2017 baffle removal

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 2017 bad news or maybe good news

If not a vacuum pipe with a stocking on will sort it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's out. A few big handfuls of gas and it gracefully blew out onto the lawn. Sounds immense with no can!

IMAG4157.jpg

Out out...

Certainly makes a difference. Now debating if I should put them back in before first service...

Did this on mine today, the bloody welds went way down the baffle and then I accidentally went through a bit of the can between the upper and lower exit which is a pain. That said perhaps a little liquid metal will fill it in. still works out a damm site cheaper than an akrapovic!

Once or twice had moments of I bloody hope this will come out and that this is worth it.

Can one of you do a sound clip of this?

Might do it to mine if it sounds much better as an intrim on a full system.

Also forgot to ask, can you put them back in for MOT/servicing or do they rattle like hell?

Hi Johnny. They can be put back in with some persuasion. I left mine out for the first service, which was yesterday. The technician didn't notice/care 🙂

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Difficult to get a sound clip that does it justice. It is definitely louder and deeper and you notice more pops and bangs. If I rode it next to my 750 which has a full system I would not hear the S1K. A full system will give more volume but this cost me next to nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

headed out today for the first spin since removing the baffles, can't say I hear much of a difference but then I am running in so 7k till 300 according to the manual, in sport mode at the moment and presume race is the equivalent of dynamic? the xr didn't really make any pops and crackles unless in dynamic or dynamic pro, which for the latter I presume is the equivalent in s1000rr speak of slick ? Yes you could put them back in but they are such a pain in the arse to remove I am not sure I would. We have no MOT and no noise laws here...

Hi Guys
Seen plenty of videos / instructions on line for removing baffles....... thought i'd give it a go on my 2017.

after 20 mins of careful grinding to remove the spot welds, the cover plate came off with no damage at all to plate or exhaust end... only problem is the baffles are NOT attached to the plate as previous models.

Looks like they are spot welded into the exhaust as 2 separate tubes.

Anyone had a go at removing them or any suggestions???

thanks for the help guys

Spraggy

Ok - took the plunge and removed the baffles last night. Carefull grinding off the welds until you can see the join.
Used a long spanner with a nut and bolt through the end to hook behind the end of the baffle.
Put another spanner through the other end and used a mallet to knock them out.
Sounded loads better but still not good enough!!!
So next was disconnect the exhaust servo... Again different in 2017, no Spring clip, but 1 bolt and 2 little hooks - simple.
Once cover off, unbolt the two cables and fire it up.
Sounds so much better :)
This will last me until a better range of cans are available for 2017 model.
30 mins, no cost, what a result - well happy.

At what revs does the Servo open ? Ran mine for a little bit without the can and it was open at idle.

So next was disconnect the exhaust servo... Again different in 2017, no Spring clip, but 1 bolt and 2 little hooks - simple.
Once cover off, unbolt the two cables and fire it up.
Sounds so much better :)
Spraggy, have you noticed any loss of power in the lo-mid range after disconnecting the valve? I'm curious if manufacturers fit these valves purely to comply with noise reduction/testing or if they do actually use back pressure to increase torque in the lower revs?? Cheers :)

Hi guys
No notice of loss of power but this thing flies anyway!!
No dash lights for servo cable.
The servo does a self test when you turn the bike on. As I have left the actuator (drive motor) in place, the bike thinks everything is connected correctly.
You'll need a servo buddy if you want to remove the actuator totally.
One other thing I did last night was rotate the rear shock bush to increase rear height (I'm 6' 2') and flat footed on standard setting.
This has made it slightly higher.... Will give it a blast in the sun later :)
Don't forget to recalibrate suspension after this !!!!!!
Spraggy

Latest posts

Back