2017 S1000rr sport won't start

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bozz1974

Reaction score
I had planned an early start this morning for a ride round Derbyshire, got all my gear on push the bike out the garage, put the key in and the bike ran through its checks, then nothing. Tried a few times and no joy. The bike is always plugged into a charger and it won't start.

I called bmw and they came out in about an hour, and the diagnosis is, the battery is knackered, and the guy from bmw cannot get a replacement today, the bike is not even a year old yet. The best early May bank holiday for years and no bike,not very impressed tbh.

Has anyone else had this happen to them? My last 3 bikes have been Italian and they are supposed to be the unreliable ones.

Had the same thing happen to me on the second day of owning the bike! Picked the bike up late afternoon the day before, rode home and put it into the garage. I had booked the next day off work to spend the day putting some miles on the bike, and hardly slept with the excitement. Got up in the morning and the bike wouldn?t switch on. The local dealer came out within the hour and picked it up, but by the time they had ran some tests, replaced the battery and ran some further tests, the day was as good as over - very disappointing. The good news is that 6 months on I haven?t had any other issues (famous last words) and the bike has been fantastic.

I have a factory fitted alarm on my bike, which I thought may be the underlying issue.

Thats bad luck.

The battery should last 3 or more years so it is a bit strange that its toast. Is the charger good? Which one do you use?

Battery's are warranted so a replacement will be free.

Someone had a charger on here which didn't do what it was supposed to...just a thought...

- Alex

It's an old optimate charger, the BMW tech did test the battery and volts were ok at 12.5, but it wouldn't pass the load test, just a bit frustrating with the good weather we are having and the local bmw dealer closed with it being a bank holiday.

I had planned on going over to Boston to sports bike shop to look for a new helmet but never made it Saturday as some family stuff came up, glad it did as I might have got stuck in Lincolnshire.

Battery's are warranted so a replacement will be free.

Someone had a charger on here which didn't do what it was supposed to...just a thought...

- Alex
That was me. Halfords charger. It didn't charge the battery although it was indicating charging and then charge complete.

So, flat battery. I put it on another charger and it then charged OK and has been fine in the bike since.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

New battery fitted on Wednesday, so all good again now, just a shame the seems to have gone.

I had a battery issue last year... As Alex said, it was changed under warranty... engineer tested and said issue with 1 of the cells not holding charge.... Since then, no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back