Alex - 2017 S1000RR - Grey/Black

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I wouldn't bother. R&G model is less of a PITA to take on and off. I had to quickly replace all the bolts they came with as the tore up.

I had them already, with Blue inserts. It was ?25 for the Grey coloured replacements! No man maths can justify that.

- Sent from Mobile

Akrapovič

It looks like your Akrapovič system survived the lowside fairly unscathed which is good. I had to replace the exhaust on mine and the link pipe still has a few scruffs on it where it made contact with the tarmac. It's only aesthetic so I've just left it as it is especially as a replacement costs around ?480 for the titanium version.

At MCT...

Fork Legs coming out
3c35454151d1f71bfd66d0a6383647ed.jpg

Spring finish is, industrial to say the least. I'd expect a proper seating flat end not that.
9.5 ish and 11.5 ish springs in the 17 forks, like the 15/16 before. I say ish as there's real variation 11.1-11.5 has been seen by MCT.
048ef0dd569ad6445cd3aabae3219082.jpg

- Sent from Mobile

I popped to the cafe for my breakfast whilst he worked his magic poor form I know, missed out on the shiny new bits.

Things I learned, some known - stock setup;

• Springs don't have a nice flat perch (not a major issue) and can vary in stiffness out of the factory by a margin of .5.
  • The two springs are 9.5NM & 11.0-11.5NM respectively.
  • Oil Weight is 7.5w
  • Air gap 70-80mm in one leg and 105mm in the other.
  • Travel of the fork bottoms at 8mm from the end of the fork leg.
  • No Preload out of the factory.

How things are now;
  • Steering Damper on 9 out from max..so pretty much off.
  • 2x 10NM Springs
  • Oil weight 7.5
  • Oil level/Air gap 100mm in both.
  • 6 turns of Preload
  • Static Sag 28mm
  • Fork Height, 1st groove.
  • MCT Spec Custom Preload Spacer.
  • Rear Spring was left as is for my weight
  • 2 turns of preload
  • 12-14mm of static sag
  • DDC tuned for the different modes, not actually checked them yet in the menu.

Last edited:
Verdict; I only really bombed down the A12 for the ride home so it wasn't much of a handling test. But the bike does feel stable and easy to turn, changing direction is quick and light. It's not night and day (as it is for some) as I think that overall I am not that far off the weight of the standard BMW rider. But it's pleasingly, reassuringly, plush and predictable in Sport mode. Firms up nicely in RACE. Looking forward to Cadwell in June to try it out on track, will try to get some decent road miles in before then.

ODO is on 1100 so far...

In other news;

• That exhaust is loud and my god does it pop and bang every time you shut the throttle. I have to say, around town its a bit of a nuisance. I do have the baffle, I may fit it.
  • At 3700-3800 there's just a ridiculous amount of buzz + resonance from the exhaust. It's quite uncomfortable. Again the baffle may fix the latter, as well a remap may influence it too. But I am curious if mine is a little too buzzy. I may have to test out the heavy bar ends before too long.
  • Right turn assist - it's gone, or very very slight. I have made sure of the wheel alignment and removed the heavy end can.

EDIT: Sept 2017 - The baffle makes a huge difference to the pops and bangs, far more civilised.

Last edited:
Great report Alex, have been considering paying MCT a visit for quite some time now as there's only good feedback on here.

Re the exhaust, it does transmit quite a lot of resonance through the subframe at parts of the rev range, so I suspect it's just a feature. Personally, I much prefer it over stock as I don't get anywhere near as much vibration through the right rearset.

Popping and banging, yea it's very loud, although can be substantially reduced if you block or remove the SAS system.

Oli

Verdict; I only really bombed down the A12 for the ride home so it wasn't much of a handling test. But the bike does feel stable and easy to turn, changing direction is quick and light. It's not night and day (as it is for some) as I think that overall I am not that far off the weight of the standard BMW rider. But it's pleasingly, reassuringly, plush and predictable in Sport mode. Firms up nicely in RACE. Looking forward to Cadwell in June to try it out on track, will try to get some decent road miles in before then.

ODO is on 1100 so far...

In other news;

• That exhaust is loud and my god does it pop and bang every time you shut the throttle. I have to say, around town its a bit of a nuisance. I do have the baffle, I may fit it.
  • At 3700-3800 there's just a ridiculous amount of buzz + resonance from the exhaust. It's quite uncomfortable. Again the baffle may fix the latter, as well a remap may influence it too. But I am curious if mine is a little too buzzy. I may have to test out the heavy bar ends before too long.
  • Right turn assist - it's gone, or very very slight. I have made sure of the wheel alignment and removed the heavy end can.

Great report.

So, are we thinking RTA is associated with the standard exhaust if yours has gone?

Cheers

SAS - good point will look into that.
Certain parts of the rev-range induce different impacts; from subframe/backside buzzing to finger tips (quite harsh). I'm sure a lot of these harmonics tunable. And I can make the engine smoother with remap (Rapid Bike/Bazzaz/whatever). I know many '17 owners are not buzzing like I am (and was pre-exhaust change). Which means it's tolerances/torque/adjustment or the use of brake/clutch lever guards.

Could someone weigh the bar end off of a 2015/2016 please? I'm going to weigh my 2017 version.

RTA is largely down to the weight of the can IMO. But I can't rule out the alignment of the rear axle.

Last edited:
Might be worthwhile checking the engine mount bolts are correctly torqued, or getting the dealer to check on its next visit to them?

Yeah...I'm think every thing connected to it needs cracking off to loosen then retorquing

- Sent from Mobile

I was going to weigh them but I think I might have put them in my storage unit - 1hr away...

Secondary Air System

If you do remove the Secondary Air System you will first need to completely remove the fuel tank to access it. Linked below are the two (airbox and valve) covers that need fitting in its place. It's only really worth doing for race/track use when the system is completely redundant and not needed. The only benefit is the A-F ratio will be more accurate when the bike is on a Dyno as the airbox and valve openings are completely sealed rather than the piping just being clamped. It also significantly reduces the amount of popping and banging on a closed throttle when decelerating. For me this is only a good thing as I find the noise gets particularly tiresome after a while.

https://shop.alpharacing.com/shop/i...cts_id=10550&zenid=aajkbhbgqk6ecmmdnuff9gmaa3
https://shop.alpharacing.com/shop/i...cts_id=10565&zenid=aajkbhbgqk6ecmmdnuff9gmaa3

MCT Suspension

* 2x 10NM Springs
* Oil weight 7.5
* Oil level/Air gap 100mm in both.
* Fork Height, 1st groove.
* MCT Spec Custom Preload Spacer.

MCT made very similar changes to mine albeit with lighter front fork springs. The result was it transformed the bike on track.

I think the HP lever guard is possibly contributing to the vibration issue in the clipon, as it appears to be a lighter bar end weight on the right hand side vs a standard OEM weight (?).

Re fuel module, it might smooth out power delivery, but in my experience with that exhaust and a custom mapped PCV I didn't see any affect on vibration or bottom end smoothness.
If there are indeed excess vibration issues, I suspect bolts will need to be torque checked

They are matching, Gilles, clutch and brake guards. They helped the Gen2. But certainly they may have to go unless I can work out a solution. The exhaust itself might need reseating post crash!

- Sent from Mobile

Ah my apologies, I didn't realise you have both clutch and brake guards. Still, it might be worth checking if they are lighter than the OEM end weights.
My experience on a 15 with both OEM weights and Positive Vibes bar ends is that the right hand side is buzzer then the left.

Re fuelling/ignition and and NVH, I suspect it's mainly ignition timing which will affect this. My PCV map only alters the fuelling and saw no changes with NVH.

I hope that you see some improvements with NVH soon, either through increased mileage, bolt torque, or a custom fuelling/ignition map.

Will you be going down the fuel module route, or an ECU flash, or both?

Oli

Back