Bren Tuning hand held

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Hi has any one on here with a s1000rr tried the Bren tuning hand held ecu flashing tool from the states if so is it worth it , what are the gains IE power and torque, ease of use problems ect

Billy

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just ordered one.
When I get it I will dyno my bike again as is(full system,mapped pcv 202rwhp).I will then remove the pcv and re-connect the O2 sensors(needed with the Bren) and dyno again.I can't see how that will be perfect as it's no different to fitting a pcv and using one of their maps (gains can always be made with a dyno fine tune).

Unless I'm lucky and the Bren map is spot-on,I will then have it custom tuned by Bren and dyno again.Unfortunately,due to the need to do it all by email and the time differences it will probably take several days but I will use the same dyno each time.

I don't expect it to pick up any more peak hp but I am hoping for better pickup from my '12-at least on a par with my '10 and even stronger midrange.Quite what it will be like without the 1st 2nd 3rd gear restrictions I dread to think! Just a shame I won't find out till the sun comes out again!

I've just ordered one.
When I get it I will dyno my bike again as is(full system,mapped pcv 202rwhp).I will then remove the pcv and re-connect the O2 sensors(needed with the Bren) and dyno again.I can't see how that will be perfect as it's no different to fitting a pcv and using one of their maps (gains can always be made with a dyno fine tune).

Unless I'm lucky and the Bren map is spot-on,I will then have it custom tuned by Bren and dyno again.Unfortunately,due to the need to do it all by email and the time differences it will probably take several days but I will use the same dyno each time.

I don't expect it to pick up any more peak hp but I am hoping for better pickup from my '12-at least on a par with my '10 and even stronger midrange.Quite what it will be like without the 1st 2nd 3rd gear restrictions I dread to think! Just a shame I won't find out till the sun comes out again!

baz, what made you decide on the bren unit rather than a tune at Hilltop?

Way i read it (quickly) there's more benefit for the early models than the later? Would this affect the regs if using it for racing....

Although it works out more expensive,at least with the handheld you get 4 maps including back to Stock setting which you can swap about at will,so no need to have the ecu re-mapped if bike goes to dealers as you can do it yourself.
As this bike is only used on track I'm hoping Bren can give me different levels of modification to ignition advance/retardation etc by email to the handheld.

Way i read it (quickly) there's more benefit for the early models than the later? Would this affect the regs if using it for racing....

It looks like the main gain on '10/'11s is '12 dtc/abs settings.I'm not sure if there are any gains on '12 dtc but I can live with that.
The biggest gains on a '12 that I can see are reverting back to '10 power delivery and improved ignition advance,removal of 1/2/3rd gear restrictions and,of course,more direct response between twistgrip and ecu.And hopefully,a few other things!

It looks like the main gain on '10/'11s is '12 dtc/abs settings.I'm not sure if there are any gains on '12 dtc but I can live with that.
The biggest gains on a '12 that I can see are reverting back to '10 power delivery and improved ignition advance,removal of 1/2/3rd gear restrictions and,of course,more direct response between twistgrip and ecu.And hopefully,a few other things!

Please keep us updated Baz as myself and a I expect a few others will be very intrested

Please keep us updated Baz as myself and a I expect a few others will be very intrested

Yes,I will post up dyno results etc.
I just wish I could try it on track-still summer will be back soon! Roll on Xmas,let's get that out of the way first then a week later it's 2014!

I wish I could make up my mind on what to go for. Hilltop tune or Bren tuning unit. :/

I wish I could make up my mind on what to go for. Hilltop tune or Bren tuning unit. :/

Hopefully,I'll have mine sorted this side of xmas.Although it won't go on track until February,I presume some things will show up on the dyno.
I'll post up full details as we progress.

I have one already. Installed a few weeks ago and have been looking for a decent gap in my schedule to get it dynoed.

I am very happy with it. Ultra easy to install! Smoother in the mid range, hard to tell about the top end but seems better. I also prefer the new TC settings, I sometimes found the 2013 settings a little on the intrusive side but the new ones are great!!

As soon as I can get to a dyno I will get the details up.

Save your money for now.I have dyno'd mine.No improvement on any of the maps.Am waiting for a custom tune to recover the 7hp loss of midrange compared to well set up pcv.(Bren reckons mine is unusual!!!)As I have said previously,I didn't expect more hp-but I did expect it to be closer to the pcv setup.
I don't doubt it will feel better given the other mods Bren makes but I still want what I had before!

I will post dyno maps etc.and more info when we get on the dyno again.

The most annoying thing is my bike sits at the dyno shop so I can't even look at it lovingly!

Save your money for now.I have dyno'd mine.No improvement on any of the maps.Am waiting for a custom tune to recover the 7hp loss of midrange compared to well set up pcv.(Bren reckons mine is unusual!!!)As I have said previously,I didn't expect more hp-but I did expect it to be closer to the pcv setup.
I don't doubt it will feel better given the other mods Bren makes but I still want what I had before!

I will post dyno maps etc.and more info when we get on the dyno again.

The most annoying thing is my bike sits at the dyno shop so I can't even look at it lovingly!
Ah bless lol !

Quick update.
It's looking good.Now the minor problem is sorted the Bren map has picked up 3bhp over the well set up pcv map.
I will post info and maps at the weekend as I have just sourced some race fuel to try on the dyno.

We couldn't get decent figures with the race fuel(to be honest,I don't know what the fuel was!I just scrounged it from an AutoGP race team).

However,as far as the Bren Tune is concerned,I have to say I AM IMPRESSED!
It has picked up 3bhp and 3lb/ft torque everywhere,bettering the dyno set-up PCV.
I would imagine it could even pick up a bit more midrange with a bit more fuel added.
If the other mods Bren changes are as good as this then roll on track time!

If I can fathom out how to post a pdf file I will add the dyno maps!

For some reason I can't upload the map,I even tried scanning it.I ended up taking a photo!

Red is dyno'd PCV map

Blue is irrelevant

Green is Bren Tune map.As can be seen-nearly 10hp gain where you want it and still makes 3hp extra top end

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back