Butterfly Valve

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felix

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Many of you have probably seen my post about the annoying ticking noise trust me I have spent hours googling the problem, I want to see if its this magical thing people call the butterfly valve in the headers, How do I prove this? I'm looking around the bike and trying to google the location of it and can't find anything, any help please?

Thank you

Exhaust Valves

There are two exhaust valves. One is at the front of the bike where the exhaust headers exit the engine on the downpipes and the second is by the rider's footrest where the silencer attaches. To be honest the S1000RR is very noisy mechanically compared to most other brands so what you are hearing is most likely normal.

Thanks for the reply Ry, I'm almost postive this sound is not normal, It sounds like that tappy/ticky sound when valves have gone, So I really hope it's this butterfly valve, How do I check? Read people say that they "push" a screwdriver in there?

Really can't find anything of this on google..Is there a different name for this thing? Does anyone know before it gets dark?

Thanks

Last edited:
mine was ticking for the second half of last year and when it went in for its second service i asked if they could check to see what it could be. it was the butterfly valve between the header pipes. they said its easy to check and all that is needed to do is hold a long screw driver against it and it will stop rattling if its faulty. they replaced mine under warranty and said it is a ?1100 part. my rattle has now gone. i would just add mine only rattled on cold start up.

Thanks for that Rs, So with this screwdriver what do I do with it? Just push on this valve?

Anyone know if either a Dynojet ESRM, Servo Buddy or HealTech ESE module is available for the S1000RR?

If so, these servo motors could ideally be totally removed.
As far as I am aware, the only way to remove the motors is with the HP race ECU update

Don't really know what I'm doing do couldn't et it to stop but have a much better video showing the sound.

Last edited:
I "can" hear the ticking, but as others have said previously the SThou's are mechanically noisy engines, particularly in comparison to Jap I4's.

I don't believe it's the Cam Chain Tensionor, as it doesn't sound remotely loud enough for that, so the only alternative I am aware of could be the exhaust servo motor"s", in which case the best option would be to remove them completely and see if the ticking is reduced.

If you are worried about this, then I would suggest a quick visit to your dealer and have a BMW mechanic give an opinion. If they conclude there is nothing to worry about, then another option would be to "mask" the noise by fitting a full system, or a very minimal slip on.

I know I mentioned this previously, but the only other thing I've found has made an impact on "rattles, ticks, clatters" has been oil level, when it's near or at the top of the sight glass I subjectively notice less noise.

Hope the issue gets resolved soon buddy!

Exhaust Servos

If you are really that concerned I would suggest that you visit your local BMW dealership and get them to check the bike for you. If you disconnect either of the exhaust servo motors the ECU will register a fault code and you will then need to visit the dealership anyway to clear it.

Re: Exhaust Servos

If you are really that concerned I would suggest that you visit your local BMW dealership and get them to check the bike for you. If you disconnect either of the exhaust servo motors the ECU will register a fault code and you will then need to visit the dealership anyway to clear it.

Can you confirm whether or not a warning light appears when disconnecting the servo motors "if" a servo removal module (see previous post) is installed?
This is standard practice on other bikes, but I haven't heard much info on this in regard to RR's

I have ordered a Austin racing de-cat to mask it, And am going into the Dealers on wednesday to get a new front tyre and will ask them to listen then, But do your guys s1k's make the same noise?

I have ordered a Austin racing de-cat to mask it, And am going into the Dealers on wednesday to get a new front tyre and will ask them to listen then, But do your guys s1k's make the same noise?

Mine is quite noisy, particularly on start up, but I always ride with earplugs and have a full system so it might simply be that I am less "aware" of the ticking noise at low revs during a ride

Back