Anglesey 13th-14th April 2016 - James Whitham Track Training Day

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I too am doing Jim Whitham days in April, like Soof, but decided to spend my birthday on track in Anglesey and have the better half join me in Bangor straight after day 2.

Let me know if you too are coming to either day - I'm doing both days to really ram it home, and to enjoy Anglesey for the first time - not really done any track tuition like this so it will be a good way to start the season.

It's ?185 a day, which is pretty good for this kind of tuition IMO.
I'm staying in Bangor from late Tuesday night.

http://www.jameswhitham.com/tracks/...date=1460588400&event_id=8251#book-your-event

The Croft one may be easier to get to for you, April 21st, Soofsayer is there. But it would be cool to have some club members on the 13/14th in Wales :)

Hi thank you for booking the track training days this week at Anglesey Circuit.
Just to let you all know the coaches for the first day are James Whitham, Steve Brogan and Taylor Mackenzie. Unfortunately James can not be there for the second day as it is the Press launch of the TT which he is hosting. Richard Cooper is helping out on the second day with Steve and Taylor to fill in. Our Honda coaches Dan Linfoot and Jenny Tinmouth are away testing and the other regulars Davo Johnson and Ian Hutchinson are at the TT launch.
The numbers so far are low with 28 booked for the first day and 25 for the second day so you will have an almost empty track and plenty of individual feedback from the coaches. If you have any friends who would like to come they can book online until Tuesday lunchtime or can turn up and pay cash on the day with prior agreement with me (my number is 07960477341).
The cafe will be open for lunch and the bar will be open for a couple of hours between 7pm and 10pm for those of you doing both days. Camping is free at the circuit, electric hook ups and showers will be available. There will be plenty of garage space so no need for generators, gazebos etc. There is no fuel or tyre service at the circuit. The nearest fuel is about 5 miles away.
The weather forecast is currently looking pretty good.
I look forward to meeting you all on Wednesday please be at the circuit ready to sign on at 0815.
Yours Paul Drinkwater (Organiser)

2 days of Anglesey with ~25 others this should net some results/knackered tyres!

Glorious weather. Shame more folks aren't here. Massively under subscribed. I'm in a group of 8!

There are spaces free tomorrow

Quick review of the two days for those that are interested in tuition days.

TL,DR; Low numbers, lots of space on track, 1 tutor (BSB Racer) per group, very relaxed.

In preparation I decided to fit the cast wheels back on the RR with their well bedded in ContiSportAttack2's rather than go with the forged Titax with Metzeler RR's due to the risk of rain in Wales.

I started out on Tuesday afternoon - headed up to a nice B&B in Bangor (Ashbrook) - 6hrs of M40, M6 Toll, M54, A5/55 - mainly dull, the 'highlight' being finding out the HID light had decided to not fire up after the final fuel stop - came out of the street lit part of the A55 into darkness lol - whoops.

Day 1 (Weds): So, this was the first event of the year from the James Whitham Team. And there were cobwebs that needed clearing, hopefully communication will get better for Croft. Briefing was the usual, with only ~34 people in attendance and 3 groups, you could pick and choose which group to be in. I chose the novice group, I wanted to breakdown what I was doing wrong and rebuild the confidence I was missing with better technique. The only other bikes that had ridden to the event were in it also. We had 9 in Novice. Steve Brogan the ex-BSB Superbiker. The 'Coastal' Anglesey track goes down the Corkscrew rather than using the inland hairpin. It's about a ~90sec lap (for me) so you cover the same corners a lot during the 7x20 minute sessions, when the session is over you go back in and debrief with your tutor. He floated around the first couple of sessions and made sure he picked up everyone and watched them. Then after that it was up to you to ask him to watch you and run with you, showing you lines and body position. I actually got him to work with me on my bike in the pits. Sitting on the bike and trying to get the body positions right. Bit by bit, I improved and felt the corner speed and confidence improving as I moved about the bike better. As the afternoon wore on I just realised that my fitness for quick laps is limited, especially where you've got flip-flop-flip which really needs quad strength - I must get to the gym to improve more on the bike. End of the day: technique improved, more comfortable in certain corners...body, f**ked.

Day 2 (Thurs): Lots of new faces, less people than I expected booked both days. Same as before, same tutor, iterative improvement, but I'd not really recovered physically. So whilst my pace was lower that ultimate, I just tried to keep re-doing the body position drills. Talking it over with the tutor. Having a second day was mainly of use to try to ram home the changes I needed to make to my riding. Having the same track, same conditions (glorious sunshine) let me concentrate and I feel that I got a lot of time to just understand the physics in play and how you adjust them with weight. There were still only 9 people on track with me, so space was easy to find and you could do really experiment without fear of someone bombing you.

Ride home: On Friday I took 10hrs to return to London, you can appreciate after these 4 days how broken I was upon getting home! The last three hours were a slog, on a wet M4. But before that I'd started by dropping through Snowdonia and toured some nice minor roads. The highlight of these was the B4391 from Ffestiniog to Bala before going for the A483 run from Newtown to Crossgates. I couldn't really hustle cause the roads were either damp or soaked even where there was no actual rainfall now. But it was good to enjoy some winding tarmac and test out my new found body position knowledge. I must go back and tour the rest/revisit some of these roads! But if I return to Anglesey I'm taking a Van, it's too much distance to be fresh the next day to make the most of the time on track.

Overall the JW days gave me huge amounts of track time and space on track, with a trainer who was very keen to pass on his advice. Worth the extra cost over a normal trackday...

sounds like a great couple of days and good to pickup advice from the pros .... that's a fair ride to the track and back alex, hats off to you mate, van sounds like the way forward, I will definitely be using one on my next trackday and I only have an hour to travel!

Last edited:
The track days were spot on. The ride up and down definitely not so. I had to attend a wedding yesterday, otherwise I'd have been coming home on Sunday. Meh...not a bad birthday present to myself all in :)

Glad you had a good trip Alex. I stayed near Bala in October and did those roads which are epic in the dry.

I'm certainly looking forward to Thursday at Croft. I have been working hard in the gym specifically on fitness for the bike since November and it's paying off on rides out so hopefully I'll get the max out of the day.

Couple of pictures...

ab4f4de5f02932cc00cc8615e5598ddd_zpsfnd1oahw.jpg

991128bbce9af9f5ae5c9645ea882a20_zpsjm5xv8tl.jpg

Back