Brake pads

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yam-andy

Reaction score
looking to replace the pads on the bike, current ones are shot! used SBS racing sintered last time and to be honest they were ok but not up to the job on track, seemed to lack the initial bite of brembos and very spongy lever after a couple of laps, possibly due to heat transfer from pads. Going to get some decent fluid and thinking of going back to brembo pads was looking at 07BB33SA (racing sinter) or 07BB3369 (original brembo sintered) does anybody have any experience of the SA compound or recomend any other decent pads that work well on track, I do a bit of road riding and don't want hassle of changing if wet etc so don't want to go down the carbon rout? if can be helped.

cheers

looking to replace the pads on the bike, current ones are shot! used SBS racing sintered last time and to be honest they were ok but not up to the job on track, seemed to lack the initial bite of brembos and very spongy lever after a couple of laps, possibly due to heat transfer from pads. Going to get some decent fluid and thinking of going back to brembo pads was looking at 07BB33SA (racing sinter) or 07BB3369 (original brembo sintered) does anybody have any experience of the SA compound or recomend any other decent pads that work well on track, I do a bit of road riding and don't want hassle of changing if wet etc so don't want to go down the carbon rout? if can be helped.

cheers

FWIW
07BB3369 = OEM
07BB33SA = Road
07BB33SC = Fast Road / Track
07BB33RC = Race

I've got the SBS HS870's in at the moment and whilst they initially were great, I'm not so sure of their ultimate ability now.

I'm going to try the SC's when I get the RCS Brembo Master Cylinder.

I know I have different pads on the HP4 because of the calipers, however I am changing my pads at the moment so thought I'd chip in here. I rang the dealer for the replacement pads and they quoted ?73.82 for each oe set (need two sets). I think the front judder I am getting on excessive braking is down to the pads, and when I checked my oe pads earlier today they were very thin...

From what I have read and heard the oe pads are not the best.

So instead I've gone for the Brembo BMW Sintered SC Compound Front Brake Pads For Fast Road & Track Use 07-BB-37-SC. ?144.10 delivered.

If someone could very kindly explain the differences between the SC compound and the oe ones it would be useful to know as I have made my bed, so to speak.

I will be testing them next week at Donnington so they'd better work lol.

It seems to be a higher metallic content. This increases rotor wear (but in discs designed for 20k+ that's not a biggy).
OE ones are a Ceramic mix (replacing traditional Organic) which is in this case is kind on the rotors and needs no warm up.
I think the SC's may need a little more care when cold. But the Mu level is v.high over 100DegC.
RC's have a high Ceramic content and would need a lap to warm up...not idea for the road.

The SA's are worse than OE's for braking performance from what I've read. So just discount them, only leaving the SC's as an "upgrade" for trackday use.

Brembo SC Compound Road/Track Front Brake Pads

I've used these previously and they are extremely good. Highly recommended.

think I'll give the sc compound a go! I had a fair bit of vibration/ judder down back straight at snett couple weeks back also cause by low pads, looked like pad material was also coming away from the backing plate, they were the sbs pads, presume it was down to heat generated and near end of life!

Carpimoto

Yes. I've ordered a few things from them in the past and they are always reasonably priced and ship products quickly. They are one of the better European parts suppliers.

I was going to use them when ready - so am interested in feedback esp on shipping times (which isn't entirely up to them)

Re: Brembo SC Compound Road/Track Front Brake Pads

Another thumbs up for carpimoto, I ordered brake pads from them last month. Cheap price and delivery was pretty swift. Defo use them again

EBC GPFAX Brake Pads

They are a very good trackday/race only brake pad and are not suitable for road use. I personally prefer Brembo RC compound brake pads for track only use as for me they offered far better feel at the lever and stronger initial bite.

Despite a visit to the kitty litter today(another thread in due course), the sc front pads were spot on. The judder is gone Andy, that's a relief for me, I was being told it could be the head bearings. The pads give a firmer response to the oe ones and I noticed no brake fade during the 20 minute sessions of mid to high 1.50 laps. On the ride down to donny they felt good on the road and didn't need time to warm up, so I would certainly recommend them. I switched out the rears too for the SA compound ones, I think without checking the box, and they were good also, took a bit more bedding in before they performed properly but worked well after that.

As an update on the brembo sc pads,..... I noticed my brake fluid was low last week and the cause was the front pads were nearly toast. I was quite surprised TBH. Only fitted them August last year and done 2 trackdays and a bit of road riding (not much, after August I rode the bike once before winter and then not again until this spring). So in terms of longevity, not particularly good as a fit and forget pad, but performance wise I can't fault them.

Fitting a new set of the same pads again tonight so I'll see how they last this time.

Ordered this time from the Italian website above on Monday, delivered Wednesday.

Based on looking through the various threads on brakes I decided to give Brembo SCs a try on my front brakes (leaving OEM back brake on, loads of life there) and want to fit them in time for the BMW Club day at Snetterton next month. I am replacing the original OEM pads. They've just arrived (next day delivery from HPS). I was a little taken aback to realise what SCs actually are. Giles at HPS explained this to me when I ordered them, so no complaints there, I guess I just didn't fully comprehend at the time. Instead of 2 'blocks' of brake (one per side of the caliper), you get 4 individual mini-pads per side.

I guess that they will all fit snugly enough into the caliper? Anything I need to be aware of when using them (other than, learning from Soof, check them VERY regularly for wear, I've done 10,800 miles on OEMs and there's still lots of life in them). I think someone I spoke to about them warned that they aren't fixed in and there's a risk they'll slip out if taken too close to the metal.

Cheers

Rick

All the non-HP4's have 8 pads at the front end, that's standard for the Brembo Caliper design.

i'm running Galfer semi-sintered, really good for fast road / wet & dry etc... front and rears lasted 6k. Disks look like new and not much dust comes off.

Latest posts

Back