Bike won't start after lay up

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRD1000

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

Annoying 'won't start post' but I need some help please.

2017 with DWA. Been layed up over winter, battery removed and charged on a charger.

Reconnected today. On ignition start nothing at all, no dash lights, no sign of life. Checked fuses and battery connection, all good.

Kill switch set to run etc.

Any ideas please? DWA maybe immobilising?

Thanks

Mike

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Hi, have you checked the battery is good and holding charge? DWA is alarm battery related. If you have an alarm fitted try unplugging it and see if the bike will respond.

Hi, have you checked the battery is good and holding charge? DWA is alarm battery related. If you have an alarm fitted try unplugging it and see if the bike will respond.
Battery charger indicates main bike battery is good. I'll try unplugging the alarm, thanks

Nope. Disconnected alarm, nothing.

Charger indicates battery is charged, no reason to think it's discharging, not holding charge.

Baffled

Er in that case I dont know mate. Last hope would be leaving the bike with the battery connected for a few hours and see if it comes back to life. If not then it could be any number of things but a dealer would need to check the error codes. Maybe a stupid question but do you get signs of mice where the bike is stored over winter?

If the battery voltage is about 13.5 or above it should be ok. If you have nothing at all no dash lights etc then it?s either the master fuse ignition switch ring or the alarm. Have you tried resetting the alarm? Can you arm dis arm the alarm?
Have you tried the spare key?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies gents.

I have now confirmed that the battery is not holding charge, only showing 0.4 volts.

Suspect that my budget charger may be to blame, assuming that a less than one year old battery is not faulty (it never showed any signs of electrical issue prior to laying up).

It's on a different charger now, hopefully to be recovered.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies gents.

I have now confirmed that the battery is not holding charge, only showing 0.4 volts.

Suspect that my budget charger may be to blame, assuming that a less than one year old battery is not faulty (it never showed any signs of electrical issue prior to laying up).

It's on a different charger now, hopefully to be recovered.

Cheers

Did you keep the battery regularly charged while inside off the bike?
What kills lead acid batteries is letting the go into discharged state for a period of time. You then get insoluble deposits on the plates & it won't charge. This will kill even a new battery

Did you keep the battery regularly charged while inside off the bike?
What kills lead acid batteries is letting the go into discharged state for a period of time. You then get insoluble deposits on the plates & it won't charge. This will kill even a new battery
It was regularly charged. Being an AGM battery (standard BMW) I believe it should be more than capable of surviving a few months off the bike, even if not charged.

I'll test my charger and see how that looks.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back