BMW S1000RR Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, will do thank you for the tip.

Whats your opinion about the carbon from Alpha racing? I see it's cheaper as Fullsix and Akraprovic but can you say somehting about the quality.

It's good but not for 'show' as such. FullSix/Ilmberger etc are for show.

alpha Racing

alpha Racing carbon fibre fairings are extremely good... for track and race use.

You have to remember that alpha Racing almost exclusively make parts for racing purposes only. If you are looking for parts mainly for road use, then I would look elsewhere.

Re: alpha Racing

alpha Racing carbon fibre fairings are extremely good... for track and race use.

You have to remember that alpha Racing almost exclusively make parts for racing purposes only. If you are looking for parts mainly for road use, then I would look elsewhere.

Thats the thing, the intention was to ride mostly on the road but it went more to track riding. So I am the point that I want to change the fairings aswell as I have noticed now with my little accident that the BMW fairings cost a lot....
Functional will be more relevant then the looks.

"alpha Racing carbon fibre fairings are extremely good... for track and race use." in terms of protection?

"alpha Racing carbon fibre fairings are extremely good... for track and race use." in terms of protection?

Weight, shape, fit. The finish is good but their priority is the other subjects.

What would they protect from? They are still going to come out second best to the floor.

Last edited:

Weight, shape, fit. The finish is good but their priority is the other subjects.

What would they protect from? They are still going to come out second best to the floor.

That was what I am thinking about if the carbon FRAME has any protection use or is it just for the looks?

Till u feel comfortable with either firstly going to the track and throwing the bike around I’d recommend u go cheap and get alpha out ur head
And secondly purchase two sets. One set for the day’s u going track for fun and another for when u going to compete against ur mates. The second lot u know u going the track to ride hard and stand chance of coming off. The first should be to gain confidence , practice and enjoy .
Copying Ryan whom has hundreds of documented hours on track isn’t the way to go . He has earned his spot to wear good fairings and other things like his switchgear that more a worry than the plastics , coz he knows his limits for that day. Or can afford to replace.
My track bike has several kits , u can guarantee the first time I meet the lads off here on track my bike having the scratched plastics on it coz I know I’m going to be riding hard, I know if I ain’t winning I’m coming off trying.
However when I teach or ride for fun I got the posh on.
Right frame of mind for the right day... or this tracking becomes very expensive.

Jay

I do not want to copy Ryan. Just want information how to setup my bike which fits my level of experience and getting some tips what to do and what not to do.
So I can keep money in my pocket if its a waiste of money.

Carbon frame/swing arm protection is a must. Alpha are best fitting in my experience. I have them.

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:
I do not want to copy Ryan. Just want information how to setup my bike which fits my level of experience and getting some tips what to do and what not to do.
So I can keep money in my pocket if its a waiste of money.

Bit late to this 'conversation' but if you are looking at road riding with some trackdays mixed in my 2p is:

You dont necessarily need to get race fairings for the odd trackday. In the knowledge that the oe fairings cost a kidney or two to replace you can pick up cheap road fairings online in all sorts of liveries and have them respsrayed if you fancy a change at some point. If you go to race fairings one day you can simply sell the others on.

Put crash protection on; axle and swingarm bobbins, frame sliders, and of course frame covers, and I would also recommend swing arm covers. The latter two are essential because a scratch on either would likely be unrepairable and would have a big impact on the value of your bike. They also look cool. Alpha, fullsix, there are plenty of manufacturers, alpha is for race whereas if you want the bike to look good on the road then you really want the 'street' carbon which has a high gloss finish and should have few or zero imperfections in the weave.

Get the bmw track kit which has plugs for the indicators and mirrors, tail etc.

If you are going to use slicks then a second set of rims with wets on is a good idea (assuming you have transport to and from the track).

Thats about it, sorry if you knew all that already.

Yeah Soof still runs and I did run some OE copy panels from China which are spot on for this.

Last edited:
Sorry dude if it reads that way. There was plenty of info before I said Ryan but u jumped to the Ryan part . And after.
I also explained that to save money u need two sets and to learn to ride to enjoy so u don’t waste money or wear the crap plastics to compete.
And I was gonna send pm saying I have loads of spares I will stick up next week ... will give that a miss.

Question ... why wouldn’t u want to copy Ryan ?? His bike lovely, the most documented bike on here and best equipped ...
Answer.... cost

I have read your info and there where some tips I can use, so thank you for that.
The part about Ryan was just a conformation from me that I still have a lot to learn. No judgement to you of whatsoever just a comment nothing more nothings less.

Specification

For those who may find it useful here is the specification list for my track only S1000RR...

attachment.php

Specification

Engine and Exhaust

Akrapovič HP Titanium Full Race Exhaust System
alpha Racing (BMC) Air Filter
alpha Racing (Samco) Coolant Hoses
alpha Racing Engine Case Protectors
alpha Racing Magnetic Oil Sump Bolt
alpha Racing Oil Filler Plug Kit
alpha Racing SAS Airbox Cover
alpha Racing SAS Valve Cover Set
alpha Racing Timing Chain Protector Kit
BMW HP Racing Data Release & Mapping
BMW HP Race Enabled ECU
BMW HP Race Power Kit

Transmission

alpha Racing Chain Guard Failure Kit
BMW HP Chain Adjusters
D.I.D 520 ZVM-X Chain
Renthal Sprockets

Suspension

2D Potentiometer / Front Fork Travel Sensor
alpha Racing 46mm Front Fork Stroke Indicator
alpha Racing DDC Front Fork Springs

Brakes

alpha Racing Rear Brake Reservoir
alpha Racing Titanium Caliper Bolts
BMW HP (Stahlbus) Race Brake Bleed Valves
Brembo GP4-RX Calipers
Brembo Z04 Front Brake Pads

Controls and Ergonomics

alpha Racing Brake Lever
alpha Racing Brake Lever Guard
alpha racing Clip-ons w/Offset & Retractable Clamps
alpha Racing Clutch Lever
alpha Racing Rearsets
alpha Racing Remote Brake Lever Adjuster
alpha Racing Switchgear Conversion Kit
Stompgrips

Bodywork

alpha Racing Carbon Fibre Race Fairings
alpha Racing Fairing Drain Plugs
alpha Racing Fairing Mounting Kit
alpha Racing (MRA) Screen
Akrapovič HP Carbon Fibre Exhaust Bracket
BMW HP Carbon Fibre Airbox Cover
BMW HP Carbon Fibre Front Mudguard
BMW HP Carbon Fibre Rear Mudguard
BMW HP Race Seat

Wheels

alpha Racing Captive Wheel Spacers
BMW HP Forged Wheels
BST Carbon Fibre Wheels
FFR Quick Release Wheel Axle Kit

Miscellaneous

2D GPS Laptrigger
2D Infrared Receiver
Akrapovič Baffle
alpha Racing Brake Reservoir Cover
alpha Racing Carbon Fibre Frame Protectors
alpha Racing Crash Protectors
alpha Racing Paddock Stand Adapters
alpha Racing Plug Set
alpha Racing Rain Light
alpha Racing Steering Lock Stops
alpha Racing Quick Release Fuel Cap
BMW HP (2D) Race Datalogger
BMW Tank Protector
Cox Racing Titanium Radiator & Oil Cooler Guard Kit
MYLAPS X2 Race Transponder
Renthal Clean Grips

@Ryan, do you know what the torque is for the alpha racing Clip-ons? It doesn't come with the package.

Hi Ryan, how do you make use of the; MYLAPS X2 Race Transponder?
Not seeing how / what you need to run it and get laptimes?

alpha Racing

@Ryan, do you know what the torque is for the alpha racing Clip-ons? It doesn't come with the package.

You will have to check with alpha Racing directly as unfortunately I do not have the torque settings to hand.

MYLAPS Transponder

Hi Ryan, how do you make use of the; MYLAPS X2 Race Transponder?
Not seeing how / what you need to run it and get laptimes?

You need a subscription and account with MYLAPS to make it function. It's ideal if you are racing as MYLAPS / TSL provide the timing and sector data for most of the National and Club race series in the UK. I wouldn't bother purchasing one for trackdays (UK or European) as timing equipment is banned so you will not be able to use it. Focused Events use MYLAPS transponders on their Chrono Days and as an instructor I can use my own for lap timing purposes. However, if you are a paying customer on one of their days you have to use their transponders, and not your own, as we need to be able to see the timing data to accurately sort the groups based on lap times and ability for added safety on track.

Ryan, am confused(not hard) I bought one (2nd hand for racing) and timing is automatically picked up with TSL. You talk about an account and subscription, for what/who ?

MYLAPS Transponder

If you have one of the older AMB transponders the timing data is automatically provided by TSL. When you buy one of the newer X2 transponders they come with a subscription which gives you a MYLAPS account and a whole host of data services and an unlimited warranty. The X2 transponders work exactly the same as the AMB ones, and still register with TSL for live timing like before, but now you get a MYLAPS account when you buy from new.

@Ryan, I am looking at your bike pictures and see now diffence on colour between the tank fairings and the tank itself. They both seem the same white.
The white colour on my tank is "mystic white" as the dealer calls it. So getting the same colour on some track fairings will be hard.

Race Fairings

My race fairings are currently vinyl wrapped and not painted. For me this was a much cheaper option given that I crashed on track at the end of 2016 so had to replace a couple of my fairing panels which were previously painted. The 3M vinyl wrap which I used is quite a good match in colour but there are hundreds of options to choose from.

If you decide to paint your race fairings then the Motorsport paint codes are listed below and will give you an exact colour match.

Light White: B15
Lupin Blue Metallic: M25
Racing Red: YN77

How you finish your race fairings will depend entirely on how much you are willing to spend. Just remember that there is a certain inevitably about crashing on track so at some point you will probably have to repair or replace damaged fairing panels.

Latest posts

Back