Advice needed, gearbox gone!!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trikbits

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well had the bike for a year and a month and guess what gearbox shagged or so BMW tell me. Lost 5th and 6th gears on a ride last week.
BMW saying that its maybe the HM quick shifter that caused the problem.
The guys say that a pin has snapped off the selector drum causing the gears to fail and has now fallen to the bottom of the engine. They say that this will be covered under warranty but if it has bent any of the selector forks that wont as they have not seen a failure like this before and put it down to QS?
Can they really be this specific by covering one issue under warranty but not the other.
Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue like this and after a bit of advice.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Joe

I would argue like fuck about it , they would have to prove which failed first in my opinion.
Since the selector shaft is already a known common issue , on the bikes . ( Buildbase used to change every race a few seasons ago).
I would also seriously question the " We've never seen this before bollocks" , suggest on the forum there's a few people who suffered the same issue.
Hoppers bike had a similar issue i thought , ( they replaced it)
search the board , and dont accept all the liability if any

good luck

Had a similar problem with my gearbox when racing in portimao. Few blind shifts And the problem is as for my issue : STAR SELECTOR and SELECTOR ROD as fatbob mention racing teams change them few Times a season). So just in case I decide to change them.

Thanks for the advice fatbob.
I did argue the fact and it seems to have paid off, bike fixed and ready to pick up.
Credit where due to the boys at Dick Lovett They have been really good just a shame that BMW are arkward.

Ride safe guys

Cheers

Joe

Latest posts

Back