A quick hello

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick753

Reaction score
Just thought I would say hello seeing as I have just joined and paid to become a premium member, hoping to glean as much as there needs to be know about the S1000RR given that I have just taken the plunge and bought my first BMW.

Have to say I didn't have the best of experiences on my first try at buying from a BMW dealer but was more than pleasantly surprised when my second attempt at a different dealer went like a dream.

Haven't taken delivery of her yet but will be doing so in the next couple of weeks and then she is likely to sit in the garage for a couple of months, or at least until the weather in Scotland improves to the point that it's worth getting her out.

Anyway, looking forward to picking the brains of people on here as and when the need arises.

Mick

Hi Mick, welcome to the forum. I'll bet you get out on your bike before I do.

Hiya Mick, welcome to the forum. Come on then whose the worst Scottish dealer? Where are you getting your new bike from?

JimmyMac

Hello. Dealers come in all flavours, pleased you found a good un.

What year/spec did you buy?

Hi Mick, its a small world!!

Minute it would seem Malky!!! :peaceful:

I am not going to mention which dealer i feel let down by purely because it was down to nothing more than a bit of hasty profiteering that messed me about really.

I went in to buy a BMW approved used 2014 S1000RR Sport which was at a dealer down South, my initial questions was would it be possible for me to buy it through their dealership, I was told no but have since found that anything is possible with a phone call between dealerships if a deal can be struck.

Having been told it wasn't possible my attention was turned toward a brand new S1000RR that had some fancy stuff added to it but to me it amounted to nothing more than an expensive paint job and at ?19K was more than I wanted to spend really on something that was essentially a dressed up S1000RR Sport.

I was immediately turned towards a particularly nice HP4 Carbon that one of their long term customers had recently bought from them and this is where things went downhill.

I think (and i am fairly confident given that i have spoken to the owner of the bike) that they obviously saw a quick profit by acting as the middle man on a deal for me to buy this guys HP4 Carbon, the problem was they hadn't actually discussed a price and got a definite answer and so i was left to wait until an agreement had been reached, given that it was going to take a little longer I had the opportunity to sell my two bikes that I was going to part exchange and use as a deposit. In doing so I made more money than they were going to give me but not much as I was pushed for time to shift them before the next bike got bought.

Anyway the deal dragged on a bit to the point that I ended up having to actually contact the owner myself through Facebook because they hadn't bothered, both my bikes having now been sold. He decided he did not want to sell having bought the bike as an investment and in the 4 months he had owned it he had spent a further ?2K on even more stuff for it, the bike is a complete work of art and as a 2 year old bike is absolutely immaculate, no wonder he wanted to keep it.

However he told me that he wasn't happy that they had offered him what he paid for the bike 4 months earlier particularly as a long term customer and given that they were basically putting it through the workshop and selling it straight back on to me, naturally at this point he told me they were offering him ?15K

The problem was they told him that I was paying ?16500 for it, when in actual fact I was paying ?17K and they told me they were only making ?500 out of the deal. So both of us were waffled to.

So going full circle I contacted Chester Motorrad who have been nothing short of fantastic from the first guy I spoke to when I rang them, to the Sales Manager who couldn't do enough for me and given that it was his bike it has had some perks of the job thrown at it too! :peaceful:

This particular bike has got a full HP4 Akrapovic titanium system, HP4 levers and rearsets and quite a bit of BMW carbon already on it as well as the alarm and heated grips and has only covered 4K miles.

I rarely get excited about much but this bike sat up and screamed at me the first time I saw it and I am glad I ended up buying it because as much as the HP4 Carbon was one of the best looking bikes I have seen, it would have had at least 15K miles put on it over the next few years which would have lowered it's price somewhat as an investment :peaceful:

All's well that ends well

Hi Mick sorry to hear about your negative experience, had a bit of that in the past my self , glad you found a good dealer and a great bike , hope you love it , I have a 2011 and it's the best bike I have owned , like the profile picture my brother has a RSV4 which I am lucky enough to borrow from time to time absolutely love it , is the pic at knockhill buy any chance? done a good few track days mostly through ducati glasgow , love the we place , do you ride it for lap times or fun lol , I have tried both fun is better , crashed the RR going for lap times doh.....

David

David, that is indeed Knockhill.

That is one of the bikes I sold to pay for the S1000RR I've bought, it's a genuine Haga replica and whilst I used to do trackdays practically every month it was my first track day in about 7 years and my first time at Knockhill. That started out as fun but the only place I could get at very short notice was in the novice group and it was a bit unpredictable to say the least but I started chasing lap times once I got used to the circuit, it's always the way! :peaceful:

Hi Mick, you don't have to mention the dealer by name, I know who they are by the bikes you mention. They lost the sale of my HP4 Carbon a couple of years back with an attitude that frankly left me speechless. I also bought mine down south at Williams in Manchester 2 days later getting ?500 worth of accessories and a KFC without haggling for either.
I am in business to make money but honesty is a quality I value highly and expect it from those I deal with, lies will always come back and catch you out.
Anyway, enjoy your bike and if you were a colleague of Malkys our paths might have already crossed?

JimmyMac

Not a colleague as such, I have known Malky for some time now since we both had R1's previously and met through the R1 owners forums :smile-new:

As far as the dealer goes, honesty for me is the first thing I look for and If i can pick holes in what they are telling me then I start to question that.

There was just too much messing about over what came down to the sale of a bike that did not belong to them, quite simply they were hoping to make some money out of a bike that they had already sold and that I can understand and appreciate, but to be telling the seller and the buyer two different stories and then allowing them to meet to view the bike and end up discussing the prices being offered was where they went wrong, in fact offering me someone else's bike before a price had been agreed is probably where it went wrong to begin with :concern:

They maintain there is more to it than that and that the owner did mess them around considerably, but who can blame him, they approached him asking if he wanted to sell (why would he? He'd only had the bike nearly 5 months).

I will undoubtedly need to use them for servicing as most of my other bikes I have done my own servicing and not needed to maintain a warranty but I can actually see me taking it further afield rather than there on the back of that experience.

mick , I certainly is I have learned my lesson! lol , agree with the comment about the novice groups pretty hairy at times , I much prefer the open pit days or fast groups , the fast guys are past you and long gone leaving you to concentrate on what you need to do , wee link to my YouTube channel If you fancy a browse https://youtu.be/D71endC5Jg4
cheers David

Back