Annoying insurance woes...& 2010 - 2012 s1000

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMilsey

Reaction score
So, I currently have a Suzuki GSXR 1000 K5 & this year I planned on upgrading to an S1000RR 2015 but upon checking insurance everyone wants over ?1000 a year. I pay ?170 on the GSXR.

So I'm gutted. No way I'm paying ?1000.

I thought I would check the older models & thought about maybe a HP4...?800.... shit.

BUT the gen 1 is ?300 a year.

So my question is will the gen 1 be a good buy for me? I've heard a few reliability issues? Is this all smoke & mirrors?

Or should I be looking at other options. I've realized any new sports bike (1000cc) is killer on insurance. Anything sub 2012 seems fine, bizarrely.

I'm 25, riding 4 years, 3 years NCB.

Cheers, Dave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Dave, I think the premium difference between the MY bikes is predominantly the value of the bike. The pre 12 bikes are the 1st gen s1000rr. The 2012 2nd gen was a tweaked bike with a few subtle differences over the original. The 2015 3rd gen was a significant change. Reliability on the 1st gen... like anything if it's been looked after and serviced by a good dealer then I would not expect you to have big issues. Sump corrosion and switch gear on the bars were the most common issue which hasn't exactly gone away with the later bikes. So the 1st gen might be a nice move into BMW ownership with a view to upgrading when your premiums come down over time?

Hi Dave, I think the premium difference between the MY bikes is predominantly the value of the bike. The pre 12 bikes are the 1st gen s1000rr. The 2012 2nd gen was a tweaked bike with a few subtle differences over the original. The 2015 3rd gen was a significant change. Reliability on the 1st gen... like anything if it's been looked after and serviced by a good dealer then I would not expect you to have big issues. Sump corrosion and switch gear on the bars were the most common issue which hasn't exactly gone away with the later bikes. So the 1st gen might be a nice move into BMW ownership with a view to upgrading when your premiums come down over time?

Yeah true enough. So frustrating I can't have the bike I want because of insurance.

I would be after a sub 10k and mint example with full dealer service history so I would hope I wouldn't have problems.

I've heard about engine & gear box problems on the gen 1 though even within warrantee.

Yeah true enough. So frustrating I can't have the bike I want because of insurance.

I would be after a sub 10k and mint example with full dealer service history so I would hope I wouldn't have problems.

I've heard about engine & gear box problems on the gen 1 though even within warrantee.

Going down the dealer route is something I would do for piece of mind for sure. There are always 'Friday afternoon' bikes, we've had a few 3rd gen ones on here already, but overall most owners have a good experience regardless of the MY they buy. Whereabouts are you based / looking to buy?

sorry to hear about your insurance problems Davy it can be a nightmare , I really wouldn't worry about reliability issues these are solid bikes , I have a 2011 and it's been spot on nearly done 10.000 miles on it no issues.

Cheers gents. That is reassuring. I know in the back of my mind that jap bikes would be a safer option but no where near as nice.

I am in the midlands for reference but will travel for the right bike as I only buy mint.

There are a few good dealers around which we have a relationship with you could try:

Lind in Norwich and Alan Jeffries in Shipley are both forum BMW dealership vendors so they should look after you if you mention you are a forum member. Further info about them is on the vendor section. I will add that we get nothing out of it, it's just about helping each other out getting deals for members. It's a good time of year to be buying, there will be trade ins arriving for the next plate change and model revisions.

Dave have you tried Bemoto insurance? I've been with Bennetts/MCE for years but just changed to Bemoto....they're the most relaxed biker friendly company i've ever come across! Defo worth a try ;)

When doing a quotation online and there's a part for including security devices, does the BM have a factory fitted immobilizer? It's a 2015 model I'm asking about.

Cheers

OP / DMilsey
Did you have any luck in sorting out insurance?
Did you find the correct solution to your biking situation?

I'm 24 with 6 years NCB & it was a nightmare for me. I found that a HP4 Carbon would of been ?600 a year fully comp though 🙈

My issue as BeMoto told me was the value of the bike being the biggest factor for 15/16's (except the hp4 carbon fluke).

However Matt absolutely smashed my previous provider MCE and I'm now Im with Axa for commuting too

Nope I'm still stuck.

Currently still using my k5 GSXR 1000 but itching for a new bike.

Can't justify going from 200 per year to 1000 per year for s1000 at the moment [emoji20].

So original options still stand 7-8k bike - but I can't find one to the spec I want.

At 27 with 2NCB I paid ?640 which I thought was extortionate but I'd put a deposit down and agreed a sale on my Ninja so decided not to back out, not regretted it!
I'll renew in April and should come down to a decent bit below ?400 hopefully. I've got a low ?200 excess and fully comp with most of the extra bits too so decent cover.

I have had my license since 17 but had a gap in between bikes so lost my NCB.

I'm 25 with 3 years NCB, 2011 ?8,500 value s1000rr and I paid ?720 Fully Comp with - The Bike insurer I believe. I thought that was reasonable.

I'm 25 with 3 years NCB, 2011 ?8,500 value s1000rr and I paid ?720 Fully Comp with - The Bike insurer I believe. I thought that was reasonable.

21 with no no claims and 3 points I pay ?1800 fully comp for a 2015 model

Latest posts

Back