience removing the exhaust servos is time consuming as they are not easy to access.

Re: Exhaust Servos

Yes; a warning light will be displayed, and an ECU fault registered, if you disconnect either of the exhaust servos and turn the ignition on. I have a HP Race Power Kit fitted so I can't comment on the use of a Servo Buddy etc. From experience removing the exhaust servos is time consuming as they are not easy to access.

Thank you for your reply, this is something I'm interested in as with hindsight when installing a full system it's a perfect opportunity to remove servo motors, SAS, O2 sensor etc all in one go.

I appreciate that the HP Race ECU causes no issues with this, but if there is a servo module available that prevents a warning message/fault light appearing on the stock ECU that would be perfect

HP Race Power Kit

When you install the HP Race Power Kit it tells you to remove the O2 sensors and exhaust servo motors. It also comes supplied with blanking caps for the now redundant connectors. When the standard ECU (2015-on) is 'Race Enabled' as part of the installation process it then clears all the warning lights and associated fault codes. The RSD manual makes no mention of the Secondary Air System, but it can be safely removed as it's no longer required when the HP Race Power Kit is fitted.

Engine Noise

But do your guys s1k's make the same noise?

My S1000RR was particularly noisy when I had the standard OEM exhaust system fitted. It continues to make a lot of engine noise, but nothing that I would consider abnormal.

Re: HP Race Power Kit

When you install the HP Race Power Kit it tells you to remove the O2 sensors and exhaust servo motors. It also comes supplied with blanking caps for the now redundant connectors. When the standard ECU (2015-on) is 'Race Enabled' as part of the installation process it then clears all the warning lights and associated fault codes. The RSD manual makes no mention of the Secondary Air System, but it can be safely removed as it's no longer required when the HP Race Power Kit is fitted.

Thank you again, I understand and fully agree with all of the above in regard to the racing data set enabled HP Race ECU and associated kit.

If the base vehicle warranty was left entirely intact, I'd have gone down that route too as is much "cleaner" and have always wanted it in conjunction with my Akra Evo system. However, as I am a road rider and this ECU, partially, invalidates the warranty it is a non starter for me and I imagine many others.

That's why in this context, I am exclusively referring to a stock 15 onward ECU "with" a servo removal module for each servo (on the basis that there are 15 onward specific modules available?), as in principle these trick the ECU into thinking the motor is still connected, and therefore no problem.

With regard to the SAS system, I don't see how there can be any issue with removing it and installing block off plates on a stock ECU either, as to my knowledge these systems are entirely mechanical and therefore don't interact with the ECU.

Thank you again for your replies and detailed information with regard to the HP Race Power Kit

Re: Exhaust Servos

That's interesting that as when I bought my bike it had already had the HP4 system fitted to it and up until the other day when I was helping a friend remove his standard system I hadn't realised that the bike originally came with 2 servo's, I had spotted the one bolted to the front left of his frame and wondered why I didn't have one too :nevreness:

So I assume that as the bike was previously owned by a showroom manager he must have got the workshop to fit the system when he bought it and then had them turn the warning and error off after removing the front servo.

I am just about to take the CAT section off and fit the Ti link pipe to finish the system off for the track so had only planned to disconnect the cables and leave the rest in place :smile-new:

It's doesnt sound like engine noise though...But if you all keep telling me it's normal I'll just accept it, My '10 s1k didnt make this noise i dont think...then again I had a full racefit on that

My 2010 rattled and I too went to great lengths to identify where it was coming from. In the end I read a post that described what to do and it was something like this -
1) remove fairing to access front servo
2) turn on ignition and start engine and wait for the butterfly valve to open
3) turn off ignition with the key and make sure butterfly valve remains in the open position
4) disconnect power from servo
5) restart engine and listen for rattle.

This basically tricks the ECU into thinking the valve is still open and hasn't displayed a fault. I also did the same with the rear servo as I too have decated her, with no faults showing. The only downside is my lack of knowledge as I'm not sure if it applies to later generations, sorry mate.

Exhaust Servo

As soon as you disconnect either of the exhaust servo motors and turn the ignition on, the ECU will register a fault code on the 2015+ model.

Re: Exhaust Servo

Boooooo, that's annoying. I hope you get it sorted soon but it does sound like the butterfly valves coupled in with the historically noisy S1000RR engine. Out of interest, do you know anybody else with a 2015 that you can do a comparison with? 👍🏻

Latest posts

Back