Bike software/firmware update

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPlogger

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Spent 4 hours in Allan Jefferies today not my choice.
They was investigating the reason for;
1. Bank angle sensor display not working.
2. Heated grips get really hot (too hot to touch).
3. White bits in the coolant.

They "corrupted" the software with updating the bike and tell me the white bits in the coolant is normal!

I'm going to return the bike for a full refund. I've had trouble and issues with the bike since new. Also poor customer service.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Spent 4 hours in Allan Jefferies today not my choice.
They was investigating the reason for;
1. Bank angle sensor display not working.
2. Heated grips get really hot (too hot to touch).
3. White bits in the coolant.

They "corrupted" the software with updating the bike and tell me the white bits in the coolant is normal!

I'm going to return the bike for a full refund. I've had trouble and issues with the bike since new. Also poor customer service.

The bank lean sensor may be battery related, faulty. If alarm fitted, it should also have uprated battery. Replaced my battery and resolved the display issues including lean angle. Mine is a Gen3 2015

Sorry to hear about this HP. I am surprised, I think this is the first case with the problems you describe. What problems have you had with AJ?

So after the bike software was updated two of the rider modes was not selectable (slick and user), the traction control was permanently deactivated, the quick shifter was not working properly. All they could do is apologise and told me they didn't know what was causing the issue and would have to investigate further. I feel my time and money has been a complete waste.

Reluctantly I've now got a demonstrator and AJ have my bike yet again for warranty reasons (3rd time this year). Took it back to Bowker several times last year :grumpy:.

So annoyed by this time I started losing it and told them they were taking the piss out of me. Bearing in mind the last time the bike had warranty repairs done (leaking valve stem seals) when delivered to my house the swing-arm was scratched and had indentation marks. I took it back for touching up (in my opinion I should have been offered a new swing-arm) but when collecting the bike was covered in concrete dust! They gave me the impression they don't really care.

The bike has had that many issues owning it has been mostly unpleasant.

So are you stuck with the bike or is there as option to get your money back after all this trouble?

Don't really know what to say other than I'm very sorry to hear of your bad ownership experience thus far.
I sincerely hope that this gets resolved one way or the other soon and that you can get back to enjoying your bike.

Oli

All I wanted from bmw was no hassle, and a reliable 100% working bike. But I just got grief and regret buying it. A sorry from bmw does not cut it. They owe me.

Hey, I register for an account to let you know I had the exact same issue in Seattle, Washington USA. It's an issue with the ISTA software on the dealers computer. They need to call the manufacturer and have them run some fix on ISTA and reflash the bike. Took about 5 days for my dealer to get it sorted.

Hey, I register for an account to let you know I had the exact same issue in Seattle, Washington USA. It's an issue with the ISTA software on the dealers computer. They need to call the manufacturer and have them run some fix on ISTA and reflash the bike. Took about 5 days for my dealer to get it sorted.
Thanks for letting me know about that Ducatijosh, do you still have yours?

I've had that many issues with mine and dealers customer service I've had enough of bmw to put me off for a lifetime. Time for a change. It's like a dealer decided they don't like me so after buying the bike they make my life really hard.

Jay, I don't think it's a case of just one issue for him, bikes been to 2 dealers and both dealers have let him down. Sounds like he lost faith in the bike.

same for me, just got rsv4rf.

the local dealers are shocking, you shouldnt have to travel 3 hours when there is a dealer 30mins and an other an hour away buy they are shite.

bmw uk don't give a crap in my experience

Hope your local Aprilia dealer is decent?! I know Wheels give lifetime guarantees on their new bikes. Some dealers are crap, but that can be the case whatever you ride, I changed BMW dealers due to disappointing service from the one i went too, I'm now using Pidcocks in Long Eaton who have proved to be excellent including sorting out a whole new rear shock assembly on my (now gone) GSA under warranty as the spring had chipped and gone rusty.

The reason I changed brands is

i took my mint gen 3 in for warranty check to a dealer, ended up having it serviced. They carried out a service wash with tfr or wheel acid. Left it out in the rain to try and hide it.

it took a massive kick off to get even a sorry, I paid ?400 to have 2 independent inspection done.

both saying bike was a write off, dealer still would do any thing about it, tried charging me storage chargers as I refused to take it back. Was with out a bike for 7months got paid out on their insurance.

mean while bmw uk didn't wanna know, not to me if bmw uk don't wanna know where go you with that one?

an other dealer tried selling me a one owner bike that was really 2 owners, and fobbed me off over warranty work on the one I bought and lied to me. Took it back to supplying dealer which I'd a day out and an other day out picking it up.

the bike was great couldn't fault it, but let done by dealers and bmw uk

So in April 2016 I test rode at Bowker Preston, the demo as I’ve always had great interest in the S1000RR. I agreed to buy one and spoke to salesman Andy (who has now left) putting deposit on the bike.

I did initially want the motorsport colours (which I was waiting for to be built and delivered), but I changed my mind a week later and chose the black one instead. This wasn't a problem. However discussing over the phone whether to have the black one in the showroom without cruise control or wait for another black one with cruise control to be delivered. I hadn't seen the one in the showroom, I asked if it is in perfect condition, I was reassured there was nothing wrong with it and so I agreed to buy that one over the phone. The bike was not at all in perfect condition.

1. When I signed all the paperwork I finally looked at the bike, I noticed a scratch on the front and mentioned it immediately. They reassured me they would sort it out. Scratch is still there today!

2. I arranged for the bike to be delivered in the morning to my parents address as I work full time. That was a complete cock up they got the delivery time wrong inconveniencing my mum who arranged to go out in the afternoon. So didn't have the bike until later on in the day.

3. When I checked the bike over I noticed another scratch on the tank which had excess polishing with buffed marks on the tank's paintwork, and the other scratch (on the front) was still visible where it had been attempted to be polished out too. (both scratches and buffed paint is now covered with protective stickers.

4. The forks were at a 2 - 3 mm different height from one another above the top yoke.

5. The chain tension was too tight (40mm slack), according to the owners manual chain should be 45-50mm with bike on the sidestand and no weight applied, so I had to slacken the chain off 5mm.

6. When I removed the seat to install a battery charger, one of the m5 screw's threads was cross threaded into the sub frame thread (I had to tap it out gently and use one of my own m5s). The sub frame has chip marks on both sides where the seat screws had completely missed the holes they thread into appears to be forced and screws chipped the sub frame. Bowker Motorrad did touch up the sub-frame scratches and replaced the m5 screw.

7. The negative lead that connects to the negative battery post was wrongly routed and twisted I corrected this when reconnecting the battery.

8. The bike veers to the right when I release the handle bars so I took it back complaining about everything that had happened mentioned, The mechanics outnumbered me and I felt intimidated by them, they denied any wrong doing on their part for most things. They blamed the camber of the road, the wind, over inflated tyres and took air out whilst warm. I know it wasn't any of these possibilities causing the bike to veer, and had to re-inflate the tyres when they were cold again! One mechanic even said I’ve had a stroke and sit on the bike crooked pulling the bike over! If they had just admitted the S1000RR does veer due to off centre of gravity especially with lighter riders, I would have accepted that without a problem..

9. Had a power run (for curiosity) done at an official tuning centre (nothing was altered), the rear wheel output was 174bhp. So I mentioned this also at Bowker but to be dismissed again and I had to insist to check for the reason of low power so they just did a plug in check with no problems electrically as a result. Allan Jefferies identified the motorcycle had leaking valve stem seals.

10. Having had a service done by Bowker BMW Preston they assured me the oil level will last until next service is due, after the service I checked the oil level myself according to the owners manual to my concern it was very low. Photo attached.

11. Now the motorcycle is "corrupted" after an attempted software update and once again I've found myself without my motorcycle which is in for repairs again.

12. I went to Allan Jefferies for an early service (due to low oil and my concerns of poor service provided by Bowker) and a chain replacement (chain had thrown an O-ring), they updated the bike's software, and provided a much better service.

Having had so much bother, money and time wasted with this motorcycle I have been pushed to my limit and am very frustrated and worried. It is a shame as I absolutely love these bikes and understand that any of this trouble I have had does not happen often. I am absolutely gutted it has forced me to go as far as to reject the motorcycle and I feel like never owning one again due to all the very bad experiences I've had.

I appreciate Bowker Motorrad in Preston is under new management and hope great improvements have been made.

Very disheartening to hear both jays and hploggers stories. while at the same time, quite worrying!

But I have to say, BMW seems very marmite in this regard.

I wish you both more reassuring and expected levels of service with whoever you choose next!

Got my bike back today. Fired it up and it was very smoky. Not entirely satisfied engine sounds like it's running 100%. [emoji17]

Latest posts

Back