Brake fluid - Brake bleeding - which type

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should always torque up the spindle then bounce the front forks before doing the pinch bolts.

Did you change your own brake fluid? Did the ABS and connected brakes have an effect?

You should always torque up the spindle then bounce the front forks before doing the pinch bolts.

Did you change your own brake fluid? Did the ABS and connected brakes have an effect?

No the shop did the fluid. Going to bounce the front forks and see if that cures the issue.

I'd double check, spindle and pinch bolts first, I know it's prob not the case but a mate had a tyre change and some idiot managed to put some spacers in wrong way causing it to binde on, I imagine this would through up abs fault though due to sensor spacing, give the discs a bit of a light sanding, might be something on them, last resort check tyre, wheel weights, all well these bikes having fancy electrics abs etc but can't help think if sometime these aid problems!! Did you say your mate has a s1000? Can you try his wheel on your just to rule a few things out?

Cant see how this would change anything? Spindle is machined to slide through forks (and bearings) and a fair length of thread t'other end, if mis-aligned would not fit? Thought pinch bolts were to stop it undoing....

Bouncing the forks is to make sure they are exactly parallel on the front spindle. Which is torqued up enough to stop it coming loose. The pinch bolts wil. hold the bottom of the fork in the correct place.

I've got a sponge back brake and going to bleed it phoned BMW spoke to the mechanic he said bleeding the brakes on the s1000rr doesn't effect the abs?

Has anyone tried reverse bleeding? using a massive syringe to inject the fluid from the caliper up. as you push the good stuff in the air and old stuff collects up top, drain it off and keep going till it runs clear. I just got a kit off ebay, will try it on my Kwacker first I think.

If it helps, I just took off a race line set up and re-installed the abs lines. Couldn't for the life of me find the ones I took off, so had a set of braided lines made up. I also swapped back from a brembo RCS master cylinder to the standard lever and master cylinder. Anyway, suffice to say, the only fluid anywhere was what was held in the calipers.

I thought that it would be a nightmare to bleed up the system and phoned BMW to see how much they'd charge to bleed them for me....£90. Anyway, had a load of RBF600 fluid in the garage so thought I'd just have a try.

It was really easy. I don't get on with speed/pressure bleeders, so I just use a pipe and jar of old fluid. Took about 15 mins in total. Not sure it makes a difference, but I did front right caliper first (took quite a long time and a LOT of air came through) but eventually fluid flowed clear. Them the front left caliper, much quicker.

Then finally the rear, fair bit of air, but came through clear inthe end.

Left the bike over night with a tie wrap on the front lever, then a final bleed of the calipers and jobs a good un.

HTH.

If it helps, I just took off a race line set up and re-installed the abs lines. Couldn't for the life of me find the ones I took off, so had a set of braided lines made up. I also swapped back from a brembo RCS master cylinder to the standard lever and master cylinder. Anyway, suffice to say, the only fluid anywhere was what was held in the calipers.

I thought that it would be a nightmare to bleed up the system and phoned BMW to see how much they'd charge to bleed them for me....£90. Anyway, had a load of RBF600 fluid in the garage so thought I'd just have a try.

It was really easy. I don't get on with speed/pressure bleeders, so I just use a pipe and jar of old fluid. Took about 15 mins in total. Not sure it makes a difference, but I did front right caliper first (took quite a long time and a LOT of air came through) but eventually fluid flowed clear. Them the front left caliper, much quicker.

Left the bike over night with a tie wrap on the front lever, then a final bleed of the calipers and jobs a good un.

HTH.

Nice 1

HTH.

Fancy writing a "S1000RR Brake bleeding guide for Dummies?". I'm sure it would be much appreciated by many, including me :)

Back