Accuracy of Speedo

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregR

Reaction score
Just bought a new Garmin Zumo 590 which I've tried out to get used to it on my 2014 1000rr and I was suprised to see the bike speedo reads about 5-6mph fast, anyone found the same and if so has anyone done anything about it? I've looked on the Healtech electronics website and there doesn't seem to be a speedohealer available any advice?

As Stevie says, it's normal, to a point. My speedo is nearer 5% off compared to the Garmin when I'm travelling at speeds where it matters. I'd get mine checked next time it was due a service and possibly re calibrated if it was nearer 10%, you'll be covered under warranty.

as people say it's normal.manufacturers always calibrate them so they overead.stops them from getting sued when you get done for speeding.....and covers variance in manufacture.got told years ago that german car manufacturers made more "accurate" speedos than the japanese.the japanese always erred on the side of caution whereas the germans prided themselves on accuracy.don't know if there is any truth to that though.

Speedos by law are not allowed to under read, the tollerance is always on the plus side for saftey

I know that generally speedos will 'over read' but in this day and age and the fact that all speedos are electronic there's no reason why the speedo on any bike in standard trim shouldn't be spot on.
In the days of cable drive and speedos full of plastic cogs in was understandable that a speedo wasn't so accurate, there are no technical reasons why a speedo shouldn't be more accurate. My wifes 2003 Citroen with a digital speedo was only +1mph and my 2002 Mazda is only about +2.
I'm not too bothered about it, it also bugs me that the speedo can't be switched to kmph like all the jap bikes but I'm not gonna let that spoil my enjoyment of my rr

all speedos have to be out by about the same amount (normaly -10% + or - ) or all different vehicles would be traveling at different speeds...you can see this on motorways in speed restricted areas...the ones with sat navs are usually traveling faster.no point asking for it to be sorted under warranty as the new one will be the same. You could fit a speedo healer and adjust it yourself but there's no point as you will be riding at a different speed to everyone else. I think its done on purpose to keep everyone's speeds lower but as a bike rider it makes no difference to me and I don't mind riding slightly slower in lower speed limits.

Last edited:
it also bugs me that the speedo can't be switched to kmph like all the jap bikes but I'm not gonna let that spoil my enjoyment of my rr

I think you'll find your dealer can change it to kph.My old bike was reading kph and my dealer changed it to mph.

Back