Bike cut out at 70 mph and wont start

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toffeeboy

Reaction score
Went out today, did abput 40 miles no problems, stopped and when I went to start the bike it was having none of it, dash lights on, can shift modes but nothing happens when I hit the start button. After a quick web browse roadside, found a suggestion of taking the bike out of the sun and cooling the switch gear. Did this and 20 mins later hey presto it starts so I head for home, get 3 mile down the road and at 70mph the engine just dies, all lights remain lit up, starter wont work and can't bump start it. Stop at the roadside once more and after an hour of messing I concede defeat and have to call the recovery truck, ?100 lighter, bike still banjo'd and throughly hacked off with my 4000 mile 2011 bike.

So after my rant do people think this is switchgear related or something else, sensor maybe?

common fault with the switchgear loads have been replaced under warranty and some that have been out of warranty as a good will gesture of bmw

common fault with the switchgear loads have been replaced under warranty and some that have been out of warranty as a good will gesture of bmw

Do you know who you email at BMW to get this done under warranty, not only mega inconvenient but dangerous when it just cuts out at 70 mph on the motorway in bank holiday traffic

Do you know who you email at BMW to get this done under warranty, not only mega inconvenient but dangerous when it just cuts out at 70 mph on the motorway in bank holiday traffic

Your local dealer should do it foc if the switchgear is the issue.

From what you described about cooling the switch gear and it working for a bit, yes, that's exactly what it does with that fault. The cutting out later on, I don't know, but it would be logical that the kill switch has also packed up as it is part of the same assembly. A dealer will be able to check on the database if the switchgear has been changed if you're not the first owner.

Will contact my local dealer first thing tomorrow, I'm also going to contact BMW customer services as this is a pretty unsafe thing IMO for the bike to just die, surely some sort of safe/limp mode should be employed once the bike is running or am I missing something?

Hi,
As others have already suggested may well be the stop/start button,and its associated wiring.
My new 2014 packed up and required recovery for the same issue. Same symptoms. Bet they soon sort that one for you.

Good luck,

Dave

Hi,
As others have already suggested may well be the stop/start button,and its associated wiring.
My new 2014 packed up and required recovery for the same issue. Same symptoms. Bet they soon sort that one for you.

Good luck,

Dave

Sorry to hear that Dave, it's not what you expect from a bike at the dearer end of the market with the supposed German build quality.

Certainly spoiled my bank holiday!

Cheers

Rob

According to BMW this issue only effects 'a small number of BMWs sold' - not quite in line with the feedback I'm getting from S1000rr owners!!!!

Tell them your on the s1000rr forum and over half have had switchgear problems

I have told them about this forum and a substantial number have reported similar issues, the quickest I can get my bike collected by the dealer is the 15th April, over a week after I reported the failure then however long it takes them to fix it (parts etc) before I'm back on the road. Pretty poor tbh and I'm still over ?100 out of pocket as I needed the bike to be recovered from the roadside at my expense.

I sell premium hifi products for a living, if offered this sort of backup to my customers I wouldn't be in business for very long, mind you they do tend to use decent quality switches ;-)

Just had the same sort of response from my deal leaving the limiter on after the 1st service, ok if lived next door but I am over 70 miles away

Dean

When my 2010RR had the problem last July I had to wait 3 weeks to get the bike back on the road due to the shortage of switchgear.

Also, the recovery guy who attended said about 20% of the bikes he'd picked up over the summer had been BMWs with faulty switchgear....

According to BMW this issue only effects 'a small number of BMWs sold' - not quite in line with the feedback I'm getting from S1000rr owners!!!!

Its actually far worse than that. Bmw have had a problem with their third party supplier of switchgear components since 2008 at least. I think it was only in the last year or two the items were revised (new part numbers) and a new supplier sourced. And it is not a s1000rr issue exclusively. I have a bmw k1300 and that has had the same switchgear issues which has been common with k1300 owners for nearly 6 years now.

BMW customer services responses are very polite but toothless, they just pass the book to the dealer who seem fine but as they were not the supplying dealer have no real skin in the game. Really disappointed with the couldn't give a toss attitude from the manufacturer

Just an update to say it was the switch (no surprise there) dealer was really good sorting it out, can't say the same for BMW's response!

Nice to be back on the road for sure

Latest posts

Back