Arrow or Akrapovic End Can

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billo01

Reaction score
It's that time of year again when the bike is laid up more than it's out on the road and I have to start modifying messing about with the bike. It's a 2015 model.

I'm thinking of changing the end can and I'm split between these two, Arrow Ti Carbon Works 71823PK or the Akrapovic S-B10SO2-HRT Ti slip on.

The Arrow is a shorter length and about half the length of the Akra. The other difference of course is the cost. I was looking at Biohazard Cycles in the states as I've had stuff from them before so the Akra works out at about ?660 with delivery (without a hanger + import tax) and the Arrow about ?450 from B&C Express.

I know there isn't much performance to be gained, I'm just interested in the looks and sound. Could the performance be affected by the Arrow with it being shorter?

What are folks thoughts on here between these two end cans?

I have the Arrow can on my bike. Main reasons for choosing it were looks and price. I like short cans and I got mine from www.racingonestore.com in Italy for under ?360 (have a look on eBay). I haven't noticed any effect on performance. My only gripe with it is that the supplied mounting hardware is a bit naff. Simple solution is to use the original BMW clamp and bolts. It takes about 30 seconds to fit! My second choice would have been a second hand shortie Akra (2010-14 models) with a custom link pipe.

I have the arrow as well, I have no problems with it (over 3k kms on it). Looks really good and it's lighter than the original can (I think 6 pounds lighter, might be wrong here). I got it installed when I bought the bike. Sound volume is about the same as the original (I tried the original on the test drive bike), just deeper.

I also had the arrow full exhaust on my previous bike and again no problems.

Exhausts

I have fitted both an Arrow Works Titanium Slip-On Exhaust and an Akrapović HP Slip-On Exhaust to my 2015 S1000RR. Both are similar in terms of noise level to the standard OEM exhaust at idle but the tone is subtly different and lower pitched. With both exhausts fitted the popping is still there when decelerating on a closed throttle but the Akrapović exhaust is a little bit less pronounced. Both aftermarket exhausts also produce pretty similar static noise test results but the Akrapović is quieter overall particularly when at full throttle. If you do a lot of trackdays the Akrapović is the better option as whilst both exhausts pass static noise testing the Arrow is more susceptible to triggering the drive-by sound meter resulting in a black flag; which isn't great as you can not fit a baffle in it. The huge positive is that both slip-ons weigh significantly less than the standard exhaust. For me the popping and the banging of the standard exhaust does get a little tiresome after a while but thats just my opinion. I much prefer a quieter exhaust as being able to pass trackday noise testing is far more important and I'm not overly concerned about aesthetics as for me function is always better than form. I have also purchased the optional Akrapović removable baffle for trackdays at Donington Park where at times the noise limits are even stricter than those at the MSV circuits. The build quality the Akrapović exhaust is better and every part of it, including the supplied link pipe, is made from Titanium. Likewise the bike runs more smoothly with the Akrapović slip-on fitted which is unsurprising really given that it is an official BMW accessory. That said the Arrow exhaust is perhaps better value for money as it is cheaper but you can purchase the Akrapović HP slip-on from KFM-Motorr?der for significantly less than what you would do from a BMW dealership. With hindsight, having owned both exhausts, I would opt for the Akrapović slip-on.

P1020848_zps53y9sirp.jpg

P1020648_zpsn6yvvzey.jpg

It's that time of year again when the bike is laid up more than it's out on the road and I have to start modifying messing about with the bike. It's a 2015 model.

I'm thinking of changing the end can and I'm split between these two, Arrow Ti Carbon Works 71823PK or the Akrapovic S-B10SO2-HRT Ti slip on.

The Arrow is a shorter length and about half the length of the Akra. The other difference of course is the cost. I was looking at Biohazard Cycles in the states as I've had stuff from them before so the Akra works out at about ?660 with delivery (without a hanger + import tax) and the Arrow about ?450 from B&C Express.

I know there isn't much performance to be gained, I'm just interested in the looks and sound. Could the performance be affected by the Arrow with it being shorter?

What are folks thoughts on here between these two end cans?

Have you considered an Austin Racing can if your main criteria are looks and sound? AR will give you a bit of discount if you call and speak to them nicely :joyous:, not the cheapest option although less money than an Akra, but very light and beautifully made. My GP1 (see pic) isn't stamped road legal but sounds fantastic while only being marginally noisier than standard with the baffle in

Mine is going in to Powertech exhausts to have a link pipe made so can fit the 2014 short stubby Akro so will let you know how I get on.

Dean

Thanks all for the comments and the pictures so far. Some tasty looking cans and they all look good which doesn't help my dilema. I've put in a request form into KFM-Motorr?der (thanks RyS1000RR) so see what they come back with cost wise then take it from there. I'am more swayed towards the Akra tbh so we'll see.

Out of interest RyS1000RR are the bolts to secure the Akrapovic hanger to the subframe supplied with the kit and the support bracket on the Gilles rear set, this comes off? Your photos Arrow to Akrapovic

Been following this with interest as I have taken a dislike to the Akrapovic that came fitted on my bike, i like the idea of having a quiet can for them days when I don't want any attention but I bought the S1000RR because I am a tart and like a bit of noise now and again :D

Mine has a HP4 system (or at least the full Akrapovic titanium system and can that is found on the HP4) and the first thing I noticed even with the baffle out it is definitely designed to be road legal and keep the noise to the minimum, certainly not what I would call loud in comparison to the street legal Akras that I had on my RSV1000's :)

I was a bit limited as to what I could throw at it considering it is an Akrapovic system and I did look at the Austin Racing ones as well as finding the Racefit Black Edition too but that just looked a bit unfinished and dustbin in appearence (it looks like small kids could get stuck in it!!! :D )

So I opted for the what I am led to believe is ridiculously noisy SC Project CRT can (I say can as it looks to be the size of can of beer ffs! :D ).

Billo, I have just bought an Akrapiovic hanger from Calsport and mine didn't come with any bolts, can't help you with the Gilles rearsets question as I have the ones for the 2014 model :)

Mick - I am pleased I don't live next to you.

I am fortunate that i have good neighbours and i live right next to the A1 but in fairness i am quite considerate too and make sure the arse end of the bikes are pointing away from the house and I don't leave them running for long before I am away nor do i tend to go out at too early a time :)

But the noisy can will just be for special occasions :D

Nice one loupe, you like?
Certainly much better looking than the standard wing. I only had it running for a few mins and put it away for the winter.
Its not much louder on idle but will wait till spring to hear it on song.
Im bored already :blue:

Had my GP1 fitted since May and have enjoyed a whole season of an edgier but not noisy exhaust note and pleasantly enhanced pops and bangs, cant recommend the AR cans enough, yeah struggling to get out on the RR, but the GSA getting a good run on Sunday :smile-new:

I am fortunate that i have good neighbours and i live right next to the A1 but in fairness i am quite considerate too and make sure the arse end of the bikes are pointing away from the house and I don't leave them running for long before I am away nor do i tend to go out at too early a time :)

But the noisy can will just be for special occasions :D

You do right mick. I once lived next to a guy who was the opposite of you!

Certainly much better looking than the standard wing. I only had it running for a few mins and put it away for the winter.
Its not much louder on idle but will wait till spring to hear it on song.
Im bored already :blue:

Next week might be ok.......

Exhausts

Out of interest RyS1000RR are the bolts to secure the Akrapovic hanger to the subframe supplied with the kit and the support bracket on the Gilles rear set, this comes off? Your photos Arrow to Akrapovic

You need to order the bolts (07 12 9 907 381) directly from BMW or KFM for the Akrapović exhaust hanger as they do not come supplied. The HP Rearsets come with an additional spacer which allows you to remove the bracket on the right rearset when fitting an exhaust or full system which utilises a hanger from the rear subframe.

Back