BMW S1000RR Sport

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Trackday

Your Dainese kit looks to have held up really well after the crash Ry!

Did you have to get anything repaired or replace anything??

Last edited by a moderator:
Dainese

My D-Air race suit, boots and gloves all survived fairly unscathed despite some very minor scuffs. As the airbag deployed during the crash I did have to send my suit back to a Dainese D-Store for servicing over the winter.

Trackday

120417_8112_cadwell_park_zps2oul2yob.jpg

120417_8980_cadwell_park_zpsgf2pkndm.jpg

120417_8070_cadwell_park_zpsvewaig1v.jpg

Trackday

Superb trackday at Donington Park today instructing with Focused Events.

IMG_2847_zpsarkbffrg.jpg

Report to follow...

Last edited:
When are you instructing at Donny with Focused again Ryan, planning to go there again soon, you can give me some pointers and show me how to get 60deg around Redgate - I've normally got my knee and size 11's down around there at under 50deg :)

Great to meet you today Ryan. Don't forget to post these dates... you might have persuaded me to dip my toe in the track day pond ��

Focused Events

I'm next instructing with FE at Silverstone on 5 Jun 17 and should be at Donington Park again towards the end of next month once dates are confirmed. I should also be at Snetterton on 23 May 17, but I'm just riding there with No Limits and not instructing.

That silverstone date is ?329! I'll pass. Edit - sorry ?169, was looking at the BMW training thingy.

Might come and do Donny but it depends on the dates.

Last edited:
Trackday

This year I will be doing quite a few trackdays as an instructor with Focused Events and last Thursday marked my first outing of the season with them at Donington Park. The weather was sunny with temperatures peaking at 14?C, however the wind was quite strong throughout the day and was particularly noticeable throughout Sector 2 of the circuit.

The event was a Chrono Day so all bikes were fitted with a timing transponder. All lap times in the morning sessions were then recorded and analysed and the groups were then rearranged according to pace. When looking at everyone's lap times it underlined the massive range of ability and this system helped sort riders into more appropriate groups. Most of the movement within the groups was in the Intermediates, with many dropping down into Group 1 and a few moving up. Likewise a few of the Fast group were clearly not as 'fast' as they thought and were moved accordingly. The result was more balanced groups where riding ability was better matched.

After leading the compulsory sighting laps I was free to circulate and filter in and out of the different groups. I've personally used trackday instructors to help learn the racing line when visiting a new circuit and always found them to be extremely helpful. It was nice to be able to offer advice to others but I would still advocate that for those looking for any significant rider development then investing in a full, or several days worth of coaching is definitely the way to go.

A highlight of the day was I got to spend half a session following Phil Crowe which was hugely entertaining. He was testing a new BMW HP Type 5.2 Superstock engine in preparation for the NW200 and suffice to say he was absolutely rapid. By lap 4 I had given up trying to keep up with him; especially down Craner Curves and back up through Schwantz. With the resulting tow, and a lot of effort, I managed a 1:39.4.

I absolutely love the Donington Park circuit and I managed 49 laps over the course of the day which wasn't too bad. Overall I found the event rewarding as both an instructor, especially following positive feedback from those who I had helped throughout the day, and as a rider. Now I'm just looking forward to my next trackday later this month...

Brembo GP4-RX Calipers

This is my third season owning my BMW and I've reached a point where I'm fed up with paying an extortionate amount of money for race brake pads. For me there is absolutely nothing wrong with the OEM braking system on track; especially after changing brake fluid type and fitting Z04 brake pads. However, the price of Brembo race pads is fairly ridiculous due to the four pad per caliper design of the OEM Brembo front brake calipers. For me this is singularly the most irritating part of ownership and my only real criticism of the bike. So much so I've decided to invest in a pair of Brembo GP4-RX brake calipers.

I was going to buy a set at the end of last season but when my ambition outweighed my talent at a very wet Snetterton, my off season budget was swallowed up by the cost of repairs. I've purchased these as in the long-term they will pay for themselves as Brembo Z04 pads for these calipers are around 50% cheaper. I had planned on buying some at the end of this season but given the amount of trackdays I am doing this year it made sense to buy them now. That and there is now a six month lead time for ordering them from Brembo. Fortunately I managed to negotiate a good deal on the calipers and got the last pair off the shelf at Reactive Parts. I could have bought a cheaper set of Brembo M4 calipers but given that these will fit any bike with 100mm caliper mounting points I decided to go for the GP4-RX version.

The design of the GP4-RX calipers is actually quite clever. They are radially mounted two piece calipers machined from solid aluminium, much like those found in BSB and WSBK, and have a rather nice nickel coating. The brake pads slide within the caliper body on special guides machined directly into the caliper itself which means they do not have any retaining pins. They are designed to work with 320mm x 5.5mm brake discs so are completely compatible with the HP discs that I am currently using on both sets of wheels. Helpfully they also fit the OEM brake lines so there is no need to buy aftermarket items and as a bonus my HP bleed valves also fit. They also come supplied with standard Z01 sintered brake pads which work well at both low and high temperatures and are ideal for use in wet weather on track.

I'm not really interested in performance gains as the most important thing for me about these calipers is that they only use two brake pads on each side. This now makes purchasing my favoured Z04 race brake pads much more affordable.

Now I've just got to find the time to fit them and bleed the brake system...

Very shiny Ryan :). It is odd about the standard calipers on these bikes, I guess they are cheaper than the M4 blocks for BMW to supply and fit to new bikes?

OEM Calipers

There's nothing wrong with the OEM calipers and performance wise they are very similar to the Brembo M4 calipers. Ultimately they are just your typical Brembo caliper designed cheaply for mass production.

One of my track riding mates has just become an instructor for nl. He was out at parcmotor last mnth and went through a bit of training. Hes an ex racer , bloody quick but more importantly hes a really nice guy and all he wants to do is "give back" to newer riders. He says im a lost cause though 😂😂😂. Congrates for being an instructor , its people like you who give us slow boys a nudge in the right direction

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Brembo Z04 Front Brake Pads

For those interested here is a price comparison for a complete set of Brembo Z04 race brake pads for both the OEM and GP4-RX calipers.

OEM Brembo Calipers
Part #: 107.A486.47
Price: ?336.00

Brembo GP4-RX Calipers
Part #: 107.A486.39
Price: ?204.00

Brembo GP4-RX Calipers

Yes; they can be used with or without ABS. Piston size is 4 x 32mm.

Latest posts

Back