3000 miles in one week anything I should buy?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andybarsblade

Reaction score
Getting close to my Italy trip and so far my idea of touring modifications include a pair of Dunlop sportsmart2's a tank bag and a satnav.
Is there anything else I should consider fitting/wearing?

I'm worried about cramp in my hands and staying awake more than anything else. Do you think a new screen or deflector would make the trip more bearable?

Resisted the double bubble for ages, 'cos I don't like the look, but it's certainly transformed the comfort on long cruises - no need to duck into it at sensible motorway cruise speeds and my back and neck is long for my height (6 foot). You can get those little clip on paddles for the throttle tube to let you set a cruise throttle and hold it with the heel of your hand rather than the grip round the tube - that might help hand cramp (that I get when riding steady speeds for any length of time)

After 3000 miles, I'd need new knees, mind you...

Resisted the double bubble for ages, 'cos I don't like the look, but it's certainly transformed the comfort on long cruises - no need to duck into it at sensible motorway cruise speeds and my back and neck is long for my height (6 foot). You can get those little clip on paddles for the throttle tube to let you set a cruise throttle and hold it with the heel of your hand rather than the grip round the tube - that might help hand cramp (that I get when riding steady speeds for any length of time)

After 3000 miles, I'd need new knees, mind you...

Good shout on the screen, I've been thinking about one of these http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/MRA...een_Flip_Spoiler_Air_Deflector.html#aCOL59188

I will buy one of those clip on throttle paddles too

I used an Airhawk (blow up motorcycle seat) as my arse gets sore especially when going round Europe. It's a bit expensive for the neoprene one but it made a huge difference for me.

One of these http://www.craftyplugger.com/ plus a few of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-16g-C...ators-Bike-Cycle-tyre-QUALITY-U-/141087708634 and 1 adaptor for screwing the cannister to the valve on the bike.

J have used my Crafty plugger a couple of times, it is the best puncture repair kit ive used. I rode over 3k miles on the repaired tyre not excedding 90 mph though. It stayed up for 4 months and didnt worry me at all.

Last edited:
Getting close to my Italy trip and so far my idea of touring modifications include a pair of Dunlop sportsmart2's a tank bag and a satnav.
Is there anything else I should consider fitting/wearing?

I'm worried about cramp in my hands and staying awake more than anything else.
I use one of these on my Tiger on long trips. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryde-Motorc...id=1396530575&sr=8-1&keywords=throttle+rocker

Also consider getting a couple of Merino wool shirts, expensive but worth it.
I always take a pack of Co-codamol tablets with me along with Ibuprofen, ask a pharmacist as I take both at the same time to stop aches n pains. If im having a long (next) day I take them after dinner and then same again after breakfast.

I've just got back from a 6 day trip to Cannes and back from Manchester. 2300 miles in total.
Lube was the only thing I needed :eek-new:, and some new tyres when I got back. No cramp issues at all, bike was absolutely awesome. I want to go away again!

If you've got more than 1500 miles on your back tyre, it may be worth changing it before you go. Other than that - enjoy!

Chris

Deffo get good rubber for the journey before you go - if youve got sticky summer rubber, maybe consider going for a more touring orientated so you can use a couple of times. My local tyre place charges £6 everytime i swap but worth having the right trye for the job :)

Cant wait to tour on the S1K this year - off to Baden Baden area ;)

After coming back from a euro trip with blisters on my arse I now wear cycling shorts as underwear on long rides. Stops the chaffing and gives a bit of cushion.

the breath test stuff in France last time I checked was that there is a law you must carry the kit but there is no fine or punishment for not, so bollocks really. I bought a pair of kits for a couple of quid on eBay just to be safe. Didn't fancy the gendarme having any reason to mess me about if they stopped me for any reason and screwing up the journey.

Deffo get good rubber for the journey before you go - if youve got sticky summer rubber, maybe consider going for a more touring orientated so you can use a couple of times. My local tyre place charges £6 everytime i swap but worth having the right trye for the job :)

Cant wait to tour on the S1K this year - off to Baden Baden area ;)

If you're not booked in anywhere, I highly recommend Pension Williams. http://www.bike-stay.net/germany/lodging/pensionwilliams.php

Stayed there some years back, superb.

Back