Adjustable swing arm pivot.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauly

Reaction score
What effect does adjusting this have, that wouldn't be covered by the ride height adjuster?

Adjusting the wheelbase for different chains, and will affect the the handling for sure, I never touched mine as I stuck to std chain length.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I had my Gen 4 set up by the famous Perry ex HM, he said I should lengthen the wheelbase 10mm for big changes in stability... not really got used to the bike yet, might think about it later

Adjustable Swingarm Pivot

If you adjust the swingarm pivot you will be making some fundamental changes to the bike?s geometry which are way beyond just changing wheelbase and ride height. Put simply you can change the pivot position to change the way the bike behaves under acceleration among other things. Making changes will also impact on a host of other variables so proceed with caution unless you have a good understanding of suspension and chassis geometry. You will also need a set of footrest stands (and preferably fixed pegs) so there is no load on the swingarm when making adjustments. It?s a useful feature to aid race bike setup.

I did think it was probably only there so race teams could make use of it. Seemed a bit odd it was originally part of the M package, that was later fitted to the Sport as well though. My old K6 1000 turned in much better, when I dropped the yokes 10mm and fitted a 5mm spacer on top of the rear shock. Factory settings on the BMW feel pretty good to me on the road though.

I did think it was probably only there so race teams could make use of it. Seemed a bit odd it was originally part of the M package, that was later fitted to the Sport as well though. My old K6 1000 turned in much better, when I dropped the yokes 10mm and fitted a 5mm spacer on top of the rear shock. Factory settings on the BMW feel pretty good to me on the road though.

Modern bikes have gone the opposite way to front down / back up geometry changes - quite often now it's now up at the front, down at the back and long in the wheelbase.

Modern bikes have gone the opposite way to front down / back up geometry changes - quite often now it's now up at the front, down at the back and long in the wheelbase.

I believe that's more for stability and drive out the turns. I'd just be happy for it to turn

I had a 99 R1 that I'd changed the forks and shock on, before I bought a new K6. Everyone was raving about the K6, but out of the crate it ran wide in faster turns.

I believe that's more for stability and drive out the turns. I'd just be happy for it to turn

My Gen 3 certainly turned "nicer" with the bike set up this way both on the road and on the track although I found out the hard way that you can go too far. I bought a KTech shock that had come off Lee Jackson's bike and the piston rod spacer and the lower fork had been shortened to allow the back end to be lowered even further and I struggled to turn the bike - had to add about 5mm of rear ride height before I was happy.(still lower than standard but the shock is now only 3mm shorter than stock)

i had the alpha tool for my gen3, very well made, used it a couple of times, but tbh its more suspension set up than geometry that i find more beneficial,so sold it to a team :) (came in a parts bag i got with the bike)

Adjustable Swingarm Pivot

i had the alpha tool for my gen3, very well made, used it a couple of times, but tbh its more suspension set up than geometry that i find more beneficial,so sold it to a team :) (came in a parts bag i got with the bike)

I normally just borrow one when I need it. I just removed the DDC on mine and the alpha Racing tool was used as part of the setup process (including geometry changes) for the new suspension. I agree with you though as I also get far more from just making changes to the suspension rather than worrying about geometry as it can create far more hassle than it?s worth.

didn't realise he had moved.

He told me that HM Racing have shifted away from road bike support to focus only on racing, giving him less to do, hence the move. He still does stuff for them and when he was working on my bike he actually called them at Knockhill BSB to check some details (possibly the best wheelbase for stability, I forget).

Latest posts

Back